Thread: Throat feeling tight when lowering the head or lying down

Throat feeling tight when lowering the head or lying down

Hi all, I've been experiencing some very obvious feeling of tightness in throat for about a week. It is most noticeable when lying down on a pillow (either on my back or on the side), or just when I tuck my chin. However when i tried lying down without a pillow it felt better. I wouldn't saying it obstructs breathing or swallowing though, but it's very uncomfortable and keeps me awake for several hours worrying about it. It has gotten to a point where I would feel uncomfortable if anything is touching the from of my throat (blanket for example). I do have stuffy nose and I think post-nasal drip recently which started a little before I noticed the tightness in throat. I also have the occasional GERD but this doesn't feel like it. I would go to the doctor but we're experiencing a spike in Covid cases now so not the best time to go to the hospital. Just now I tucked my chin again and immediately feel like my there is something obstructing the front of my throat. I'm really scared it might be tumour or something sinister. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
    Thank you!

Re: Throat feeling tight when lowering the head or lying down

Yes, I have - I think it was caused by clenching my jaw when really anxious.

My dentist gave me an exercise to do: roll your tongue backwards and touch the tip to your palate, and open your mouth as wide as you can without moving the tongue. As often as you can in the day.

I found pausing and checking whether my throat was feeling tight and doing an 'inside yawn' really brought home to me how tensely I was holding it. It's one of those things which wears off as you talk yourself through the worry.

Thank you I will definitely try that. But sometimes the tightness /lump in throat feeling is near the collarbone and I feel like i just can't get rid of it

I’ve had the same thing on and off for a long time, distraction is often the cure. However sometimes it still gets to me. A month or so back I had it and was up panicking late at night, couldn’t sleep. I guess when you’re tired it all gets the better of you. And yep, I don’t like to have things touching my neck. But really, you need to distract yourself. I keep affirming, I can breathe nothing wrong with me and maybe watch a funny video or think of something vivid and eventually it goes. A lot of these HA issues can be cured with relaxation and distraction. Give it a chance and you’ll be very surprised.

Thanks, it doesn't affect my sleep much anymore but i still feel tightness in throat, especially when i lower my chin. Just trying not to think about it too much now :(

Quote Originally Posted by cchen View Post
    Thanks, it doesn't affect my sleep much anymore but i still feel tightness in throat, especially when i lower my chin. Just trying not to think about it too much now :(
    Our head, when in the position with chin down as you mention, is not a natural nor common frequent position (unless of course you're constantly looking at your phone. There's a medical term for it called 'text neck'). Of course, when you perform such uncommon self-testing things, you'll feel something not usually felt during everyday normal activities. Perhaps, not lowering your chin on purpose and checking to see if something feels different is in order?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information