Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Swollen Lymph Node

Re: Persistent Swollen Lymph Node

Got a hard lump on the side of my neck and shitting myself. Bloods are normal, x-ray looks normal I think (haven't had results but I've asked for a copy and from my limited time at medical school it looks fine to me) but waiting for ultrasound and needle biopsy. Have lower back pain though and a throat I haven't been able to clear. No fever but my face feels hot lately but I'm not sure if that's because I've been googling symptoms. Arghhh I hate this. I hate the wait.

My son had a lump under his jaw, turned out to be a salivary gland tumor, benign thank God.

My point being that our bodies do weird things, grow weird things but they are not always sinister.

I'm sorry you're going through this, no one hates tests and waiting for results more than I do but its got to be resolved so you can move forward.

All the best to you ox

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    My son had a lump under his jaw, turned out to be a salivary gland tumor, benign thank God.

My point being that our bodies do weird things, grow weird things but they are not always sinister.

I'm sorry you're going through this, no one hates tests and waiting for results more than I do but its got to be resolved so you can move forward.

All the best to you ox
    Thank you for posting this. I found it helpful. If they diagnose me I'll worry then.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the support and comments. Just popping in to say that I talked to my doctor about the ultrasound. She was miffed at the NP for her choice of words and said that the report actually states it is a "complex cystic mass that should be further evaluated for possible abcess, cyst, or mass". So that made it seem less scary.

Biopsy was today. Quick and painless. When the doctor was done she said "Oh, I must have hit a cystic part because there's fluid". I will say, though the amount was small, the stuff that came out from the tiny needle hole could have been featured in a Dr. Pimple Popper video 🤮

The doctor said at worst case it's a parotid gland tumor, which are benign ateast 80% of the time. She is scheduling me for a CT just in case and said to wait to hear back about the biopsy results.

The spot now after the biopsy feels strange. The lump is still there and still feels hard, but the skin in the area feels deflated. Almost like a balloon with a slow leak. Normally the skin there feels very taught and under pressure and not so much right now. Maybe I am imagining things.

So more waiting. I can't help but hope it just ends up being a cyst.

The waiting is horrific isn't it? I am sorry you're going through this and hope you have a resolution soon.

Your posts are taking me back when we went through this, the only way I could stop my spiraling mind especially in the middle of the night was to pray. Im not a huge religious person but I found leaning on the faith that I do have kept my anxious mind occupied and blocked out the intrusive thoughts.

There's only one way out of this now, you've got to get answers to what it is.. and what it is not.

Keeping good thoughts for you. Please keep us updated

Tomorrow will be two weeks since my fine needle aspiration biopsy.

The doctors office called me this morning at 9:30 to let me know my results were in and the doctor would be calling me between 3-4pm.

Seems horribly cruel to call just to make me wait as an anxious mess all day. I'm vollying between crying and feeling numb. I both want an answer and wish they had never called.

3.5-4.5 more hours to go.

Yes it surely is cruel. I am sorry you're going through this. Please check im when you hear from your Dr.

Good thoughts coming you're way.

Quote Originally Posted by Punky789 View Post
    Tomorrow will be two weeks since my fine needle aspiration biopsy.

The doctors office called me this morning at 9:30 to let me know my results were in and the doctor would be calling me between 3-4pm.

Seems horribly cruel to call just to make me wait as an anxious mess all day. I'm vollying between crying and feeling numb. I both want an answer and wish they had never called.

3.5-4.5 more hours to go.
    So? What were the results?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    So? What were the results?

FMP
    You know, I'm still a bit unsure. The phone call was very brief. The doctor started off saying, "I got the results of your fine needle aspiration. It showed nothing sinister."

Big sigh of relief!

But then followed it up with, "it's still somewhat indeterminate, though, so we're going to go ahead with the CT."

The impression I got was that she is operating under the assumption now that it is a cyst and is trying to determine if it is superficial enough for her to "slice and dice" in her office or if it is deeper and needing a more involved removal. She said it felt very superficial to her, which is also I guess what the ultrasound showed (that wasn't told to me previously).

She said that when she did the needle the "fluid" that came out aligned with what you would see from some type of cyst. I think she said an epidermoid cyst?

She said she will follow up again after I have the CT. That hasn't been booked yet. But she did repeat twice that it was nothing sinister and that she was positive it was not a tumor.

So for now that is, I think, as good an answer as I have and one I am more than happy to accept!

Good news !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information