Thread: Nausea, gut issues, anxiety, IBS?

Nausea, gut issues, anxiety, IBS?

Hi guys, i would appreciate opinions, feedback, etc if possible on this... Approx 5 years ago i started randomly with constant nausea and stomach gurgling etc, had every test possible via the Gastro and samples etc. tried different diets he suggested etc and nothing changed. anyway, i got depressed over the symptoms and eventually went on antidepressants, within weeks of being on these, the nausea and gut issues went away and never came back.... so the doctor concluded it must have been anxiety, eventhough i didnt know i had anxiety?! Side note, i was diagnosed by a gastro 12 years ago with IBS. so i do have a sensitive gut.

I eventually after having my baby inbetween all this had a massive anxiety flare up after a life threatening birth with panic attacks and really severe anxiety, so it seems i did have anxiety after all as my therapist said it was a secondary reaction to an abusive childhood...

Fast forward 5 years and i've weaned off my antidepressants for numerous reasons, poop out, side effects etc. and i've been off them 8 weeks now, my nausea has returned with the gurgling again, stomach cramps etc. basically my whole gut is a mess.

My question i guess.... is it possible for antidepressants to calm my gut down? either for anxiety or IBS.... i dont think its coincidental. But, i do have the thoughts going around wondering, what if its not anxiety or IBS, should i get all those gastro tests done again etc etc. Can anxiety ACTUALLY cause these horrible gut symptoms?!?! I struggle to believe its just my anxiety or the anxiety flaring my IBS up as sometimes its so bad!

I really hope someone replies

Re: Nausea, gut issues, anxiety, IBS?

I’m not a doctor but anxiety wreaks havoc on the gut. If you’ve had these same symptoms off and on for so long I think it’s safe to say you don’t have anything seriously wrong with you medically. If you are concerned perhaps run it by your doctor though. I know some people with IBS take antidepressants to help with their gut issues. I have IBS but just don’t like side effects of meds, so I don’t take them. If I’m having a bad flare I’ll take Imodium for the diarrhea, but I won’t take antidepressants. I have a sensitive gut too, but sometimes it’s food that sets it off and other times it’s just my anxiety. I have the Calm app on my phone and find it to be quiet helpful. Just FYI.

yes i would say ibs as i myself have had this confirme in hospital, also the dr recommended pro biotics daily and have been on them 3 weeks and can see a difference starting already

Thanks Julie, I take probiotics at the moment but I'm changing to a different type as they aren't doing much.

Yep I've got the calm app too, I've been meditating every morning for a couple of weeks now so I'm hoping that helps eventually. Doesn't help that I'm still in withdrawal from a cold turkey antidepressant taper! :-( my gut is in bits x

acidophilus chewable strawberry from holland and barret i find are great, taste lovely but not tried blueberry but only allowed 2 a day but in 3 weeks have been amazing

Thread Information