Thread: Breast Ultrasound - Need a Reality Check

Breast Ultrasound - Need a Reality Check

During my monthly breast exam I found a lump. Cue panic! Went to my GP who said it "feels like fibrous tissue" but said that she knows I struggle with my anxiety so would I like a mammogram? I said yes. Called to book the appointment and they said they cannot be performed on breastfeeding women but scheduled me for an ultrasound.

I had the ultrasound today. The tech had to keep asking me where I felt the lump, so I took that as a somewhat good sign that she wasn't seeing anything.

But then she switched to near my armpit and next thing I know there is a blob on the screen and she is taking a measurement of it. There's that panic again. Why is she measuring? What is she measuring? This can't be good!!! She says I will get results in 3-4 days

Meanwhile, I have been having pain in my left side, in the area between breast and armpit. I had assumed it was my costocondritis flaring. I have struggled with it for years. It hurts in myefr shoulder blade, too. But now I'm worried that that isn't the cause of the lIn and that it's related to whatever was being measured!

Now I am going to be anxiously awaiting news from my doctor and fearing the worst.

Re: Breast Ultrasound - Need a Reality Check

If you haven’t heard straight away I’d assume it would be no so urgent. Could be a benign cyst or a shoddy armpit node or a bit of fibrous tissue. Good luck on your results, a 3-4 day wait sounds like it’s standard xx sending virtual hugs x

Hi Punky - like you I am still breastfeeding and since my baby was born have really struggled with the changes to my breasts. Ive had more scans that I can count and I have one breast with a really prominent lump which is just a milk duct. That being said, now that I've been breastfeeding for a while, I'm beginning to feel ev-ery-thing (!) and it stresses me out constantly. How long have you been breastfeeding? It could be that simply you are feeling more due to the fat stores depleting the longer you are feeding so you start to just feel the ducts. Anyhoo - during ALL of my scans, they have always taken pictures of areas and done measurements - i've never asked what it was and they've never told me there is any concerns so *shrugs* Also, since having my babe and periods have come back, I get far worse pain in my breast / armpit which is consistent with hormones fluctuating. Let us know how it goes but my guess is its dense breast tissue.

Hey- so I actually have had costochondritis for the past 7 years due to an injury that will cause it chronically. I have figured out how to manage it to where I’m almost normal now- let me know if you ever want to connect for some tips- I know it’s an odd conditional that most people brush off, but it really can be debilitating.

Thread Information