Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of passing out due to needles

Fear of passing out due to needles

Hi,
    Over the past year I've formed a phobia of passing out and also needles, never passed out in my life and I'm covered in tattoos lol!
    Last year my dad ended up in a coma and I think that's what's triggered it, I've started to look at pictures of needles which is OK, but honstly I don't know what I'm scared more of, has anyone had this before and how do I get over this,

Thankyou

Re: Fear of passing out due to needles

To be honest I just look away so I don't have to see them.

Can't you just do that?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Are you talking medical needles here, like for injections ? (not sewing needles or pine needles )

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    To be honest I just look away so I don't have to see them.

Can't you just do that?
    No its the thought of passing out that scares me

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Are you talking medical needles here, like for injections ? (not sewing needles or pine needles )
    Yes medical needles lol

I never ever had an issue with needles. I was getting allergy shots at 10 years old so.... That said, after my cancer treatment, I developed a visceral physical reaction to needles. Toward the end of cancer treatment, my veins were virtually non-existent and it often took 3-4+ jabs with a big needle to get the chemo meds into me. I truly don't fear them but my body reacts with... how can I put this... the willies?

My wife hates needles and I've gotten puncture wounds and bruises from her digging her nails into me when they draw blood or give her shot

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

No its the thought of passing out that scares me
    Would you pass out though, even if you were the sort to pass out, if you don't see it even going into your skin ? I don't have a needle problem, but I thought it was looking at it piercing the skin that was the issue and if you didn't see that then it was not likely to happen. So, its not that you fear the needle, but fear fainting from seeing the needle ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Would you pass out though, even if you were the sort to pass out, if you don't see it even going into your skin ? I don't have a needle problem, but I thought it was looking at it piercing the skin that was the issue and if you didn't see that then it was not likely to happen. So, its not that you fear the needle, but fear fainting from seeing the needle ?
    Yes it's thought of seeing it I suppose, I want lip filler which I've had before but the thought of it now, I'm more fearful of passing out

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I never ever had an issue with needles. I was getting allergy shots at 10 years old so.... That said, after my cancer treatment, I developed a visceral physical reaction to needles. Toward the end of cancer treatment, my veins were virtually non-existent and it often took 3-4+ jabs with a big needle to get the chemo meds into me. I truly don't fear them but my body reacts with... how can I put this... the willies?

My wife hates needles and I've gotten puncture wounds and bruises from her digging her nails into me when they draw blood or give her shot

FMP
    Yes I know what you mean about the Willie's lol,

I can end up going vasovagal when giving blood, usually nearly fainting rather than actually fainting. I've also been through months in the past where I would feel like fainting a fair bit for some unknown reason, possibly anxiety.

Best thing to do is ground yourself in something physical like air from a fan, or something to rub in your pocket, or the weight of your heels on the ground. Also talking to people can help.

You've probably picked up an association with what happened with your dad, and also you will no doubt have anxiety associated with this. Accept this, try and ground yourself and hopefully this will ease over time.

Is there anything this is stopping you from doing or any particular scenarios when this fear most comes to the surface?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information