Thread: A little depressed about something regarding my hobby

A little depressed about something regarding my hobby

It’s hard to explain but let’s just say I had an idea for characters and story for a long time but then found out another artist had already the same ideas already. Now it’s left me a bit hopeless. I know it’s about execution and not concept but it still gets me. I don’t want to change any of what I’ve done. Any advice?

Re: A little depressed about something regarding my hobby

As an avid fanfic reader, I say write it anyway. I've read sooo many stories with similar plots and characters, and enjoyed each and every one. Like you said, the base might be similar, but the execution is different for each, and that's what makes them entertaining.

Yes, there might be a few people who might say you "copied" someone else's idea, but in reality, no idea is ever one hundred percent original. Think beautiful, tall elves. That has been reused over and over again at least since Tolkien (and probably before too).

At least in Ao3, most authors actively encourage people to either use their work for their own inspiration or write works similar to theirs, because what they are writing is what they themselves would like to read.

I agree with AbyssalStars, there are common themes/ideas but it is all about how they are executed. You got this!

Bumping this thread because I found yet ANOTHER artist who had similar ideas to me. Its making me both anxious and depressed. I really don't want to change what I've done for a long time now. I need some advice.

It's still going to be unique, because it's YOURS. I craft rather than writing, but I've taken part in many, many in-person and online workshops where everybody is shooting for the same approximate goal and every single person produces something unique and beautiful.

Aaaand I'm now triggered. A movie was released recently (not saying what it is) that achieved something I wanted to achieve with my stories. Now I've hit rock bottom into depression. It legit feels like I've had everything taken away from me. I don't know what to do. I need help.

Consider changing the format in which it's delivered. The 'hero's journey' is so old that it makes the majority of stories extremely predictable and boring. Example, forget about having a protagonist that must struggle, have sex and conquer the day. Instead have several charters equal in dramatic events that do not require competing and winning. Such stories are rare and when delivered within the same genre as others, makes for a much more stimulating read compared to so much of today's otherwise sleep educing themes. This is how you could take the same ideas but deliver them completely different offering a much needed change. You can still make a roller coaster - but just do it in a different way. Change the structure and remake your tools.

Quote Originally Posted by TaleOn11 View Post
    Aaaand I'm now triggered. A movie was released recently (not saying what it is) that achieved something I wanted to achieve with my stories. Now I've hit rock bottom into depression. It legit feels like I've had everything taken away from me. I don't know what to do. I need help.
    Try not to get too disheartened. As a person who makes a living from creating, I can tell you one thing I've learned along the way. There are no new stories, only new voices that tell them.

Every idea has already been explored, and every twist has been twisted! The main thing you should focus on is bringing your own unique style to the story you're writing.

When it comes to storytelling in general, it actually helps to have a somewhat familiar format, so don't worry too much about making every single thing original. Think of it as a base for a sauce. It starts with the same basic ingredients, but then you flavour it to make it your own.

Most readers naturally crave some predictability within a story. This is why some ideas get used over and over again with slight variations. People love to insert themselves into the protagonist's journey, and they want to be invested in their struggles and triumphs, however that's delivered.

My best piece of advice is this: Write for the joy of telling a story, and your readers will share that joy too.

Good luck with your writing!

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post
    As a person who makes a living from creating, I can tell you one thing I've learned along the way. There are no new stories, only new voices that tell them.
    That's it exactly! In the music industry, its well known that the same 4 chords make up a vast majority of popular music. The lyrics and melody may be different but the basis is the same.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information