Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My anxiety is so bad about getting the vaccine...

Re: My anxiety is so bad about getting the vaccine...

Quote Originally Posted by anxious_dan View Post
    I wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow Jen! Despite the anxiety and nerves (which are totally normal) , I get the impression you're feeling more positive about this which is so nice to see.
    You're going to be just fine. One thing I can guarentee you, having gone through all the same anxiety you're experiencing is that the injection will all be over with very quickly.

The 15 minuet wait is a bit scary, yes. But allergic reactions are so rare that you've got a greater than 99.9% chance of being totally fine. The main battle will be controlling anxiety and the worry that something bad will happen. But it won't, you'll get through it, and you'll be really proud of yourself for pushing past the anxiety and getting it done Hope it goes as well as it possibly can, I'm sure it will!
    Hi Dan,

Thank you! I am feeling more positive but still trying to fight the nerves and anxiety. At this point I just can’t wait to get it over with tomorrow.

Thank you for helping me through all of this, I hope tomorrow goes by smoothly and I don’t get that scary adrenaline rush from the nerves. I hope you are doing well also!

Today is finally the day of my vaccine and I’m not feeling as positive as I was yesterday. The anxiety has already started and the appointment is 4 hours away.

Trying not to think the worst but it’s so so hard.

Don't think anything at all, Jen. Get it done if you can. If you can't then walk away. It's always going to be your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Don't think anything at all, Jen. Get it done if you can. If you can't then walk away. It's always going to be your choice.
    I really don’t want to walk away, I need to do this. Just wish it wasn’t so scary...even after reading so many positive stories I am still nervous.

You know what Jenn, try to think beyond the vaccine. These things become so huge and overwhelming that that is all you focus on and it is the big brick wall facing you with nothing beyond it. I found that thinking beyond the vaccine (or any event you find negative) helps to retrain your brain into being less fearful as life will continue after the appointment - e.g. when I get home I am going to cook some biscuits, later on tonight what will I watch on t.v. ? Shall I do some of my craft later ? ....AND.....that is the fact, your life will continue just fine after the vaccine

That's excellent advice from Carys. Have a plan for later on and don't make it all about the vaccine. Keep yourself occupied. You don't want to walk away but if you do, you do. There's always another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    You know what Jenn, try to think beyond the vaccine. These things become so huge and overwhelming that that is all you focus on and it is the big brick wall facing you with nothing beyond it. I found that thinking beyond the vaccine (or any event you find negative) helps to retrain your brain into being less fearful as life will continue after the appointment - e.g. when I get home I am going to cook some biscuits, later on tonight what will I watch on t.v. ? Shall I do some of my craft later ? ....AND.....that is the fact, your life will continue just fine after the vaccine
    Hello Carys, thank you for this. That’s exactly how I was thinking, like this is a huge brick wall. My Life will definitely continue after the vaccine, and with a more peace of mind to think my body is building some protection against this virus. Getting that would make my anxiety much worse than the short anxiety I will feel before and after receiving the vaccine, so it’s worth it. Thank you!

That's excellent advice from Carys. Have a plan for later on and don't make it all about the vaccine. Keep yourself occupied. You don't want to walk away but if you do, you do. There's always another chance.
    I still feel the same dread at the thought of having an operation with a full-on general anaesthetic, as I am still quite emetophobic, and when I had my adenoids removed back in 1981 when I was 4, I puked all over the pillow of my bed back in the ward as soon as I started to come round again.

The general anaesthetic was sourced from the older type 'gas' inhaled via a face mask, and it tasted bloody vile!

Though of course it's very likely that things have changed and even improved markedly over the 40 years that have since elapsed, it still gives me the heebies thinking about it today, in case some hospitals might still be using older equipment/methods and/or anaesthetics of older types/formulations.

Sorry to digress and hijack this thread for my own other personal anxieties.

Yes, it’s great advice. I really needed someone to talk to about it before going today, so thank you for the support, pulisa!

I went to my appointment and just couldn’t do it. I wasn’t able to even make it out of my car and I was in panic mode.

I saw about 80 people standing outside waiting in line. I just couldn’t see myself waiting in that line for so long already anxious to begin with. I feel terrible about it and hopefully one day soon I’ll be able to work up the courage and rebook :(.

I think I will try again next month, maybe at a different and smaller location.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information