Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Floating diarrhea

Floating diarrhea

Just got over one fear and now there something else to panic about, and I am really terrified at the moment and can't sleep.

I had floating stools late last year and saw the doctor. She examined me and said everything felt normal. I had blood tests which were normal, a stool test for blood which was clear and a stool test for calprotectin which was borderline. I have posted about this a while ago. I was asked to do another calprotectin test and waited ages for the result. The surgery kept saying it wasn't back. Eventually they said it had got contaminated (not my fault) and they couldn't do the test and I had to do another sample. I was about to do this when I became ill with a fever (I have also posted about this) I don't know if it was a virus or side effect of my 2nd covid jab. I didn't do the test as it seems it would affect the result. I have now recovered from whatever it was, but can't do the test as my son is away for 2 weeks and I need him to take it in as I'm not confident going on public transport yet owing to my age and covid.

I was just feeling much better and calmer but the floating stools came back a few days ago, I haven't had them for 5 months. Floating for 3 days, normal for one day, floating another two days then normal today. What has sent me into a real panic tonight, I suddenly got gripey pains and diarrhea. Not water but mush. I wouldn't have been too worried I haven't had diarrhea for ages, but this time all this mush (sorry gross) was floating on top of the water. When I've been like this in the past it has always been on the bottom of the toilet bowel. I've never ever had floating diarrhea.

I don't feel I can contact the doctor until I have done the stool test.

Has anyone had floating diarrhea? Does anyone think it is possible to have this and it not be anything too serious? I am feeling desperate again and have no one to talk to.

Re: Floating diarrhea

I'm so sorry you are feeling so desperate. I completely understand. I think first off, the fact that these changes come and go is a good thing! Second, I know my tummy does all kinds of horrible things when my anxiety is high. My doctor has said I should only check my stool once a week, not every day. I try to stick to that but I know it can be difficult.

Now, how has your diet been? I know this past week I have been hitting up the UberEats a bit too often and neither my wasitline nor my guts are thanking me for it! Low fibre and gas causing foods can absolutely cause these types of issues. Diet, stress, and anxiety would be the biggest contributors, I think. They always are for me!

Take a deep breath. You are not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll19 View Post

Has anyone had floating diarrhea? Does anyone think it is possible to have this and it not be anything too serious? I am feeling desperate again and have no one to talk to.
    If you could see the kind of shenanigans my colon has got up to over the last ten years - you'd feel quite normal.

The most likely cause is gas in the stool.

• Apples, pears, peaches, prunes
    • Artificial sweeteners
    • Asparagus, artichokes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, onions
    • Beans
    • Fruit juices
    • Honey
    • Sodas and soft drinks
    • Sugar-free sweets and chewing gum

Have you been eating any of these lately?

Thank you for your replies. I managed to speak to a nurse today who gave me quite a bit of reassurance. She said as my blood tests were normal and Fit stool test was negative, it is all good signs. She wasn't concerned about any floating stools and thought a lot of it was anxiety, which I have plenty of. She said to do the calprotectin test when I can but didn't think it was urgent. This calmed me down quite a bit, I had a normal stool in the day yesterday, but then late at night again I got the gripey pains and more diarrhea,twice,this mushy stuff again, but the first time it didn't float and sat on the bottom of the toilet bowl as it has in the past, the second time a lot on the bottom of the bowl with cloudy water and some floating. What is worrying me now is this going to go on and on now, normal stool then later diarrhea, the odd bout is OK but if it becomes every day it could mean something horrible,so back to panicking, I thought the other night was a one off and now its not. Until now I've not had diarrhea for ages so why now?

More weight come off now. I can't take anti-diarrhea medications as I am allergic to them.

Is it bad to have regular diarrhea?
    Last edited by chinadoll19; 27-05-21 at 08:43.

So what does "something horrible" mean when your FIT test was normal as were your bloods?

I would just do the calprotectin test and see what that says? Do you have an IBS diagnosis?

More weight come off now. I can't take anti-diarrhea medications
    Then firm your stools up via your diet. Avoid dairy, foods high in acid, and processed foods.

