Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny lump in armpit: Need some insight.

Tiny lump in armpit: Need some insight.

So before I explain, i have seen a doctor yesterday about this and I am getting my ultrasound in two weeks (luckily there was a cancellation because they were going to have me seen in June).

So I’ve had this tiny seed size lump in my right armpit (closer to where your arm bends towards the shoulder bone). it’s not soft per say, feels like a grain of rice, but I can grab it and move it side to side with my finger tips. It feels rubbery at times. I’m pretty sure I’ve had this for years.

My right side has a history. I’ve had what was called cellulitis in 2012, but i don’t know if I ever took care of it. Then in 2018, my right nipple developed atopic dermatitis which I’ve treated. Since 2018 I’ve had tender breasts with periods which is when I noticed this small seed size lump. But I never thought anything of it for years because it hasn’t grown and I wasn’t aware that this part of your armpit is connected to your breast (this is me being young and naive). In 2020, my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer (not likely to be genetic). But this is when I became aware of things more. I noticed this lump again in September 2020, thought it was just a pimple under the skin. Then I forgot about it because it doesn’t cause pain when I’m not on my cycle so I’m not aware of it honestly. I noticed it again in March/Apr and so I decided it’s time to get it checked out (I honestly hate myself for waiting this long but I really just didn’t think).

I saw a doctor yesterday for my Pap smear and I asked for a breast exam. She told me they don’t recommend women to do self exams anymore (just for women to notice changes and understand their breast), and that they actually don’t do them in the visit anymore unless you notice something then they will check. (This is news to me).

So she checked the area, she said it feels like a possibly cyst sac or possibly my tissue but she said it’s so so so tiny she can’t really tell me. It is definitely under the skin. I mentioned my anxiety about it and that I want to figure out what it is. She said well we can order an ultrasound just to see if it’s anything at all. To me she seemed unconcerned. It’s just more like what is it kinda thing.

A part of me is saying that if it were serious wouldn’t it have grown or I’ve noticed any changes in that area? Then the other part of me is saying what would stick with me this long, being static, and not going away?

She also mentioned my breast weren’t lumpy at all. Which I’ve always felt they were because of the size (I’m a 40 DDD). Maybe I’m feeling fatty tissue.

Of course I’m getting it taken care of, but seeing the referral is slightly triggering seeing the word mass of Axilla on the paper. My parents told me they do this for insurance purposes so that they see there’s a reason. But it still triggers me.

Any insight would be so helpful? Anyone have anything similar?

For age reference I am 30 years old.

Best!

Re: Tiny lump in armpit: Need some insight.

I think you said it all in your post. Your doctor isn't concerned and it's been there 7 years. Do you want to pay for reassurance?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I think you said it all in your post. Your doctor isn't concerned and it's been there 7 years. Do you want to pay for reassurance?

FMP
    Luckily it’s being paid for by insurance, and it’s been there for 3 years. But yes I’m trying to be rational but I’m also really concerned why it’s been there for so long and hasn’t gone away ����*♀️

So I woke up with an anxious stomach. I know it’s like hitting me that I’m getting an ultrasound in two weeks. I’ve never had something like this done before. Words of advice and encouragement would be great. I have my own coping mechanisms throughout the day. But there’s some brief moments where the thought comes back.

Wow, I could have written this! I also have a small lump in my armpit, feels a bit smaller than a pea. It's quite moveable, and if I push on it feels a bit squishy, but it is hard. It's been there possibly about a year, but I also kind of forgot about it. I don't know if it was as prominent back then, but definitely felt something about a year ago. I'm terrified to go to docs so have just been putting it off and off. Let us know how you get on! And well done for getting it checked, I'm too scared :(

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    Wow, I could have written this! I also have a small lump in my armpit, feels a bit smaller than a pea. It's quite moveable, and if I push on it feels a bit squishy, but it is hard. It's been there possibly about a year, but I also kind of forgot about it. I don't know if it was as prominent back then, but definitely felt something about a year ago. I'm terrified to go to docs so have just been putting it off and off. Let us know how you get on! And well done for getting it checked, I'm too scared :(
    hello!

yes mine has been there I think for 3 years since I’m sure I felt it in 2018.

it’s concerning how we are thinking, well if it were serious I’m sure it would’ve grown or changed in some way, but then why is it still in our bodies? This is what ultimately had me check it out.

I would say the size of mine is more oval shape like a grain of rice or tic tac shaped. If I’m pinching it with my finger tips it feels that way. If I’m just using my flat part of fingers to roll around it it feels like a tip of a ballpoint pen. So it is super tiny. It’s been this way for years and has been static, hasn’t changed. Doctor had to have me point it out a couple times.

The texture when I’m pinching it feels firm and rubbery I guess. It’s definitely not soft. If I’m rolling it with my fingers it just feels like a pimple texture. On a scale of bubble wrap (not sure if anyone knows this) to pebble rock hard. It’s def In the middle.

as for it being moveable, if I’m pinching it with my finger tips, it’s only able to move side to side. I do this by putting pressure with my finger tips and it kinda slips under, but doesn’t slip far away. If I’m rolling with my flat part of fingers. It moves around with my skin. It doesn’t feel rooted to anything if that makes sense.

I tried to be as descriptive as possible! How is yours? Anything similar?

I will def keep updating. In the meantime I am trying my best to be calm until my apt. 😌

but then why is it still in our bodies?
    because bodies develop benign scars, lumps, bumps, blemishes and little nothings through our whole lives ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    because bodies develop benign scars, lumps, bumps, blemishes and little nothings through our whole lives ?
    True! I think I’m still being practical and rational getting it checked it out though. But I hope it’s a benign issue in the end 🙏🏽

Yeah, sounds slightly similar but mine is bigger than a seed, more like a tiny pea. Feels totally round and also not rooted. Quite slippery if I push on it, but very easy to find. My partner said 'you've made that worse' after feeling it for me, now I'm convinced it's grown. But he's probably right. I've poked whatever it is now for months and months every day. Just so scared to get it checked. X

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    Yeah, sounds slightly similar but mine is bigger than a seed, more like a tiny pea. Feels totally round and also not rooted. Quite slippery if I push on it, but very easy to find. My partner said 'you've made that worse' after feeling it for me, now I'm convinced it's grown. But he's probably right. I've poked whatever it is now for months and months every day. Just so scared to get it checked. X
    Totally get what you’re saying! I honestly think that touching it everyday makes it harder for me to know whether it’s bigger or tinier. I’ve honestly felt it bigger some days, and today it feels smaller. Maybe we should focus on not touching that area for a few days or so and go from there?

As for getting it checked out. I understand that fear, I am the type of Health anxiety person that won’t see doctors. So I am actually quite proud of myself for doing this. It got to the point where the anticipation was too much. I just ripped the bandaid off and did it. Of course, telling you to check it out doesn’t help, you have to be ready when you’re ready. I totally understand that, and I’m sure a lot of people here will support you!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information