Thread: Any tips/tricks?

Any tips/tricks?

Hi everyone!

I haven’t been here in a bit. I’ve been doing pretty well with my counselor and her techniques. However, I’m an HA sufferer so here I am. I’ve been in and out of the doctors office for my grandmother and believe I was triggered. I’m her ride to appointments and I help her out bc she has Alzheimer’s. So I’m assuming just being around everything triggered me-lots of end of life planning and such so I don’t necessarily have a “health issue” going on for myself, but I believe this is all compiling on me and I’m holding it in. My counselor told me to use the shower to “wash it away” or “pop a conduit” and let it out. I’ve been doing ground exercises, and those are very calming.

I’m struggling with a physical symptom of all of this anxiety. My right shoulder/neck/chest is so tight it’s making it difficult to pick up my almost one year old. The pain originates between my spine and scapula on the right side. The chiropractor adjusted me and said I had a huge muscle knot. I have massaged, used the percussion therapy gun and have minimal relief. I’m assuming calming my anxiety might help it finally unlock. I do Epsom salt baths and biofreeze again some relief but it comes right back the moment my anxiety ramps up. I know this to be true bc it hurt Thursday and then Friday and Saturday I was completely distracted with my sons birthday party (with other vaccinated people) and all the planning- I was fine no issues. Today, I had nothing going on and the anxiousness crept in, boom so did the pain again. Nothing changed I lifted my youngest just as much Friday and Saturday as I do any other day, so I’m coming for tips and tricks to alleviate the muscle tension from anxiety. I almost feel like the tension is causing my anxiety to ramp up. I have the anxiety, I start to feel the pain then the pain continues and I worry, the anxiety increases- vicious cycle.

Sorry I’m wordy. Thank you for your time!
    Erin

Re: Any tips/tricks?

Anyone? Please

Any tips/tricks?

There are no 'tricks' per se' to overcome anxiety or other mental afflictions but there are plenty of tips and resources available. Of course, real life help, especially when you find it challenging to focus enough to help yourself is the way to go.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Do you meditate/practise mindfulness? My mother has Alzheimer's too and it's extraordinarily stressful, so I can completely understand why your shoulder is in knots. I find it helpful to focus on what my body is trying to tell me rather than on the symptom itself. For example, might you be needing to show yourself (as opposed/in addition to your family) more care? My anxiety symptoms also used to ramp up in quiet periods after busy times with family or work - the only time they could make themselves heard I guess. If I focussed on the symptoms themselves it created a vicious circle of stress. My meditation practice helps me (well most of the time anyway!) to understand the language my body - as opposed to my head - speaks, and to be more conscious of what it needs to relax.

Chinesewall is on to something here. The muscle tension is unlikely to be relieved long term by an adjustment or salt bath, but they will offer some temporary relief. You really need to cut off the source of the problem in two ways -

1) Practice relaxation and self care. Meditation is supremely powerful for this. It's not a relaxation technique, it works more as a form of mental grounding. It is simply the practice of focusing on one thing and allowing other thoughts to pass by. You don't have to succeed in focus as you never will, it's just the practice of it.

2) Equally important is to re-frame your relationship with muscle tension and pain. You have made a mental attachment with it which is causing you additional anxiety and it's now a vicious circle (as CW pointed out). Your cycle is anxiety causing tension, focusing on the tension which is causing anxiety...etc. You yourself mentioned that when you have something else to do, it's far less bothersome. What would be a good idea is to sit with the tension and just accept it, for now. Tell yourself you understand why it's there and that it's not dangerous, and over time it will pass. Meditation is useful for this way of thinking too, as meditation helps build the idea of acceptance into your life.

Thread Information