You haven't answered my question, I notice? My son almost ended up in A&E after eating sugar free sweets once. Griping tummy pains, and what came out of his bottom eventually? Blimey! It was like a massive cowpat! You need to be going through what you ingest with a fine tooth comb in order to help yourself CD!

Do you eat dairy? You say your BMs are ok in the day but not at night? Do you have a milky drink in the evening? Dairy plays havoc with our digestive systems and most older people have problems with it. I don't do dairy anymore for that reason, but if I rebel and have a cheeky 99 ice-cream - damn, my colon doesn't know what's hit it!

Your tests are all negative. There is no urgency for you to re-do the test. You are fretting so you will continue to lose weight. Time to get proactive and help yourself CD!

I have looked at your list, the only thing on there I have eaten in the last few days is apple pie, but I often do have that. I never have artificial sweetners as I have been allergic to them for years ( I do have a lot of allergies, some with medicines, some with food, a big one for me is soya, it makes me quite ill so I check everything for it)

. I do have a milky drink at night, have done for many years. However I do have milk in the day too. The diarrhea is only the last two nights, but I fear it will keep happening now. I have lost more weight again, logic says it is because I am anxious, I didn't eat a lot yesterday, no dinner I couldn't face it, so I just had toast, also the diarrhea would do it, but the other side of my brain says cancer, especially PC. It says to me, floating stools, that has progressed to diarrhea is pointing that way.

Pulsa, I mostly don't think it is colon cancer owing to the tests, but PC is another matter.

I will say what doesn't help is that I have lost three husbands to cancer, the last one 18 months ago, and have seen a lot. It was all horrible.

I live alone with my thoughts, I do appreciate everyone's replies, and it does help if only for a while.

Your terror of cancer is completely understandable..You've been through repeated ordeals and must have experienced no end of trauma which still stays with you and torments you. Have you ever been offered any psychological help?

After the second one died my doctor arranged for me to see a counsellor which did help. About three weeks after the last one died we went into lockdown, which was unfortunate as I was then left alone and locked up. The doctor who arranged the counselling had known me and my anxieties for many years. He left the practice last year and we have new doctors who don't really know me. The one arranging the present tests is very nice but being new I don't think she knows how I am. I do try to keep positive but when these symptoms arise it all goes to pot.

. I do have a milky drink at night, have done for many years. However I do have milk in the day too.
    I'm presuming you have a bit in your tea/coffee though, not a mug of the stuff and at night when your digestion has to work a lot harder? Try leaving the milk out or replace it with non-dairy and see how you go? Try lactose free to start with? This could be the cause (or considerable contributor) of your problem as milk is one of the hardest things for a human to digest - which is why so many people have problems with it. I never used to have issues with milk, but now I do - and how!

I didn't eat a lot yesterday, no dinner I couldn't face it, so I just had toast, also the diarrhea would do it, but the other side of my brain says cancer, especially PC. It says to me, floating stools, that has progressed to diarrhea is pointing that way.
    I'd presume you're not eating a lot full stop? Many of us don't feel hungry when we are scared (fight or flight response) therefore weight loss is a cert.

I will say what doesn't help is that I have lost three husbands to cancer, the last one 18 months ago, and have seen a lot. It was all horrible.
    I'm so sorry to hear this CD, that must have been horrendous for you to go through but I think this is almost certainly where your HA is coming from. Did one of them have PC?

I live alone with my thoughts, I do appreciate everyone's replies, and it does help if only for a while.
    I live with two people CD (and a psychotic lurcher), but believe me, I'm also very much alone with my thoughts as to share them would probably get me sectioned.

Having people around can help, for sure, especially with practical support, but emotional support only really helps when people understand what you're experiencing. What matters more is the decision that we make to do something about our situation, and only we can make that choice.

Nothing you've said makes me buy into you having cancer. I see obvious anxiety and IBS and nothing that I haven't had myself, and I don't have cancer.

You have my heartfelt sympathy and empathy, but this is a situation that you can gain control of - no matter how old you are. It's not going to be easy, but then those things which are worth doing seldom are. X

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information