Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: My anxiety is being triggered

Re: My anxiety is being triggered

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My son was assaulted at work last week because the store manager refused the assailant something and he took out his anger on my son who is classed as a "vulnerable" adult. The police are now involved. Isn't it awful how some people behave when they can't get their own way? Sign of the times though..No one must be denied anything.
    Oh no, that's awful for him!

I think there's an awful lot of people that are spoilt brats. I don't entirely understand how it's happened. I don't think I'm like that, and can't quite get my head round the selfishness/entitlement of a lot people.

Lenco it definitely isn't restricted to the young. Over the 20 years of doing my job. I have heard/seen all sorts from all different ages. Fortunately there are an awful lot of nice people out there too.

So I went to a half day meditation course today, well at least that's what I thought I was going to. I knew it was at a Buddhist centre and I generally agree with what a lot of the Buddhist beliefs are.

What it was was more of a talk about coping with change with a bit of meditation thrown in. For the first half the Buddhist monk who was giving the talk spoke so gently and soothingly that I kept almost dropping off, which to be honest, produced anxiety in me, which at one point made me panic slightly that I would have to go home right at that moment, but I couldn't because I'd got a lift. The second half was slightly better, but I did have to have a very strong coffee in the break because I was so concerned I'd start nodding off again. The second half was better although I was a little agitated because of the coffee.

Yes some of the things were valuable to hear, some not, I think they made me doubt myself a little. But this is going to sound ridiculous, but this arm of buddhism has a prayer that is sung before each session, so we heard it once at the beginning of the first half and then we were given song sheets for the second half. The prayer was really twee and made me feel I should be wearing a kaftan and have flowers in my hair (no I don't have any prejudice against hippies - been called one many times). But my friend and I did consider doing another one next month, but I'm not sure I want to. I came away feeling a little unsettled and don't know if my aversion to going again is down to the fact that I felt quite anxious at one point or if it really just wasn't for me.

I may have to see how this unfolds in my head.

Oh, the prayer was in English it wasn't a chant or anything, which I actually have been more open to.

Don't overthink it? Leave it a few days and give yourself time to consider it when you are less anxious and tired? You don't have to make a decision now.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Don't overthink it? Leave it a few days and give yourself time to consider it when you are less anxious and tired? You don't have to make a decision now.
    Totally agree. Not everything is going to be right for everyone.

Well, how I felt about the course continued to trouble me. Yes I got anxious when I was there, but I also get anxious sometimes in the supermarket (earlier this afternoon was a particularly trying experience). In all honesty I don't think the course was right for me. I know this sounds like I'm trying to justify how I feel, but, one of the first things on the course was that the monk was telling us about a CD they were selling and then I really didn't like the song.

I know some times it is good to challenge yourself, and I did take home a couple of useful things from it. But, nope it just wasn't for me.

I'm going to try and stop and think about it now.

Yes that's a good idea. You've made your decision based on personal experience. It's fine. You gave it a go and it's not for you. Put this in the "finished" box?!

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Oh no, that's awful for him!

I think there's an awful lot of people that are spoilt brats. I don't entirely understand how it's happened. I don't think I'm like that, and can't quite get my head round the selfishness/entitlement of a lot people.

Lenco it definitely isn't restricted to the young. Over the 20 years of doing my job. I have heard/seen all sorts from all different ages. Fortunately there are an awful lot of nice people out there too.
    Yes you're correct such nastiness isn't mostly restricted to the younger generation, but sadly they seem to get it in the neck the most for all that's wrong with society today. I also remember there being similar panics about such behaviours and attitudes 20+ years ago.

You're also correct that there's a lot of nice, decent people out there (of all ages) but most people seem to gloss over them and find endless horror stories about an increasingly violent and lawless society (real or imagined) and feral youth far more exciting and entertaining.

I think quite a few people also seem to revel in such moral panics every now and then.

Awake at about 4.20am this morning, I think more than likely it's because I fell asleep on the sofa yesterday afternoon. Feeling that I'm having a bit of a blip so going to take a promethazine this morning.

Feeling anxious and sad because I'm feeling like this after such a good holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Awake at about 4.20am this morning, I think more than likely it's because I fell asleep on the sofa yesterday afternoon. Feeling that I'm having a bit of a blip so going to take a promethazine this morning.

Feeling anxious and sad because I'm feeling like this after such a good holiday.
    Probably because you're back to the more mundane once again.

Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread Information