Thread: Very worried about suspicious mole that I had removed from my scalp.

Very worried about suspicious mole that I had removed from my scalp.

Just for some background, I'm a 29 year old male and just had a suspicious mole removed from my scalp two days ago by my dermatologist so that it can be biopsied. I really started paying attention to this mole after getting a haircut about two weeks ago (I noticed there was a brownish ring around the mole while looking in the mirror that was a different color than the mole was), but I believe this mole may have been there for some time. I originally went to a GP to get this looked at, and while they didn't suspect anything malignant, they suggested seeing my dermatologist anyway. I had already called my dermatologist before seeing my GP and got an appointment within two weeks. My dermatologist didn't seem too concerned, but said it was a strange-looking mole that should be biopsied. I go to my dermatologist annually to get screenings and check myself often because my grandpa died from melanoma, but I'm hoping this isn't a melanoma that flew under the radar and had time to spread to other parts of my body because my hair was covering it. Even before this, I had a fear of scalp melanoma because it tends to be harder to detect due to its location, which makes it harder to treat. I feel like I did everything I could after noticing this, and got to see my dermatologist pretty quickly, but I wish I had noticed this sooner.

I'm having a hard time thinking about anything besides the pending biopsy results at this point. If anyone on here has a story about a suspicious mole, I'd love to hear it.
    Last edited by beq45; 16-05-21 at 00:04.

Re: Very worried about suspicious mole that I had removed from my scalp.

Does anyone have any advice?

I once had a mole appear out of nowhere, multiply in size 20-30 times, and eventually start bleeding like a volcano in the space of about 2 weeks.

It was nothing. It eventually just fell off with no trace.

Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I once had a mole appear out of nowhere, multiply in size 20-30 times, and eventually start bleeding like a volcano in the space of about 2 weeks.

It was nothing. It eventually just fell off with no trace.

Relax.
    Thank you, it's good to hear from people who've had experience with strange moles.

I could sit here and write a Novel because this mole stuff has happened to me no less than 12 times. When I was 21 I had a very suspicious mole that was deemed possible melanoma (I’m 46 now). I was referred rather quickly to a dermatologist who said yea this looks pretty bad. She removed it. I had to have stitches. The biopsy took 7 days. It was 7 days of hell on earth. In that time span I envisioned treatment, how much time I had left etc. The mole was atypical. Meaning pre cancer (no cancer). I’ve had quite a few removed that came back atypical. Just the other day I noticed this weird pinkish growth on my elbow. That thing came out of nowhere. I called my doc (same dermatologist) and went in. She took one look at it and said oh pre cancer and froze it off. I’m blonde and blue eyed. This stuff scares me too. I wear 100’SPF, SPF clothing, hats. Don’t tan etc. it’s always a scary what if but try to remain steadfast in the mindset that a lot of growths end up being pre cancer which is not cancer.

Thank you both. I actually got the results back yesterday - the mole was fortunately benign.

Thank you for letting us know. Happy for you 💗

A friend told me that a mole with an abnormal size (means it keeps on becoming bigger) is cancerous. I'm not sure about this since we lost contact for some time. However, I'm hoping that you are well and no illness involved in your part.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Thank you for letting us know. Happy for you 💗
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Solarbind View Post
    A friend told me that a mole with an abnormal size (means it keeps on becoming bigger) is cancerous. I'm not sure about this since we lost contact for some time. However, I'm hoping that you are well and no illness involved in your part.
    Thank you. The biopsy results came back and the mole was benign, which is obviously a big relief.

Thread Information