Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Forgotten' disturbances in 1990s Britain.

Re: 'Forgotten' disturbances in 1990s Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Fundamentally, many issues have remained more or less constant over the past 30-odd years though, haven't they?

One thing that has still kept growing exponentially over the same period is........................FEAR!
    I can appreciate what you're saying and yes, you do have a point but personally, I don't allow it to affect me nor should you allow it to affect you in a negative way. The advent of the internet and social media certainly have stirred the pot but one has the freedom to choose what they read, watch, believe, focus on etc.

It's interesting.... The last 4+ years here in the US have been challenging to say the least. It was like living in a reality TV show and honestly, I got really burnt out from it all. Thing is, I allowed it to affect me. The last several months things have changed radically and frankly, the respite from the constant bombardment of nonsense and negativity has been quite noticeable and a bright spot for a change. Heck, I rarely watch the news anymore. If I do, it's certain stories and clips that peak my interest. Instead, I've been enjoying my music more and now, having a new puppy, really been enjoying time with her and the outdoors, especially knowing I'm protected having had the vaccine.

The issues you speak of go back much further than 30 years and I'd be surprised if they ever really move forward and resolve. I saw a parody comic image from MAD magazine from the 60's about the state of our government and the points made then are just as relevant today as they were then. It comes down to making the best with the tools you have. I always talk about attitude and again, that's what it comes down to. We cannot control what happens in this world. From nature to government to people in general, but we do have control over how we allow it to affect us. "Life is 10% what happens to us, 90% how we handle it" - Charles Swindoll.

The human race is one of, if not the most resilient at adapting to changes and challenges. While many in the animal kingdom go extinct due to changes, mankind has persisted and will continue to do so. I do believe we can learn from the past but to do so as a whole and collectively? Realistically? Nahhhh.... BUT.... we can still take what we've learned and apply that to our lives as individuals to make it better for ourselves and those around us. In the big picture, we're only here for a blink of the eye of the universe. Why not try and make is as good as it can be? Don't look at those things from the past and cause yourself angst. Look at them as an opportunity for yourself to make a difference. In the end, that's all that matters anyway.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 08-05-21 at 18:35.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Thank you for your comment.

As I said, I've followed this thread and I'm agreeing with some of the other posters and replies. When the subject causes anxiety or distress (which it has for the OP), then why revisit such things? As a youth, I was upset and concerned about the Vietnam war and protests but I don't go back and revisit them nor do they have any relevance in my life at this point. All I'm saying is the same thing applies. Revisiting things that happened 30 years ago, other than perhaps a history lesson and glimpse into society at the time, does not impact our current situation nor should one allow it to.

FMP
    Hi Fish,

I accept what you say about certain subjects causing anxiety, for sure, but I also know that it's not always helpful to try and shut someone down when they have info that wants out. My husband does it to me. I launch off into my spiel and he shuts me down, and all that does is to make me resent him and want to drop his burger in front of the lurcher. He asks me the same thing too: Why do you do it? I don't know. I just know that I've never been any different. I get fixated. I researched the Hillsborough disaster in depth, and I do mean depth. Serial killers, murders - the works. It's probably not healthy for me, but I also can't help it. This is probably why the only subject I excelled in at school was history! 99% in my mock exam, I'll have you know! It's like that itch you get with Chicken Pox - you absolutely have to scratch!! Only I pick the scab as well - and subsequent scabs.

I can't speak for Len, but I do understand where he comes from a lot of the time, and probably better than most on here. In my case, I've found a pattern that new stressful situations rekindle old ones. The pandemic has stirred up my muck-pot for sure! But then my proverbial waters never, ever, clear.

I sympathise with Len because I know how it feels to have people try and shut me down, and I'd argue that the emotional fall out from that is unhelpful too?

If you have a brain which allows you to choose whether or not to revisit the past then consider yourself fortunate because I don't, and I don't think Len does either. All I can do is to try and make some sense of why people do the things they do..

Today there is a faction out there that doesn't want anyone to look at the past...or better put to look at history accurately. Orwell said: "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

Rock legend Roger Daltrey of "The Who" clearly recognises this. Last week he launched a much-needed attack on the ‘woke generation’ in an interview on The Zane Lowe Show.

