Thread: I really could use some advice!

I really could use some advice!

I am so sorry for posting this but I don't know where else to turn to. I had a physical exam a few weeks ago and my doctor felt an occipital lymph node and she requested an ultrasound. I had that this morning and thought it would take days to get the results but I already have them. Here is what it says:

There is a 4 x 4 x 3 mm ovoid shaped, hypoechoic lymph node with fatty echogenic hilum at the area of concern in the left occipital region subcutaneous regions as indicated by the patient.

My doctor says that there was a small node and that they did not say it was suspicious. Then she asked ME if I wanted a biopsy. Don't you think that should be her decision? I am not sure what to do or where to go at this point. I am seriously freaking out.

Re: I really could use some advice!

Would you have a choice if it were considered a suspicious lesion? Could it be that she is aware of your HA so expects that you would want further reassurance?

Don't apologise for asking for help. Bottling these things up helps no one.

I think the fact that the doctor asked you if you want a biopsy suggests they aren't overly concerned. I can't imagine you getting much of a choice if they were. I can't answer this for you, I probably would ask the doctor what they would recommend. Don't be alarmed if the doctor goes on the side of caution and recommends one.

6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Thank you Pav1984, that's really nice of you to say.

I messaged her back and said, I would take your direction as you are the professional and she said "hmm....I guess we should biopsy it."

I don't know about you but this type of response does not exactly elicit confidence in her decision making. I asked for both an ENT referral and also to have a telemedicine appointment with her so I can ask her about her reasoning face to face instead of messaging back and forth.

I talked about all of this with both my mother and aunt who are retired nurses and they both agree this is a "cover her butt" type of deal with the doctor. Hope they're right!

Quote Originally Posted by MandaIsAnxious View Post
    Thank you Pav1984, that's really nice of you to say.

I messaged her back and said, I would take your direction as you are the professional and she said "hmm....I guess we should biopsy it."

I don't know about you but this type of response does not exactly elicit confidence in her decision making. I asked for both an ENT referral and also to have a telemedicine appointment with her so I can ask her about her reasoning face to face instead of messaging back and forth.

I talked about all of this with both my mother and aunt who are retired nurses and they both agree this is a "cover her butt" type of deal with the doctor. Hope they're right!
    I hope they are right as well.

In all fairness to your doctor, put yourself in their shoes. They can be sure in their opinion but imagine how they would feel if they got it wrong? The fact your doctor is going down the 'just to be sure' route has to be a good thing. Biopsy will put your mind at rest as well.

I think the vast majority of biopsies come back benign so please don't worry. If you do worry, just give us a poke on here.

I hope everything goes well for you.

6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Thread Information