Thread: Uneven Pupils

Uneven Pupils

I started Citalopram on Monday morning For anxiety and depression, first time and noticed by evening my pupils were now uneven. Not hugely but still quite noticeable. It’s been a few days and they’re still the same. They’re reacting normally to light and I don’t seem to have any vision impairments. Aside from this I’ve not noticed any other symptoms yet. The morning before I started the tablets my eyes were perfectly normal as they have always been. Anybody had a similar experience or any advice? Should I continue to take or contact my doctor and ask or? Would anybody else consider this a symptom to worry about or just take it as something that could pass in time?
    Last edited by SelmaBouvier; 28-04-21 at 19:45.

Re: Uneven Pupils

to NMP,

Dilated (mydriasis) and uneven pupils (anisocoria) are common side-effects of most antidepressants (ADs) and many other medications. It might be a short-lived effect or continue as long as you're taking citalopram. It is not a sign of anything other than serotonin isn't just a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body, including in muscle function, and these can be affected by ADs. Mention it to your GP at your next meeting, but it is probably not a cause of concern if you don't have pre existing vision issues.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    to NMP,

Dilated (mydriasis) and uneven pupils (anisocoria) are common side-effects of most antidepressants (ADs) and many other medications. It might be a short-lived effect or continue as long as you're taking citalopram. It is not a sign of anything other than serotonin isn't just a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body, including in muscle function, and these can be affected by ADs. Mention it to your GP at your next meeting, but it is probably not a cause of concern if you don't have pre existing vision issues.

Thank you for your reply and the welcome I’ll try not to worry and to bring it up to my Doctor, he’s calling to check how the meds are working in a week or so so I’ll mention it then. Still have it today.

Just a quick heads-up; something like 25% of the population have physiological anisocoria that might not always show up; I had a huge panic over it a few years ago and my GP wasn't remotely worried. It does sound as though yours might relate to the citalopram, but based on my own experiences I wouldn't be in the least bit worried.

Thread Information