Thread: Anxiety & Headaches

Anxiety & Headaches

I have had a headache for nearly 3 weeks now. My neck is very tender and the pain seems to go up round the back of my head and then round the sides to the front and then it feels like someone is squeezing my skull.

In addition to this I have had the Astra vaccine 10 days ago and of course they mention a headache after 4 days and you could have a blood clot. I am trying to stay normal because a brain tumour or blood clot would see me having more symptoms than just a headache I would imagine.

On top of this my general anxiety has seen me reach for the doc for the first time in 20 years. In the last few weeks for no reason at all I cannot drive on the motorway without freaking out, I had thoughts I was going crazy and had to use alcohol as a calming measure on giving a presentation to 30 plus people at work to stop a meltdown.

Long and short of it is I have been prescribed 50mg of sertraline and 40mh of propranolol. Of course now I am stressing about taking both as I know both can have side effects one of which is headaches. So what to do - go back to the doc and get the headaches resolved before I take the tablets or take the tablets and hope the headache then goes away.

I have taken my blood pressure today regularly - its around 138/90 - bottom reading being slightly concerning as this sort of reading is high for me but I am putting it down to stress and anxiety about this headache.

Not sure I am expecting a right answer here but as you all know its sometimes good to get on paper what your thought process is.

Re: Anxiety & Headaches

So what to do - go back to the doc and get the headaches resolved before I take the tablets or take the tablets and hope the headache then goes away.
    Well, thats tough - have you mentioned the original headache to the doctor ? The one that started 3 weeks ago ? You went there for being anxious, but wondering if your physical symptoms - the neck pain etc. were assessed ?

Hi, I have the same symptoms as you. I had the AstraZeneca vaccine 12 days ago and also have the strange squeezing like headache in the same areas as you.

How are you feeling now? I’m worried about blood clots too.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Well, thats tough - have you mentioned the original headache to the doctor ? The one that started 3 weeks ago ? You went there for being anxious, but wondering if your physical symptoms - the neck pain etc. were assessed ?
    Yes, he thinks it's a tension headache and actually after starting anti do's and doing exercises its eased a little. Co-codamol helped aswell

Thread Information