Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad is coughing up black lumps of blood, awaiting results, absolutely terrified.

Re: Dad is coughing up black lumps of blood, awaiting results, absolutely terrified.

Hiyer,

Its funny you've reminded me of myself as I'm quite like you nowadays with my response to things - I didn't used to be in my younger years. I now go through a day of fear, panic and terror about certain important and serious things, then process it during that terror and feel 'settled'. I don't mean that I'm happy about a situation, but it doesn't consume me and I am accepting in a way I wasn't able to many years ago. Accepting is an easier place to be, and certainly for me I can't reach that without doing through the 'being terrified', if that makes sense. Anyway, glad you are coping ok today
    Last edited by Carys; 28-04-21 at 09:54.

Re: Dad is coughing up black lumps of blood, awaiting results, absolutely terrified.

I'm the same, Carys..It's almost as if you make peace with the "being terrified" bit, make a plan as to how to manage it and carry on having confronted the fear and accepted it.

We all have our "ways"...Hoping that your dad has had a better day and is stable.

Morning both,

Thank you.

He hasn't heard from his consultant and she said if anything nasty was found she would call him immediately. He had the CT on Tuesday and it take 1-2 days so we are hoping and praying that no news is good news and she doesn't call today.

I was fine all day yesterday but found my heart racing all night and I'm sat at work now and my heart rate is 120!

Like subconscious anxiety?!

Trying to calm it down.

Will keep you posted xx

Thinking of you; hope it all works out as well as possible.

I'm not surprised that you're on high alert. Try not to monitor your heart rate though..you just don't need the hassle.

I'm sure his CT will have been fasttracked by the radiographers to the consultant for assessment. It's horrible when you are wanting the phone NOT to ring. It will be a long day..Being at work may help to distract you a bit though.

Good luck for today and here's hoping that there's no phone call.

Thank you both so much.

We think she would have called Tuesday afternoon. I know in the past when there has been a problem I have been contacted on same day. She said she would call immediately but hasn't.

Today he has received a follow up appointment for 18th May. Just hoping its a routine follow up??! They wouldn't make him wait this long if it was bad bad news??

Thanks so much for messaging x

Oh its so hard, trying to analyse and second-guess the NHS system. At their end its just admin, letters and formalities/appointment making and all the known facts, at the end of the worried patient/family every single second has meaning or potential meaning. 18th May does seem a long time to wait if it's something really urgent doesn't it, and I would be thinking the same as you, and the fact that there has been no 'immediate call', however, really it would be nice to hear something wouldn't it so you could stop analysing and know the facts. Is there no contact that he/you have to call or email ?

As for your heart rate - thats nothing, its to be expected and stress and adrenaline are designed to do that. I've fallen down the 'checking heart rate trap' far too many times in my life, and sometimes still do, but I tell you this is won't go down to normal rates until I stop checking it and sometimes that can take a long time - days. (120 isn't that high anyway)

Morning,

Thanks for your reply.

I have turned the HR monitor off on my fitbit lol. That will definitely help, and doing my actual job 😅

He has her secretary's number but doesn't want to call, he said they would have called by now. He's not bothered in the slightest. Or so he tells me!

Huge thanks xx

I have turned the HR monitor off on my fitbit lol. That will definitely help, and doing my actual job ��
    Ah yes, this is the reason I don't have a fitbit, my family have offered one as a present, as they have had them for years, and then the implications were realised..... I tell you what too - I can honestly just think about my heart being fast for it to be fast. I once tested it with a heart app.

He has her secretary's number but doesn't want to call, he said they would have called by now.
    Ahhhaaa, yes, I see.....well, heres the thing....hes not the only one affected is he. Would he call just to put your mind at rest or let you call ? He's more than likely right, and many people would be doing the same as him; its either a choice for 'blissful' ignorance, or head in sand and not wanting to confront, or genuinely thinks its ok. Its tough on you though. Its a difficult one isn't it, to deal with, as its his body and his health.
    Last edited by Carys; 29-04-21 at 10:44.

Thanks Carys.

Yes he's very headstrong, a man's man and I won't push him. I'll just try to let it all go again. 😊

He has to self isolate from Saturday ready for his camera into the lungs on Tuesday.

Poor thing, sounds so awful.

Xx

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information