Thread: Extremely painful papsmear? What could be causing this?

Extremely painful papsmear? What could be causing this?

Hey all,

So I had my first ever papsmear today (I'm 23 and a virgin) and it was very very painful. As in burning pain right when starting that did not let up. When I say burning, I mean similar to the feeling you get if you have a UTI or a yeast infection. I'm wondering what may have caused this?

Nothing internally really hurt (not the cervix), just the outside/insertion. Idk what to do. I'm scared that any other pap I have will be like this. I have had this burning pain in the past with tampons, which is why I don't really use them. Is it possible that I'm just really dry down there and that's why it hurts? Or do I have an infection/inflammation?

The person who performed the pap thinks that it is because I still have my hymen, but I'm not so sure.

Re: Extremely painful papsmear? What could be causing this?

Hi. I am having my first pap smear tomorrow I would trust the Nurse on this one. I imagine that is the reason when you put a tampon in also.

Thank you for the response! Okay, I'll try not to worry too much about it.

My first pap ever wasn’t painful at all. Mildly uncomfortable like intense pressure like I needed to pass gas. I actually remember telling my family doctor at the time that I felt like I would pass gas in her face. She told me she didn’t mind it, not to worry. I do remember being very anxious about it. But overall it wasn’t painful. My family doctor is an experienced one and she used the smallest one on me at the time. She knew what she was doing.

however, I’ve switched insurance and doctors this time around and had my recent pap (this would be about my 3rd or 4th one in my life) with someone much younger (not sure if this matters but I felt like she wasn’t as gentle). It hurt so much, I felt the pain you felt, I even bleed quite a bit. I’m not sure what size speculum was used, but she ended up having to go a size down. Because I told her too. I told her I usually don’t have pain with these & I’ve never bled that I’m aware of. If something hurt you, please dont be afraid to let them know and demand it. For reference, I had pain like you and my pap was normal. ����

but I wanted to tell you that being a virgin or not. Pap smears can be painful depending on how nervous you are (those muscles tense up), how gentle the doctor is, what size the speculum is used, etc. I wouldn’t worry. If it comes back as a normal pap, you can ease your mind ☺️

Sounds like vaginismus. You may need physio and dilator to help stretch the vagina

Thread Information