Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Forgotten' disturbances in 1990s Britain.

Re: 'Forgotten' disturbances in 1990s Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It takes us back to the issue of how to spot an Autie. Do we assume everyone acting badly is one, and be afraid to challenge behaviour, or we do assume everyone acting badly is just one of society's pain in the bums, and treat them as antisocial? The complicated truth being somewhere in between and highlighting our need to be non judgemental and to get the facts first.
    I agree, Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I agree, Terry.
    Also of course it's a sad fact of life that old habits die hard, and many people stubbornly refuse to change their views and opinions, no matter how unjust they may be.

I hope that you are able to trust people again, Lenco. There are still good and decent people out there who are understanding and supportive of people with ASD. People who don't judge because there is nothing to judge. Those who judge will always be inferior human beings even if they are classed as "neurotypical". What is neurotypical anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I hope that you are able to trust people again, Lenco. There are still good and decent people out there who are understanding and supportive of people with ASD. People who don't judge because there is nothing to judge. Those who judge will always be inferior human beings even if they are classed as "neurotypical". What is neurotypical anyway?
    I do trust those in my own circle, such as the staff at my day centre, all of whom are lovely caring people who treat us with respect and sympathy and don't treat us like crap, unlike a couple of blokes who worked at my previous day centre, both of whom had very old-school confrontational, masculine 'hard-man' attitudes, and were very pro-zero tolerance and had a habit of 'chastise first, think about it later', and both were very pro-trade unionism with militant tendencies.

Typical Bobby Grant types!

Things are better for you now. People in our past can haunt us or can be put in the "finished" box.

Can't the same be said for all institutions and homes? Disabled people were treated badly, kids were treated badly, women, etc. But things have moved on. Checks are tighter helping to keep out those with bad attitudes.

So, having a good relationship now is what matters most, is more relevant those the ignorance of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Thank you for your reply, Nora. Your post answered far more than the question I asked.
    That's how I roll Pain. Can't work out if that second part is a dig or not?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Can't the same be said for all institutions and homes? Disabled people were treated badly, kids were treated badly, women, etc. But things have moved on. Checks are tighter helping to keep out those with bad attitudes.

So, having a good relationship now is what matters most, is more relevant those the ignorance of the past.
    I agree things have mostly improved nowadays.

But surely we'll still always get the odd cunning, conniving barstewards who slip through the net, especially where there are other motives/agendas involved, such as secret relationships/ affairs between such dodgy staff members and managers, and even the odd backhanders!

There will always be the typical 'they have every right to a job' argument.

As much as it pains me to see mass unemployment and people on the scrapheap in general, jobs have to be earned, and not abused by such unscrupulous barstewards, especially for the sake of their 'human rights'!

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Dunblane massacre is another one forgotten. Most young people today won't know about it.
    Whilst it probably doesn't get brought up in everyday conversation these days, it still remains as pertinent 25 years on, as (for better or worse) school premises are increasingly fortified, plus fears of 'paedogeddon' have probably never been any more prevalent than they are today!

Same for many day centres for adults with disabilities, especially in the more deprived areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    The challenge is ... How do you know? Looking back, I see it was mentioned but in the majority of situations, virtual and real life, it's not like one can tell.

FMP
    Do you mean autism?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information