Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Persistent Swollen Lymph Node

Re: Persistent Swollen Lymph Node

Quick update post biopsy #2.

So the doctor is confident, even without the results yet, that the lesion is benign. How can she be sure?? Well the entire thing deflated after she did the biopsy. There's nothing there now, just a sore spot. Tumors don't deflate, she tells me.

Have you ever seen grits? Half a syringe worths of stuff that looked like that came out of the side of my face. Excuse me while I vomit.

So the ENT said she is confident it is a benign cyst that is located in or superficial to my parotid gland. What that means is that it won't be removed. She said if it was malignant we would remove it. But the risks your run with a partial or full parotid removal aren't worth it for a benign cyst and trying to excise around that area is difficult because of the facial nerves. But we can do regular drainage if (more like *when*) it fills back up.

So now I wait for the official results but the Dr. was pretty confident and I was pretty horrified at what came out.

Pretty weird to touch the side of my face and feel no lump there for the first time in 7.5 months (though it might have been there longer and I just never realized).

So To Be Continued but glad that the diagnosis for now is staying the same as what it was before.

But seriously...disgusting.
    Last edited by Punky789; 23-11-21 at 19:40. Reason: Forgot something

The stuff that comes out of cysts is particularly disgusting and when they've been there a while the smell is absolutely foul! I've had a fair few in my time. Not the most pleasant things to have to deal with.

Things tend to move slowly in the medical world right now. Understandably so.

I figured I would just post an update in case anyone googling ever stumbles across this thread.

So, I had the repeat FNA and got the results back from the ENT. Cystic material, no atypia (though explained in much more doctor-y words). The ENT said that based off her clinical assessment it's fine to just leave the cyst because the cure could be worse than the issue. But she said if removal is something I am still interested in she will refer me to a head and neck surgeon in a larger city.

That's the next step I've taken. The cyst is still there. It seems to have enclosed itself again and while it is smaller, I imagine it won't stay that way!

So now it's just a waiting game to hear back about the referral. I imagine that will be some time well into the new year and that's ok. I don't think much of the spot these days, unless I accidentally brush it with my fingers and then it's like "oh yeah...that thing". Makes me wonder if it was there longer than I realized since I've come to the conclusion that it's not a spot on my face I touch very often.

Either way, that's the resolution for now!

Hi Punky. I had a lymph node worry about my neck and after a few weeks of panic, I settled into realising it was normal sized. An enlarged node would be very obvious and you wouldn’t have to route around for it. You’re okay

Just popping in for an update since I hate when I stumble upon a thread with no resolution.

The one year "anniversary" of my lump has come and gone!

In my last update I said I was being referred to a head and neck surgeon. That ended up happening faster than I thought. I saw the tip H&N guy in my province in the first two weeks of January. He was very nice. Showed me the scan images of my lump. He definitely agreed that it seems benign. Then he said, "do you want it out?". I replied with, "well yes, so I don't worry about it. But the other doctor said they would leave it and something about facial paralysis and it not being really medically necessary."

He said it's not close to the main facial nerve (good!) and that it *is* medically necessary if it's affecting my mental health. So I agreed to surgery. It will be a full Parotidectomy on that side.

The appointment did yield one interesting development, though. A rather big surprise, actually.

In the pre-op form I had to sign it asked a bevy of questions about your health history. It also asked if there was a chance I was pregnant. Of course I scoffed but then when I left the appointment I started thinking, "hmm, when *was* the last time I had my period."

Several pregnancy tests later and it's a good thing the doctor said it would be a very long wait for a surgery date because I'm almost 9 months pregnant now and set to deliver some time next month!

So, no surgery date as of yet and another rather large, though explained lump that I ended up growing 🤣

Hi punky,
    Just wondering how you made out having your cyst removed? I’m having a similar issue, they think it’s a cyst, having ultrasound in a couple weeks but I’m terrified it’s something more, hoping it’s a cyst but also scared about the treatment if it is

Hiya! So it actually hasn't been removed yet. Life and circumstances have led to me having to turn down three offered operation times so now I'm just waiting for another date. I had a repeat ultrasound done (it's been almost two years now that I've had the cyst). That scan was fine and the doctor is still confident it's just a cyst. Sorry I couldnt offer more advice or comfort! I hope you receive positive news!

Thanks for responding! I hope your surgery goes well whatever mine is it has shrunk a lot so I’m really hope it’s a lymph node from and ear issue I was having! If not hopefully a cyst as it does move around in there…I just keep telling myself cancer doesn’t shrink

Quote Originally Posted by Niki_W View Post
    I just keep telling myself cancer doesn’t shrink
    That is exactly right; good for you for giving yourself that reminder! Best wishes and positive thoughts!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information