Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i am elderly and terrified as I have been told i may have covid

Re: i am elderly and terrified as I have been told i may have covid

"I read that it is cancer that causes these fevers"....? Maybe challenge this theory. Chinadoll?

I agree with Scass and I hope you soon feel better and that this is enough "evidence" for you.

You'll be repeating the calprotectin test anyway so that will be a good indication re any potential inflammation.

Really good news about the negative covid test but of course you'll be searching for another reason for the temperature which will keep you in the anxiety cycle.

Its right I am searching for another reason for the temp, but have managed not to google today. There's no peace with HA. I'm not to do the stool test until I am better as any infection could affect the result. So putting that out of my mind at the moment. I am a little better, my temp went normal at bedtime last night, Ok first thing today, on the brink at teatime, but I do feel hot and a little ill tonight, but not too bad. I hope its going in the right direction. I've had a better day overall.

I have lost more weight today, and am trying not to panic, it is the lowest it has been for a couple of years. What I had yesterday was one complan, and for dinner a few carrots, small amount of mash and a tiny amount of meat, plus a small lemon sponge with custard, that has been typical for me this week. I want to believe that is not enough to maintain my weight, am I right? Plus all the sweating and anxiety.

Thank you for your replies

Glad to hear you had a negative for Covid.

If you have an infection that alone can cause temperature issues. My mum is 79 and in recent months she had infections which caused high temperatures. The effects were new but apparently common in elderly people. The advice we were given was to use paracetamol and cool her down. So we used fans, took her dressing gown off, etc. Applying these methods reducing the symptoms she was experiencing due to a high temperature. She was seen by 2 nurses the first day this happened and her temperature has reduced when examined by the 2nd.

So if you feel it coming on take steps to bring it down and perhaps you will be feeling better?

You are eating very little so it's not helpful to keep on weighing yourself. Weighing yourself easily becomes obsessive and just leads to panic and continual anxiety.

The weight will come back very slowly once you get over this blip and your anxiety levels level out..and your appetite picks up. Is there any particular food that you can eat with enjoyment or are you forcing anything down?

Following on from what Pulisa said, even if you're not a particularly active person I'd say that what you're eating isn't very much at all (a typical serving of Complan is under 250 calories) and is the root cause of your weight loss.

Latest Update: I am feeling better, my temp has been normal for the last three days. I think it could be reaction to the jab as I looked it up and apparently a very small number in the trials did have a temperature for more than a week as a side effect. Tiny but possible.

I have been eating better the last few days and I have put on 2 lbs so that is a start. I can see now that it was my anxiety and not eating much that caused the weight to come off.

Thank you all for your input, it does help me get through these times.

Congrats on the weight gain and for accepting that you've been at the mercy of your HA catastrophising.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and have an improved appetite. Another battle won!

Pleased you are feeling better. Keep on looking after yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good news there, I'd say

After a few good days, I'm back panicking. why is there always something. My temp is staying down thank goodness but every day and night I keep getting awful hot sweats, some days more than others. They last a while and then go and I feel better, they are very uncomfortable. I remembered reading a couple of years ago that they could be an early sign of cancer. I must have been having them then and they went I suppose. I don't remember much about it except what I read.

I have been trying to be calm about my weight but there is always worry about it lurking. I put that 2 lbs on and was hopeful, however 2 days ago I have a bad day with anxiety as my son has gone on holiday, and that always makes me anxious. He has HA and understands me and I can talk to him. I didn't eat well and lost 1 lb, doesn't sound much but every ounce counts with me. I am a low weight anyway and notice it. I'd be happy if I could put on about 4 pounds but that seems to elude me.

As I say I was trying to keep calm. To explain since I was widowed 18 months ago this man has been pestering me. He runs the dance club I was going to until lockdown last year as it had to close. He keeps ringing me and telling me he is taking me out, not asking, telling. I don't want to go and feel harassed by it. He says we need to chat because of lockdown. I don't want to offend him but he is a nuisance. Why I mention this he talks about illnesses a lot which I don't need. Today just when I don't need it he said if you lose weight they suspect cancer, not anything else. Now that is burned in my brain and I am can't think of anything else.

Any positive thoughts for me please to replace the negative ones I now have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information