Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labrynthitis or something worse?

Re: Labrynthitis or something worse?

Hello Anna,

I can completely relate to all your symps. I can especially relate to when you stated that it occurs when you are looking up at a cupboard or opening blinds. In fact even to this day I find it may occur when reaching up for something, head back, thus neck is greatly involved in my opinion.

Mine started approximately 3 years ago when I had a bad panic attack triggered by some anger toward a relative. Add to this that is was a week before Christmas thus added stress due to holiday time.

I went to see an ENT who was wonderful. He tested me to assure that I did not have any loose crystals in the ear known as BPPV. I did not although I have a sister and niece that did have BPPV. He felt it was labrynthitis and cervical ( neck) radiculopathy.

He sent me to a physical therapist who had me do certain exercises. For instance, she would have me walk across the room turning my head left and then right. She would then have me walk across the room looking up at the ceiling and then down toward the ground while walking. Another exercise consisted of me looking at a card she held of a black and white checker board with an "X" in the middle of the checker board. She would tell me to move my head from left to right however never taking my eyes off the "X". A variation of this was a card she held which had numbers or words and I would stated theme out loud, reading across the page, while moving my head from left to right.

I must say it helped immensely in addition to the meclizine the ENT gave me which is basically an anti vertigo medication.

I have had neck issues for many years, tight muscles and poor posture. This can exacerbate the symps and I believe actually brings on the symps.

Being an anxiety sufferer for many moons, being light headed has always been one of my most feared symps.

If you have not been to an ear, nose, throat doctor as of yet I highly recommend it. You can also inquire as to vestibular PT- trust me it helps greatly.

Of course may I also add that the symps just add fuel to the fire of our anxiety and then we find ourselves in the symps- fear- symps cycle.

Hang in there Anna, it will abate.

You may PM me if you need more assurance

God Bless,

Soup

Soup

\" I have developed a new philosophy.....I only dread one day at a time.\" Charlie Brown

Re: Labrynthitis or something worse?

Thanks for your message Soup! Yes, I reckon tight neck muscles definitely a factor. About 3 weeks ago I woke up and it was just…..gone! I’ve not had this at all since. I cannot pinpoint a reason, or anything that may have changed. Other than my neck muscles are not at all tight anymore. I honestly thought I’d never not be dizzy again!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information