Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labrynthitis or something worse?

Labrynthitis or something worse?

For about 4 weeks now I’ve been suffering with dizziness when I move my head a certain way-mostly when I look up (opening blinds, reaching up to high cupboards, even leaning back to kiss my husband who’s taller than me). It’s also bad turning from one side to the other in bed. It’s like a sudden jolt throughout my whole body. I then feel really strange after the initial zap. It’s like my body is on a go-slow. I feel a bit detached and just like I’m not moving my body properly. I feel confused aswell.
    Have spoken to a GP over the phone about this twice and I’ve had a course of antibiotics as they thought it was sinus related as I also have a lot of head pressure too-particularly in the forehead and temples. My neck muscles are extremely tight and painful too.
    Last week they diagnosed labrynthitis and gave me Betahistine to help with the dizziness.
    I’m just not feeling convinced, and constantly wondering if it’s more connected to my neck-artery blockage or something? Or some awful brain disease/tumour which is giving me the motor skills symptoms?
    Has anyone had labrynthitis and felt the same? Really need some reassurance as I feel like the GP has missed something and I’m sat here day after day in fear.

Re: Labrynthitis or something worse?

Did your gp mention benign postural vertigo?
    https://www.healthline.com/health/be...tional-vertigo

This looks more likely! Have you had this? Could you tell me more about your experience?

No need to overthink it. It's muscle tension.

I get it regularly. Best thing to do is tilt your head forwards and backwards as much as your muscles allow, this will almost certainly make you feel dizzy, but that's good. You need to 'reset' your heads trigger for dizziness. You can also tilt your head side to side (as if trying to touch your ears and shoulders) at almost maximum stretch. Shaking your head side to side too (as if in disagreement). Any of the movements that trigger the dizziness, do them deliberately. You may need to do this several times a day, 2-3 minutes at a time.

Assuming some kind of absurd fatal disease because of a bit of dizziness won't help the muscle tension much!

Thank you, I have been wondering about it being related to my neck pain. I can almost deal with the dizzy feeling-it’s the total brain fog and feeling out of it afterwards that freaks me out. Will take your advice today 😊

I forgot to mention that I would often feel a 'drop' sensation with that kind of dizziness, very similar to the falling sensation you get when falling asleep sometimes.

I strongly suspect the brain fog and out of it feeling you're experiencing is just part of the anxiety reaction to the actual sensation. Not related to being dizzy, just a reaction to it.

I agree with Joe..Get your neck mobilised again with the gentle exercises he describes. You will induce dizziness but just push on through and your brain will compensate.

I also get dizziness, and also worry about it...... so I do relate to you. I’ve never been diagnosed with BPV, but I try to tell myself that - or just plain old anxiety- are a more likely explanations for my dizziness and zaps and brain fog than a tumour!!!

I have been diagnosed with BPV, and I do suffer occasional attacks of it. Usually they resolve quickly but I have had some that happen randomly throughout several days and kind of come and go to an extent. Those attacks aren’t as bad as the full on ones where I can’t sit up or move at all…but they’re still unsettling.

I keep a prescription of Meclizine on me just in case. It’s basically a motion sickness drug, similar to Dramamine (don’t know if you guys have that one), but works well for me. Can make you sleepy though.

Thank you all. I have an appointment with an Osteo on Wednesday to sort my neck. Been doing the exercises, and actually I feel it much less when leaning my head back now. However, lying down in bed and moving my head whilst lying down is dreadful. Felt quite dazed walking the dogs this morning aswell. It’s the most unsettling feeling. Without my health anxiety I’d probably be able to ride this out but I keep going to ‘maybe I have a brain tumour’....ugh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information