Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Referral to breast clinic- terrified

Referral to breast clinic- terrified

Hi everyone,
    I’ve been referred to a breast clinic after describing my symptoms to my gp over the phone (we couldn’t visit face to face because of COVID). I’m absolutely petrified. I’m only 33, I called the GP after noticing a long, hard cord-like lump running from under my boob into it. I don’t know how else to describe it, it’s not like a round lump it’s like a hard vein.
    I’ve no idea where it came from and now I’m checking both boobs to see what else I can find and I’m convinced the cord thing leads to a lump, and I can feel smaller ones all over both boobs.
    My health anxiety is awful so I’ve been having trouble sleeping and focusing and it’s taken over my mind. I spiral into panic whenever I hear from the doctors or think about going to the breast clinic.
    My anxiety is so bad I can barely eat and when I do I have tummy troubles.
    I just want to go to the clinic and get this over so I know what I’m dealing with, the not knowing is exhausting me. :(

Re: Referral to breast clinic- terrified

OK, don't panic, it could be something called Mondor's from your description, which is most likely a benign condition and produces cord like 'shapes/lumps' in the breast tissue, often underneath and towards the nipple, but can be in other places on the breast too. They are like stretched rope under the skin. It is not a common condition and many medics won't know of it, but can be caused vigorous exercise, an injury to the breast or wearing a very tight bra.
    I have had it myself and it was a large ligament looking hard thing that ran from where the bra band would sit, up into my breast and down onto the ribs (mine was very large and long lol). Is what you are describing hard and painful and came quickly ? It is good to get it checked out, just to be certain, as they are the experts, but please remember that the vast majority of referrals to the BREAST (its not called a breast cancer clinic - note !) are for benign reasons. I'm not saying that I am right, but saying to you that there are so many strange reasons sometimes for breast changes, but the trouble is everybody only thinks of cancer and not the 100 other benign reasons.
    Last edited by Carys; 26-04-21 at 10:22.

Hi Carys,
    Thank you so much for your reply. That’s exactly what it feels like, a long rope/cord thing under my breast and down towards my abdomen. When I first found it, it didn’t hurt but it’s a bit painful now (though I’m not sure if that’s because I’ve been prodding it a lot).
    I sit down at a desk a lot and my bra has been leaving red marks where I found the lump so now I’m afraid to wear it (it is a bit tight but wasn’t causing me discomfort).
    If you don’t mind me asking, how did you notice it and did it go away eventually?

It sounds literally EXACTLY like what you are describing. I will PM you LJay.......as its an indepth story, but your description sounds identical. Lay off the bra, don't wear it would be my first advice.
    Last edited by Carys; 26-04-21 at 11:21.

I’m so scared. I keep reading that mondors is a sign of cancer and have convinced myself that I have it.
    Just want to get the scans done so I know where to go from here :(
    I don’t even want to get in the shower I’m afraid it will lead to more obsessive self-checking

Well, I'm sorry but I have no idea why you have come up with that, I told you on PM that the vast majority of cases , the HUGE majority are totally benign.

Here are my first 2 google searches and what they say -

Mondor's disease of the breast is a benign, self-limiting condition; characterised by thrombophlebitis of the superficial veins of the mammary region.

Mondor's disease is an uncommon, benign (not cancer) breast condition. It's caused by inflammation of a vein just under the skin of the breast or chest wall. It's also known as thrombophlebitis.

Many are caused by exactly what you described which is a bra leaving a red mark and too tight - the exact reason I got mine ! Those who have it combined with cancer have a mass in the breast already, and you don't, infact you told me you had nothing that you can feel. Causes -

• vigorous exercise
    • an injury to the breast
    • wearing a very tight bra

Anyway, best to wait now until you've seen those at the clinic. Your dr hasn't examined you even, so they are clearly being ultra cautious and you do have BC anxiety, so lets be honest you are clearly going to jump to the most 'catastrophic' conclusion. I am assuming that this 'strange cord' came up pretty quickly ? It is wise to have it checked, and the Dr is doing the right thing, as he/she hasn't done an examination - hopefully the ultrasound/and or mammo will put your mind at rest, any 'changes' need checking. I kinda wish I'd not brought up this benign condition, as a HA person like yourself is just going to see and search for all the rare random cases where its connected to BC of course. Anyway, I'm not a diagnoser, I was just offering suggestions that not every change, infact very few breast changes are anything sinister.
    Last edited by Carys; 26-04-21 at 20:51.

Why not listen to an intelligent and informed view from Carys who has been through the mill and back with breast issues?

Do you think she is fobbing you off because I can tell you that she isn't. It's a shame that you have let your anxiety override valuable advice. Your choice though.

Thanks P for your positive and kind words, much appreciated - as always . However, I'm not a medic, and I have come onto this forum and come up with a medical suggestion ( i know we all do it now and again in an attempt to get people to think less catastrophically) but I feel that was probably a mistake and I regret it. Through my PM discussion with LJay it became more and more clear to me that she had a cause and effect going on in the sudden appearance of this 'thing'. The background to her having it appear (including the red mark and pressing from the bra band in the same area) was literally matching my experience in every detail, and the description of the 'thing' matched also. I was also very clear and said it appearing was not related to BC at all. I should have stayed in the realms of vagueties (is that a word?) I feel as I'm not a doctor examining her.
    Last edited by Carys; 26-04-21 at 21:16.

LJay -

Another factor on your side that is positive is age - 33 - very young indeed for sinister breast issues. I think you are just going to have to grit your teeth here now LJay and await the appointment. I don't suppose you even know how long that will be did the Dr say ?

Quote Originally Posted by LJay View Post
    I’m so scared. I keep reading that mondors is a sign of cancer and have convinced myself that I have it.
    Just want to get the scans done so I know where to go from here :(
    I don’t even want to get in the shower I’m afraid it will lead to more obsessive self-checking
    You're in the system now, LJay so having a shower won't change anything and self-checking is counter-productive because the tests will be sufficient to give the doctor an accurate picture of what is going on.. if anything.

I hope you get your appointment through soon so that you know where you stand. Uncertainty just leads to spiralling anxiety.

Carys is the very best person to give you advice though..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information