Roger Daltrey:

‘It’s becoming so absurd now with… the woke generation. It’s terrifying, the miserable world they’re going to create for themselves. I mean, anyone who’s lived a life and you see what they’re doing, you just know that it’s a route to nowhere. Especially when you’ve lived through the periods of a life that we’ve had the privilege to. We’ve had the golden era. There’s no doubt about that.’

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Hi Fish,

I accept what you say about certain subjects causing anxiety, for sure, but I also know that it's not always helpful to try and shut someone down when they have info that wants out. My husband does it to me. I launch off into my spiel and he shuts me down, and all that does is to make me resent him and want to drop his burger in front of the lurcher. He asks me the same thing too: Why do you do it? I don't know. I just know that I've never been any different. I get fixated. I researched the Hillsborough disaster in depth, and I do mean depth. Serial killers, murders - the works. It's probably not healthy for me, but I also can't help it. This is probably why the only subject I excelled in at school was history! 99% in my mock exam, I'll have you know! It's like that itch you get with Chicken Pox - you absolutely have to scratch!! Only I pick the scab as well - and subsequent scabs.

I can't speak for Len, but I do understand where he comes from a lot of the time, and probably better than most on here. In my case, I've found a pattern that new stressful situations rekindle old ones. The pandemic has stirred up my muck-pot for sure! But then my proverbial waters never, ever, clear.

I sympathise with Len because I know how it feels to have people try and shut me down, and I'd argue that the emotional fall out from that is unhelpful too?

If you have a brain which allows you to choose whether or not to revisit the past then consider yourself fortunate because I don't, and I don't think Len does either. All I can do is to try and make some sense of why people do the things they do..
    Thing is Nora, I'm not trying to shut him down. It's pointing out the fruitlessness of it all of which you also understand. Again, I agree, looking at historical events can help one understand current situations but they also can cause angst and anxiety in some seeing how things haven't really changed and in some cases gotten worse. Getting yourself worked up over it doesn't change that and in fact only hurts you in the long run. That's what I'm pointing out.

I also understand how it's difficult for most here to stop thinking or acting in a certain manner. Like HAers that fixate on an illness and feed their dragon with Dr. Google worst case scenarios. In this case it's not an illness, but the research and rumination is equally destructive mentally and the dragon is well fed.

Yes, I'm fortunate. My mind doesn't work like that but I have had periods in my life where I suffered depression and 'scanxiety'. I recall vividly the feelings of hopelessness and lack of any motivation during my depression and the 'fear' of having my cancer return for several years. The difference is I wasn't always that way and I recognized clearly there was an issue and sought help. Like I did with physical therapy, I worked hard with mental therapy to get myself back to a 'new normal'. I say 'new normal' as the scars remain both physically and mentally from those times.

While certainly there are cases and situations where change is not possible (I watched an incredible interview with a patient in a mental hospital who suffered from severe schizophrenia and OMG! ), I believe most can effectively treat their issues and find their 'new normal' if they truly set their minds to it and I know of several from this forum that have done so successfully.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

I don't believe that it's possible to set your mind to overcoming autism though..despite what some unscrupulous gurus say.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I don't believe that it's possible to set your mind to overcoming autism though..despite what some unscrupulous gurus say.
    If that's the case and what we're seeing are the manifestations of autism, then yes, I see the forest through the trees... as sad as it is

FMP

Lenco has a lot to contend with at home and needs a safe outlet to express his anxieties. I hope we can help him and I'm sure we can even in a small way.

Lenco has a lot to contend with at home and needs a safe outlet to express his anxieties. I hope we can help him and I'm sure we can even in a small way.
    Yes... I read the other thread. That said... focus on what's relevant and important on a personal level. There's enough to contend with in the home situation so why add things to the mix that have no current importance? Whether or not past social unrest has any effect on current events, there's no need to ruminate and add to the real life stress and situation. If at all mentally possible, drop the other stuff and focus on what's truly important. Hopefully, the rest will someday sort itself out.

FMP

These issues are of immense current importance to Lenco though and although dropping stressful issues would be achievable with a neurotypical person it's far more complex here.

These issues are of immense current importance to Lenco though and although dropping stressful issues would be achievable with a neurotypical person it's far more complex here.
    I hear you.... Let's just hope he can achieve a level of peace in the current situation.

FMP

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information