Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New and scared

Re: New and scared

There are so many functional neurological sensations/symptoms which are unexplained when connected to anxiety. You have a neuro assessment coming up so it's pointless to speculate any further and I'm sure that you will have exhausted the internet's medical offerings by now..Why not let a real life expert make a valid assessment now and don't attempt to second guess what he'll say?

I'm not undermining the enormous mental effort it takes to do this but for the sake of your mental health you have to wait for the assessment before diagnosing yourself from what you read online which doesn't apply to your case.

I thought I'd do an update on my situation..
    I saw a consultant neurologist yesterday. I honestly felt like I was going to the gallows. My already rampant anxiety went up a few notches in the 24 hours before the appointment. I couldn't possibly contemplate anything other than a devastating outcome.
    He diagnosed cramp fasciculation syndrome, which he said is not as uncommon as people think. I have the choice of taking medication to calm down my "over excitable nervous system" or learn to live with it and accept it as part of who I am. He thinks it will calm down when I have my health anxiety under control.
    I was in total shock at the news. It was the best possible outcome and I was elated (for about an hour). I knew it was highly likely that the doubts would creep in because I've been here before so now I have to stop ruminating on the questions I didn't ask, the other weird symptoms I didn't mention etc.
    Health anxiety is absolutely devastating. It is persistent, all consuming and totally illogical in the face of facts. All my friends now expect me to go back to my old self straightaway so I now have to keep my demons between me and my therapist only. Let's hope I can learn from past mistakes with professional help.

Quote Originally Posted by karma12 View Post
    I divide the world into everybody else and me, the woman who has permanently cramping feet and doesn't know why. I don't know any more what is my own anxiety or that driven by the side effects of the SSRI!
    Usual culprits for foot cramping is low potassium and magnesium. Try a banana a day and a magnesium supplement (I use powder form) and see if it improves. I had this for years, but I started taking magnesium for anxiety (and my colon woes) and as a happy coincidence (not) I found that it's now a case of, I got 99 problems but the foot cramps aint one'.

I'm very pleased that you've had this reassurance and it will take a while before the cramping dies down and you begin to attach less significance to it mentally. You can't just switch off the panic button overnight but your friends won't understand this.

I'm sure you can work through this with your therapist at your own pace and learn from your experience. At least you know the reason for your cramping now and that's from a neurologist not Dr Google!

Hi, newbie here, happy to join you))

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information