Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone else gone through a cushing’s fear?

Re: Has anyone else gone through a cushing’s fear?

Quote Originally Posted by UserName20 View Post
    I am back in therapy. However, it has almost raised my anxiety. I was explaining to my therapist how I am convinced I have this and how it’s taking over my life. She said “you do have a disease but probably not cushing’s.” I do have a disease?? I’m not sure why she would say something like that. Now I’m worried what disease she is saying I have. She was also going into detail saying people who have diabetes in their family will get it almost for sure no matter what they do. I don’t know how to feel about that?? She also told me to Google my symptoms on Mayo Clinic because that will give me accurate information...?
    I recommend changing your therapist to someone who has experience of treating HA.

I was thinking she may have been trying to talk about anxiety, but I just found it strange she said I have a disease. The comments about having family members with diabetes makes the other members likely to get it no matter what they do or eat kind of drove my anxiety up. I also was mentioning a fear I have of going to the dentist. ( I have some cavities to be filled ) and she told me that I don’t want to have to get dentures so I better go. And that raised my anxiety too.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName20 View Post
    I was thinking she may have been trying to talk about anxiety, but I just found it strange she said I have a disease. The comments about having family members with diabetes makes the other members likely to get it no matter what they do or eat kind of drove my anxiety up. I also was mentioning a fear I have of going to the dentist. ( I have some cavities to be filled ) and she told me that I don’t want to have to get dentures so I better go. And that raised my anxiety too.
    Definitely a different approach from a therapist but one that I'm familiar with as many of my replies are quite similar as I don't pull any punches.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’ve had exactly the same hump for at least ten years. I was told when I loose weight it will shrink but I also think it’s down to posture too. I’ve been tested for Crushing disease too and it was clear. My osteopath says it’s very common . I hope that helps

Thank you so much for your reply! It really makes me feel better and not alone in having this.

I just got back from the doctor. It was not exactly the easiest appointment I’ve had. It was a brand new doctor. My heart rate shot up ( as it always does ) my blood pressure shot up too and they had to double check it and it only slightly lowered. He pretty much gave it to me straight and told me that cushing’s disease is a possibility and was going on to tell me I have the hump on my neck and some other symptoms. After a minute though he just kind of shrugged and said “but I doubt that.” He explained that having extra weight can cause that and all of the symptoms that I’m having.

He got ahold of my fasting blood sugar levels from another doctor I had. He told me he wanted to rerun the test to ensure I’m not diabetic and he’s ordering all basic tests as well. I don’t think he’s testing my cortisol yet though? He seemed to want to work on losing some weight first but he told me if he can’t help me he will send me to an endocrinologist.

I am aware that I am some overweight. I started a diet a little over a week ago and am trying to lose some. I just feel like it’s always hard to hear. I left pretty embarrassed and upset at myself. Now just to schedule those lab works
    Last edited by UserName20; 07-06-21 at 22:47.

Well. I got my blood tests. They checked my cortisol level and told me it was normal? So does that mean I don’t have cushing’s? I’m going back to the doctor Monday. They didn’t want to tell me my results over the phone. They said the dr would prefer to talk over it in person and they would move my appointment up.

That obviously made me panic. I kind of argued until the nurse got on the phone and told me to calm down. She told me my blood sugar levels were okay ( the dr thought for sure I was diabetic and was even talking about starting me on insulin ) he had me all worked up before I even had the test done.

However they told me my cbc test was a little off. They said something about my liver levels being off? The nurse said it can just be from carrying some extra weight but the doctor may order a CT or ultrasound.

I just feel sick with worry.

My doctor told me there was no evidence of cushing’s in my tests. He said that I’m not diabetic either because my fasting blood sugar was almost borderline too low. But I’m worried I am diabetic and it’s just because I hadn’t ate much the entire day before the test that it was that low? I think it would take more time than two weeks of eating healthy to lower my resting blood sugar though?

I think my mind is trying to poke holes in the results and what he told me and find something wrong. I am getting an ultrasound because my liver count was a little high. He told me he’s doing it just in case and he’s sure it’s nothing that’s a big deal.

Hey there, I am sorry that you have been so stressed about this. The key word in fasting blood sugar test is fasting. Before you take this test, you should not eat anything at least 8 to 12 hours prior in order to get the most accurate results. If you eat something, your levels might be more elevated than they should be, and give a false positive reading. So the fact that you didn't eat anything the entire day before shouldn't have screwed you up that badly, since you were technically doing a prolonged fast. In fact, it should make the test a bit more accurate. I doubt that eating healthy would be enough to lower your readings into the low normal range if you had diabetes.

About the high-ish liver count; it is possible that you have non-alcoholic fatty liver. This is actually really common and is not a death sentence (approximately 50% of US adults have it). You can reverse the fatty liver by weight loss (losing the visceral abdominal fat) and by incorporating moderate exercise and a diet change into your lifestyle. By diet, I mean reducing added sugars and processed carbs and increasing whole foods/vegetables/fruits. Fatty Liver in and of itself is asymptomatic, but it can on occasion progress to liver cirrhosis (liver damage). Which is why it is a good idea to reduce the amount of fat stored in your liver by losing weight.

So weight loss is good both to manage possible fatty liver and to lower your risk of diabetes. Not to say that weight loss is a magic cure-all (there are people with fatty liver and diabetes who are normal weight), but it can help. Incorporating exercise and a healthy diet should help even more. I am in no way trying to fat shame you; sorry if it sounds like I am. I have been there, and just recently got back to an "average" bmi range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information