Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First dose of AstraZeneca before under 40s guidance changed

First dose of AstraZeneca before under 40s guidance changed

*Trigger warning - discussing vaccine side effects and fears*

Hi,

I was just hoping to perhaps get some reassurance as my anxiety has sky rocketed thanks to the new guidance rolled out in the UK today regarding AstraZeneca.

Iím in my early 30s and had my first dose of AstraZeneca last week. Iíve struggled to keep my anxiety under control because of the blood clot stories in the news. To the point Iíve been wishing I never had it as itís made my anxiety so bad.

This morning I woke up with day 6 of a headache since my jab. This headache isnít severe and doesnít match any of the criteria to call 111 on the NHS website but itís there. Like a tension headache behind my eyes.
    Well with this in mind, Iíve just seen the news bulletin that under 40s should not have AstraZeneca due to the blood clot risk. I went into an immediate panic attack. My heart went insane.

Iím really struggling to get my anxiety under control. This is a mild headache and I just canít even tell any longer if itís stress causing the headache.

Thank you for any tips or reassurance.

Daisy

Re: First dose of AstraZeneca before under 40s guidance changed

Hi Daisy,
    I'm so sorry you're feeling this way because it's something I've been worried about myself.

About your headache - I always get told by my Doctor that if your headache sticks to a "pattern" over several days, that's actually a good sign. The fact you've had a fairly consistent type of headache sounds re-assuring, and from what I have read any "clot induced" headache would be very painful indeed and effect your eyesight ect - in other words, it'd be really obvious and not just a mild headache. That said, by all means talk to a dr if you think that might help because I'm obviously not medically trained I'm just sharing what I've read.

Does the headache ease up if you take painkillers? If i were in your situation I think I would probably take painkillers consistently every 4 hours, work on some neck exercises (a lot of headaches happen due to neck tension) - lots of good ones on youtube- and basically just ban myself from looking at the news to avoid further worry.

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. Everything with covid and now side effects for jabs, itís a lot for those of us with health anxiety.

My headache definitely goes away with pain killers. It feels as if Iím crossed eye, that kind of sensation. Definitely tension behind the eyes and across the forehead etc. But Iím sure I am tensing my neck and shoulders and paying attention to my head a lot more than normal!

It becomes really hard to know what is to be expected and what warrants worrying about. The news today has just thrown me into a panic. I wish I never knew the risks and side effects. I refused the side effects list at the jab but itís hard to escape the stories of clots on social media, radio, tv etc.

This is from the NHS website; it says the main symptoms of the clot would be:

• "a severe headache that is not relieved with painkillers or is getting worse"
    • "a headache that's unusual for you and occurs with blurred vision, feeling or being sick, problems speaking, weakness, drowsiness or seizures (fits)"

It definitely doesn't sound like you have either of those!

I would be worrying too in your situation because like you I've been very stressed seeing the news reports, but given that you've said yourself you're feeling stressed & tense, this is very likely to be a tension headache. I hope you feel better soon
    Last edited by anxious_dan; 07-05-21 at 21:05.

Hi DaisyFay,

Hope youíre feeling a bit better now! Iím the same as you, Iím 31 and I had my AstraZeneca vaccine on the 17th April. I am now out of the 4 days- 4 weeks time period of clot symptoms but I have to reassure you that I had very very similar symptoms to you. I had a headache for like 3 weeks after my vaccine. Like you it wasnít severe but literally everyday. I gave myself stomach issues and pain in my calves and palpitations. Conveniently all of this disappeared as soon as I hit day 28 after the vaccine. Anxiety can cause of a lot of symptoms to come up, especially tension headaches. I also contacted my GP because I was so stressed and he did tell me that symptoms to do with a clot would not come and go and would get consistently worse. Our minds are our worst enemies sometimes. Although the guidance has changed for under 40s, the likeness of getting a clot even for younger ages is very rare. Try not to stress! Youíll be okay

Quote Originally Posted by PiaR View Post
    Hi DaisyFay,

Hope youíre feeling a bit better now! Iím the same as you, Iím 31 and I had my AstraZeneca vaccine on the 17th April. I am now out of the 4 days- 4 weeks time period of clot symptoms but I have to reassure you that I had very very similar symptoms to you. I had a headache for like 3 weeks after my vaccine. Like you it wasnít severe but literally everyday. I gave myself stomach issues and pain in my calves and palpitations. Conveniently all of this disappeared as soon as I hit day 28 after the vaccine. Anxiety can cause of a lot of symptoms to come up, especially tension headaches. I also contacted my GP because I was so stressed and he did tell me that symptoms to do with a clot would not come and go and would get consistently worse. Our minds are our worst enemies sometimes. Although the guidance has changed for under 40s, the likeness of getting a clot even for younger ages is very rare. Try not to stress! Youíll be okay
    Thabks for writing that Pia, I'm 36 and I get my 2nd jab of AZ today. In the weeks leading to the vaccination I was going back and forth on whether to take it or not. In the end I didn't cancel it, and I am going there at 16:00. I still feel some nervousness around it, but I try not to think about it for now.

Thank you so much for your lovely post.
    I was exactly the same, my headache continued for a few weeks then disappeared around the time I entered the Ďsafe zoneí. So probably a small amount of side effects but mostly anxiety.
    Iíve had to up my therapy sessions, which my therapist generously offered to do for free as I started having daily panic attacks.
    For me, it was a massive trigger.
    But a month out now, all sides effects gone and daily panic attacks stopped.
    Iím going to need to do some work on my anxiety before my next dose as Iím already starting to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwant2bhealthy View Post
    Thabks for writing that Pia, I'm 36 and I get my 2nd jab of AZ today. In the weeks leading to the vaccination I was going back and forth on whether to take it or not. In the end I didn't cancel it, and I am going there at 16:00. I still feel some nervousness around it, but I try not to think about it for now.
    Well done for sticking to the appointment. It takes guts to face up to a fear. I hope all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyFay View Post
    Well done for sticking to the appointment. It takes guts to face up to a fear. I hope all went well.
    Hi Daisy, It did. I feel very good. Much, much better than after receiving the 1st dose. No headache, no chills, no weakness, nothing! Apparently if you had some side effects after the 1st dose you won't have any after the 2nd. Looking at your side effects it's good news for your second dose!

Quote Originally Posted by Iwant2bhealthy View Post
    Hi Daisy, It did. I feel very good. Much, much better than after receiving the 1st dose. No headache, no chills, no weakness, nothing! Apparently if you had some side effects after the 1st dose you won't have any after the 2nd. Looking at your side effects it's good news for your second dose!
    Iím so glad it all went well. I have booked my second jab for in a few weeks so it is good to hear that the second time has gone much better. I will be glad when itís all done! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information