Thread: Diverticulitis, Colonoscopy Next Week, Nervous Wreck!

Diverticulitis, Colonoscopy Next Week, Nervous Wreck!

As what I posted in March, I was in the ED for an uncomplicated diverticulitis of the proximal transverse colon. There was wall thickening seen from CT, but radiologist stated it can be from fat stranding. I have a colonoscopy (my first) on Friday May 28 and I am so nervous. I had one scheduled last year but I backed out. I have to do it this time because I know it will eventually help me get over this fear of the unknown. I am not nervous of the test itself. But I am anxious they might see cancer. What can I do to relieve some of this anxiety? Help?

Re: Diverticulitis, Colonoscopy Next Week, Nervous Wreck!

Well done for doing this. In he meantime maybe try keep yourself busy, watch a Netflix series, listen to some podcasts, if your allowed go see some friends or the movies. It will be all over with before you know it. Sending virtual hugs x

I thought I'd give you guys an update. I had my colonoscopy done 2 days ago. And Im glad to tell you it is all clear. Not even a single polyp. Contrary to the CT scan report, my diverticulosis is mild and not extensive. Although I have some diverticula in the sigmoid colon, descending colon and hepatic flexure, the doctor says they are mild. They found non bleeding internal hemorrhoids and of course a fissure in the anal area that Ive had for a couple of years now. I used CLENPIQ as prep and it is not so bad. The taste is bad but I only had to take it twice. One in the evening and one in the morning of the colonoscopy. The procedure was a breeze. I was in the OR, they gave me propofol and bam the next thing I know I was in the recovery room. I felt like I slept for 100 years but in reality I was only at the OR for 30 mins. Why did I wait this long (years) to get a colonoscopy? Now I can finally breathe. My advice to anyone having the same issues as me, go and get checked! Now if somebody can help me here on how to get rid of this chronic fissure let me know

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousRN View Post
    Now if somebody can help me here on how to get rid of this chronic fissure let me know
    Keep your poo as soft as you can. I take a TSB of olive oil (organic) everyday before my main meal and it helps.

Use a sitz bath after a poo. This keeps the area clean and will heal faster.

Never wipe your @rse; dab your @rse with wet loo roll and loo roll that's as natural as can be. No scented stuff!

Also, try not to clench the muscles in your @rse. This inhibits the healing process. I'm a serial @rse-clencher - that and my jaw - so I do progressive muscle relaxation to untense them.

Thread Information