Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Forgotten' disturbances in 1990s Britain.

Re: 'Forgotten' disturbances in 1990s Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    And poor old WB's 'golden shopping mile ' high street condensed into a cheap, idiotically planned island of grossly over-proportioned modern shopping temples, pound shops and the like, surrounded by snarling circular traffic flow .... thank god the old Library, Town Hall, Law Courts and the Art School in Lodge Road have listings slapped on them or they would have gone the way of the modernism bulldozer. They would even build rabbit-hutch housing on the Oak House and Manor House if they could. All so ugly and no cultural benefit whatsoever.

Ranting today I'm afraid.....
    Nothing wrong with a good rant Dorabella! Along those lines. Places are losing their uniqueness and individuality these days. Years ago whenever I would travel the states everything would be different to it's specific area. You'd see tons of things you wouldn't see at home. Sandwiches and drinks and restaurants and stores would have different names, feels, and flavors. Now when I visit those same places it's all just so chainy, flavorless and generic. Much of what I see there I see at home and everywhere else I go. Too bad.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    And poor old WB's 'golden shopping mile ' high street condensed into a cheap, idiotically planned island of grossly over-proportioned modern shopping temples, pound shops and the like, surrounded by snarling circular traffic flow .... thank god the old Library, Town Hall, Law Courts and the Art School in Lodge Road have listings slapped on them or they would have gone the way of the modernism bulldozer. They would even build rabbit-hutch housing on the Oak House and Manor House if they could. All so ugly and no cultural benefit whatsoever.

Ranting today I'm afraid.....
    I take it you're referring to the King's and Queen's Squares, with the pedestrianised bit of High Street that runs in between. A gross place of a typical late 60s 'concrete jungle'!

Tamworth Library is probably the ugliest building in our town centre, which is yet another 60s concrete monstrosity. I also had a terrible phobia of its original lift when I was a little kid.

The scariest and most horrible lift ever IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I take it you're referring to the King's and Queen's Squares, with the pedestrianised bit of High Street that runs in between. A gross place of a typical late 60s 'concrete jungle'!

Tamworth Library is probably the ugliest building in our town centre, which is yet another 60s concrete monstrosity. I also had a terrible phobia of its original lift when I was a little kid.

The scariest and most horrible lift ever IMO!
    That's the centre of the offensive area Lencoboy - and I remember it before they put up the two indoor squares which are now no better than social meeting areas for vagrants and drunks. That old High Street ran all the way from Carter's Green to the borders of the Handsworth end of the road, before the planners closed the through road and pedestrianised it. Whole town is a 60s concrete 'carbuncle now.

WB Library (where I worked on Saturdays when I was at high school) is a lovely old art-deco interior building (no lift) but still functioning as the town library despite the fact that half of the holdings have been sold off and the reading rooms have now become computer hubs.. They can't close it down or re-purpose it completely due to its listed building status ... thank goodness.

I've followed this thread and the key word in all of it is "forgotten" as there is a reason they were 'Forgotten". To revisit past news events and trends, while relevant when comparing current trends can illuminate reasons and such, they're just that... "forgotten". Their relevance is what you attribute to them. We all have more pressing and important things to concern ourselves with opposed to past obsessions and news.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Here's one of ours (now blown up) that blighted Hanley for ages: Unity House.

This must have been when we were going through our depressive communism stage. Everyone joked about how ugly it was. It was an old council building but sat unused for ages as they moved on.

Remember Unity House, Nora?

More recently we had the waste of money that moved the council building into the CBD costing tons for little benefit. The council got out of less impressive Stoke town centre for Hanley:

Inspired by Clarice Cliff. It looks impressive in the photos on Google. Not so much in real life...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I've followed this thread and the key word in all of it is "forgotten" as there is a reason they were 'Forgotten". To revisit past news events and trends, while relevant when comparing current trends can illuminate reasons and such, they're just that... "forgotten". Their relevance is what you attribute to them. We all have more pressing and important things to concern ourselves with opposed to past obsessions and news.

FMP
    With respect..

Each NMP member sees a thread title and has the choice to read the thread and contribute to the discussion related to that particular topic, or to scroll on.

If this thread isn't for you, why bother to comment? Especially when that comment is basically to say that this thread isn't for you?

I haven't been this confused since the finale of Line of Duty!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

Remember Unity House, Nora?
    I certainly do! That was one UGLY building!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    With respect..

Each NMP member sees a thread title and has the choice to read the thread and contribute to the discussion related to that particular topic, or to scroll on.

If this thread isn't for you, why bother to comment? Especially when that comment is basically to say that this thread isn't for you?

Here! Here!

Well put!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    With respect..

Thank you for your comment.

As I said, I've followed this thread and I'm agreeing with some of the other posters and replies. When the subject causes anxiety or distress (which it has for the OP), then why revisit such things? As a youth, I was upset and concerned about the Vietnam war and protests but I don't go back and revisit them nor do they have any relevance in my life at this point. All I'm saying is the same thing applies. Revisiting things that happened 30 years ago, other than perhaps a history lesson and glimpse into society at the time, does not impact our current situation nor should one allow it to.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 08-05-21 at 16:07.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Thank you for your comment.

As I said, I've followed this thread and I'm agreeing with some of the other posters and replies. When the subject causes anxiety or distress (which it has for the OP), then why revisit such things? As a youth, I was upset and concerned about the Vietnam war and protests but I don't go back and revisit them nor do they have any relevance in my life at this point. All I'm saying is the same thing applies. Revisiting things that happened 30 years ago, other than perhaps a history lesson and glimpse into society at the time, does not impact our current situation nor should one allow it to.

FMP
    Fundamentally, many issues have remained more or less constant over the past 30-odd years though, haven't they?

One thing that has still kept growing exponentially over the same period is........................FEAR!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information