Thread: Itchy vulva, white patch?

Itchy vulva, white patch?

Hi everyone,

I am a health anxiety sufferer but over the past couple of years I have not had it or I’ve been able to manage it.

A couple of weeks ago I had an itch down below on my vulva near the vagina opening. I didn’t think much of it but the itch kept coming and going on different days. One night during my sleep I scratched myself down there and in the morning when going for a wee it stung so I got a mirror and checked it out. I had torn my skin and had a couple of tiny cuts. These healed within a few days but I started paying attention to the colouring of my skin. It looked more white in that area than the rest of my skin I don’t know if that’s how it always looks or is it scarring from tears when I had my babies but because I looked up about my vulvar itching I came across lichen sclerosus which mentions white patches and itching so obviously I’m now putting two and two together and thinking this is what I have. I haven’t been to the gp yet because I’m on my period so want to wait until it’s finished before going. It’s not painful or extremely itchy only a mild itch which isn’t always there. I would say once every other day. It’s the colouring that has caused me to worry now more than anything. I’m not allowing my anxiety to ruin me and I’m trying to tell myself it’s probably nothing. I’m hoping maybe someone can offer some kind words or if they’ve been through similar let me know what it could be.

Thank you in advance. X

Re: Itchy vulva, white patch?

Hi AnxietyGirl!

I have literally just posted about a area on my vulva that i am worried about although mine is a deep red rather than white.

I have a GP appointment tomorrow, hoping its nothing to serious, just a hand hold to let you know that you are not on your own

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Cariad1 View Post
    Hi AnxietyGirl!

I have literally just posted about a area on my vulva that i am worried about although mine is a deep red rather than white.

I have a GP appointment tomorrow, hoping its nothing to serious, just a hand hold to let you know that you are not on your own

xx

Sorry to hear you are having worries. I wish you luck with your appointment tomorrow let us know how it goes x

My understanding with LS is it can be very easily managed with creams and often can go away with treatment. So even if (big if!) it is that, then nothing to be concerned about and can be easily treated Googling is the worst (I know, I do it way too often!) and will almost always throw up the worst case scenario with any symptoms. Let us know how it goes!

Yes if it is that I’ve read it’s manageable so I’m not worried. I just want a diagnosis so I know what’s going on. I always think it’s the unknown that’s scary not the actual diagnosis. I can’t get to see a doctor until my kids are back at school because it’s half term now and have nobody to watch them and I don’t fancy bringing 3 kids to an appointment especially when my doctor may have to look at my bits! lol so I have another week yet of wondering. I’ve checked the area again and it’s only a very small patch and hasn’t been bothering me. I’ve made sure when looking symptoms up I only read the NHS website and nothing else that’s what my doctor has advised me before. She said the internet has so much rubbish and always shows worst case scenarios so not to read it. I’m going to try and not think about it too much this ups coming week and enjoy half term with the kids.

I requested an online consultation with my gp and will hear from them tomorrow and now I feel sick with worry. I couldn’t wait until next week even though I really wanted to enjoy this week with the kids being off school but it’s weighing too heavy on my mind all the time. My husband is at home tomorrow so if I need to pop into the surgery I won’t have loads of kids with me. I haven’t told my husband about what’s going on with me either and I don’t want to tell him but if I’m called into the surgery tomorrow I’m going to have to tell him. I hate putting my worries and problems onto another person and really didn’t want him to have to know about it unless there was something he had to know about :( pray for me guys that all will be ok with and it’s nothing serious. I will be back to update what happens tomorrow. On a positive note I had my second COVID vaccination today

I’m off to the doctors in a minute and I’m terrified. :(

Hi everyone,

I thought I would give an update on what happened at the doctors.
    My doctor checked the area and told me she thought it was what I thought lichen sclerosus. She said it’s very small and it’s nothing to worry about. She gave me steroid cream to use if it gets itchy but it rarely does. She said to take a photo of it to keep for record in case it gets bigger or changes in any way. If it doesn’t then I just leave it. She said it may go away it may not. It’s just one of those things.

Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyGirl30 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I thought I would give an update on what happened at the doctors.
    My doctor checked the area and told me she thought it was what I thought lichen sclerosus. She said it’s very small and it’s nothing to worry about. She gave me steroid cream to use if it gets itchy but it rarely does. She said to take a photo of it to keep for record in case it gets bigger or changes in any way. If it doesn’t then I just leave it. She said it may go away it may not. It’s just one of those things.
    Hi AG, I don't have LS but I do have vaginal/vulva atrophy which has similar symptoms with cuts/itching etc.

Go easy on the steroid cream as it will thin the skin. Use sparingly and only when necessary. I have chemical sensitivity so the steroid affects me and I use Sudocreme usually and the steroid if that doesn't work.

Wash your knickers separately (on a hot wash) but without detergent or fabric softener.

Don't rub yourself with towels etc; dab or allow to air dry (lol)

Use chemical free loo roll or use a sitz bath and bathe in water after a wee.

Drink enough water to dilute your wee (less stingy)

Try and eat as good a diet as you can; quit sugar or use in moderation. GF and dairy free will help you.

There are some good Facebook LS groups too. X

Thread Information