Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: My anxiety is being triggered

My anxiety is being triggered

I'm going through a bad patch anxiety wise. I haven't been doing too badly. I've been accepting and 'floating' through my anxiety and using grounding techniques so things have improved a little.

BUT, my husband is triggering my anxiety quite majorly. For the past couple of months he has been experiencing intestinal/back problems. He saw the dr a few times and was referred for a colonoscopy and an ultrasound. Due to wait times he booked a private MRI of his lower back hoping to shed some light on the pain, plus his mother and brother both diedna few years ago from cancer, so he majorly fears this. The pain increased vastly and we ended up at minor injuries. He then had the MRI. Next day he was in so much pain I called 111 and he ended up going to A&E. They gave him pain killers and sent him home. Next day he ended up calling me at work in tears so I rushed home and took him to the doctors - awful trip, he ended up being thrown out of the practice for not being very nice to the gp. The results came through for the MRI - a little degeneration to L4/5 but no other problems. He was still in pain so as he'd been told that it might take 6 months for an ultrasound he booked a private one. It was at this point I fell to pieces quite majorly, after numerous stresses, bereavement, my husbands health crisis tipped me over the edge.

So he had the ultrasound of his abdomen and it showed no problems - he was convinced he had gallstones.

He had changed his diet in the belief that it was gallstones and the pain had improved, once he go the all clear on that he resumed his normal diet.

The pain slowly started coming back. So now he's experiencing a lot of pain again and not sleeping. He had another visit to A&E after the visit to the doctors, but that was because he had been kicked out of his gp practice and hadn't got a new GP practice.

So anyway, yesterday he was in a right state, exhausted from lack of sleep and pain. His anxiety levels are going up and so are mine too. He phoned the GP this morning to try and get an appointment (he will have a phone consultation yesterday), and I just walked in on him trying to book a private colonoscopy.

I'm not sure why this is triggering me so badly when I have been slowly but surely improving. But my anxiety levels are running pretty high and this makes me very fearful that I'm losing the small amount of headway that I've made. It feels like his anxiety is being funneled to me and I don't like it.

I'm trying to tell myself that this is his problem and it will get sorted and distance myself from it. But it isn't working so far.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Re: My anxiety is being triggered

Phone consultation today not yesterday.

He's got an apt with the GP in person this afternoon. Feel a little calmer now.

Let the GP take charge now, Catkins. He's obviously terrified and this will make his perception of pain worse. You've done all you can to help him and it's very hard when you are struggling to keep your head above the water yourself.

Seeing the GP in person will allow for a proper examination and he'll be able to talk about his cancer fears.

Please let us know how he gets on and I hope this takes the pressure off you a bit.

Thank you.

I had a long chat with my brother today and he's had diverticulitis before in the past and had exactly the same symptoms. I'm hoping the GP considers this.

Trying to step back from something when you're anxious is bloody hard!

If the GP suspects diverticulitis then I'm sure he'll do what's necessary and take the pressure off you to sort him out.

He's had his apt and the GP took him seriously! Which was great. They suspect it could be diverticulitis but want the colonoscopy to confirm. In the meantime they have given him a bulking agent to take and he's got to be careful of what he eats. He's also going to give gluten a miss for a while to see if that helps too.

He's already on the list for the colonoscopy but she told him to see where he is on the list and if it's ages she'll write to them and try and hurry it up.

The fact that he came back feeling satisfied with the apt because they took him seriously really helps me. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Has he been given any antibiotics?

No, which was slightly disappointing as my brother said that he was given them. But if we don't see an improvement I'll try and get him to go back and ask for some.

I hope he's had a better night? Maybe the GP saw no need for antibiotics at this stage but as you say he can always get reviewed again by a doctor if things don't improve.

Has he been given any advice re diet?

Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information