Thread: Awaiting Biopsy Result

Awaiting Biopsy Result

Hi,
    I was referred for a breast ultrasound by my GP I presented as feeling a lump, he didn’t feel anything and reassured me which I was happy to take but referred me anyway for closure and further reassurance. I went to the breast clinic two weeks later and the Dr also said they felt like normal breasts but referred me for an ultrasound anyway. I went straight in for the ultrasound as it is a breast one stop clinic and I wasn’t treated very well and had a horrible experience. The radiographer said they found a 10mm Fibroadenema which is a benign condition but given I’m over 25 (I’m 40 in November) they would need to biopsy. If I was under 25 they wouldn’t. They said they would take 3 biopsies but after taking the first she stopped and said they wouldn’t take anymore as it had burst but she would send the biopsy off anyway. She said she wasn’t trying to confirm it’s cancer just prove it’s not and she wasn’t a getting woman but would be it is all ok and is 99% sure. I went back into the Dr’s room and I asked if I should be worried and he said not. Despite this I am consumed with anxiety that it is coming back bad. I feel in a deep dark hole with the biggest dark cloud over me. I keep crying and am really working hard to ground myself.

Anybody had any similar experiences? x

Re: Awaiting Biopsy Result

Hi, I hope you're okay and that you get your results soon. I know there are lots of other women here who have been through similar biopsies. It's a stressful time and it's very hard not to fear the worst even though it's probably the least likely outcome. Seeing as it burst I wonder if it was just a cyst. Hopefully you know soon x

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Hi, from my own experience this really is very very low down on the list of things of concern. Fibroadenomas are very common and are known to be benign, so she's just checking due to your age. It's probably just a further check they've introduced. I can understand how you feel, but want to give you a bit of perspective from my own experience (I had a benign but rare lesion which is higher up the scale than fibroadenoma but still nothing in the scheme of things). It's also worth knowing that even worst case scenarios such as breast cancers, which this is highly unlikely to ever be and the only reason she can't say it's not is because she's not God basically, but even in those worst case scenarios there are so many levels, there are even cancers that would never cause a problem in a woman's lifetime, although of course if those are found they have to be removed (but chemo is often not necessary). Anyway these are all the things I've learned. But from what you say and what they've told you I think you will have nothing to worry about. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by HopelessWorrier2011 View Post
    I went straight in for the ultrasound as it is a breast one stop clinic and I wasn’t treated very well and had a horrible experience.
    You should put in a formal complaint about that lovely - stop it from happening to other women. I'm very sorry this happened to you..

If it helps, I've known lots of women who've had breast lumps but none of them were cancer. I haven't had breast biopsies but I have had them elsewhere and the waiting is incredibly difficult. I know it's an impossible ask but do your best not to reign in the fearful thoughts because this will most likely be nothing serious. X

Hi All,
    Thank you for your responses. Your answers were quite right I am so relieved to say that the results were benign. I placed a complaint around my treatment there and someone called me to discuss. They were saddened to hear of my experience and were feeding it back to the team x

Thank you for this response it had offered me reassurance that my worst fear isn’t always the sentence I perceive it to be x

Thread Information