Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AlS .. very very scared..Dont know how to handle this. Please help

AlS .. very very scared..Dont know how to handle this. Please help

Hi , I'm a 60 year old male who had some back ache for a few months. I went to my gp who sent me to ortho surgeon. The ortho rans multi scans of my spine and said they were ok. Now please keep in mind im heavily stressed about this. Only over past 2 weeks I noticed some left ankle pain n some aching fingers n joints. Blood y ywork ok. It wasnt until my final visit to ortho I noticed my left leg was considerably smaller than right . My calf is smaller n bellow the calf is even more smaller than right. I would say by 1.5 inches in diameter. I showed it to ortho and he seemed concerned and told me it looks
    Like muscle wasting and refereed me to neurologist. Its been 10 days now and it's seems a little smaller and it hurts to walk on..I seem to be walking a little strange. I have an emg scheduled for May 4th.
    I'm extremely nervous .also feel like my movements aren't smooth but I'm watching everything I do also .. so scared ALS..
    Sorry for this long post....

Re: AlS .. very very scared..Dont know how to handle this. Please help

Hi Expresso,

I'm sorry you had no earlier replies, and that you have this physical problem which is understandably, frightening. The only thing that struck me, and I'm not doubting that you have the muscle wastage and walking feels strange etc, but you mention pain 'it hurts to walk on'. Pain isn't usual at all with ALS/MND, its generally an entirely painless condition. Aches and cramps from tired muscles are possible but not actual pain like you describe. Also you say that this started with backache, that would not be at all representative of ALS. So, just wondering how you are getting on today ? I guess the ortho wouldn't comment on ALS as its not his/her area, but wondering if you asked about it anyway ?

Hi cary thank you for answering. I'm extremely stressed out. I see that my left
    Leg is alot thinner then the right. I also have fingers in both hands that ache constantly. All I do is think about I have aks 24/7. My Gp doctor thinks I don't. But he's a just a GP. The Ortho dr seems to think so and the neurologist is giving me an EMG on Tuesday. I'm extremely scared . When I do walk the left ankle seems sore . I am able to walk on tippy toes and heels. Im very very obsessed and stressed over als .

Just a GP? That's a bit dismissive of somebody who's trained for half a decade.

Expresso, did you actually ask the ortho or are you presuming he thinks you have als, because there are other reasons this could be happening. Other 'nerves' in the back/spine for example ? Neurologists don't just deal with ALS/MND.
    Last edited by Carys; 30-04-21 at 15:43.

The ortho took extensive mris and total bone scan of my spine . He said everything was ok. Then I told him about my hands hurting and I showed him my legs he said it looked like muscle wasting n i should see a neuro. That really set me off emotionally.
    I went back to my GP n he csaid that my other leg was swollen [edema) so I felt pretty good, but then he sent me to vascular drvto get compression sox. The vascular doctor told me no I don't have edema and he didn't know why left leg was less muscular. So now who do I believe n my wrist fingers n hands still hurt. Im so stressed about als..Dont know what to do .

My right calf is SO much bigger than my left.... are you sure it hasn’t always been like this?

Well I went to nuero office for my emg. It had an abnormality. The left leg had a small muscle which the tech said he couldn't get a response from. The other muscles had low responses in the lj eft leh which is the smaller leg. All my spine mris are clean. Im very very nervous . Im probably obsessed with als now. Im am still able to walk on toes and heels but left ankle is a little sore. Idkn how to handle this. Every time I lye down on couch n try to relax my body I feel a little twitch here n there...everything including my horse voice for 2 weeks now points to ALS !!!!

Did your Neuro not give any feedback after the emg ?

The dr who gives the test just said that one small muscle wasn't responding. The other muscles on the leg were responding but low intensity. I said to him well I guess this is not a clean emg. He said u only have one abnormality. I have to meet Monday with my nuero. Im really really scared right now. This is the leg that I have atrophy in.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information