Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whataboutery and blame culture

Re: Whataboutery and blame culture

I've got a 20 year old car and an avocado bath and basin which are all still standing and working!

I've had to buy a new fridge/freezer as the last one packed up after 3 years (Hotpoint). I was advised not to get an automatic defrost one as the motor burns out really quickly so I opted for a Beko manual defrost f/f which I'm pleased with (fingers crossed!)

Things aren't made to last now or to repair. It's a disposable society now despite all the "green" hype.

Pulisa, my mum had an avocado bathroom suite as well.

I'm thinking of getting a new fridge/freezer but I don't want another duff one that freezes the food in the fridge even though I've got it on the lowest number. It's supposed to be self defrosting too. It's a Hotpoint. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Pulisa, my mum had an avocado bathroom suite as well.

I'm thinking of getting a new fridge/freezer but I don't want another duff one that freezes the food in the fridge even though I've got it on the lowest number. It's supposed to be self defrosting too. It's a Hotpoint. :(
    I would recommend getting a manual defrost one. I just take the worst of the ice off as I go along. Apparently these ones use much less electricity as well. I've got it on a middle setting and have had no problems in the first year...Famous last words, I expect!

Our TV and recorder for playing dvds bought in 2009 from the village shop Scragg and Lunt. Still working. Had a Becco frostless fridge freezer last year. No trouble as yet!!! We have it insured, we pay once a month. My husband says he is stoppig the insurance, he worked it out, we could have another new one instead. day light robberyx

Thanks Pulisa. I'm already looking online at them. x

I never bother with insurance for appliances Magic. As you say the amount you pay would almost buy you a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Our TV and recorder for playing dvds bought in 2009 from the village shop Scragg and Lunt. Still working. Had a Becco frostless fridge freezer last year. No trouble as yet!!! We have it insured, we pay once a month. My husband says he is stoppig the insurance, he worked it out, we could have another new one instead. day light robberyx
    Sounds like you were in luck with the TV set and disc player you bought back in 2009, as cheap and nasty plasticrap stuff was already well established by then.

Just out of interest, are they from a reputable 'named' brand (e.g, Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've got a 20 year old car and an avocado bath and basin which are all still standing and working!

I've had to buy a new fridge/freezer as the last one packed up after 3 years (Hotpoint). I was advised not to get an automatic defrost one as the motor burns out really quickly so I opted for a Beko manual defrost f/f which I'm pleased with (fingers crossed!)

Things aren't made to last now or to repair. It's a disposable society now despite all the "green" hype.
    Wow, avocado and coloured bathroom suites in general were uncool not so long ago, but now suddenly seem to be much revered again.

Bit like multicoloured Christmas lights, which also seemed to go out of fashion during the 90s and 2000s, but I have started seeing more of such sets round our estate (and elsewhere) again since the late 2010s (from about 2016-17 onwards).

The problem with these schemes is that you have to wait ages for someone to come out and with a faulty fridge freezer that's ridiculous! Quite apart from the needless expense of course.

I'm impressed by the Beco range of white goods although I'm sure Lenco will know more about their faults? They seem reasonably priced and decent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Wow, avocado and coloured bathroom suites in general were uncool not so long ago, but now suddenly seem to be much revered again.

Bit like multicoloured Christmas lights, which also seemed to go out of fashion during the 90s and 2000s, but I have started seeing more of such sets round our estate (and elsewhere) again since the late 2010s (from about 2016-17 onwards).
    I live in a bit of a time warp in my house! Can't see the point of having my avocado suite ripped out for a fancy bath which you can't stretch out in and a power shower!

My mum used to do that with cookers and washes, Magic. General Electric insurance. We did the same and realised in a couple of years you've paid for a new one. I guess if you buy expensive ones it might be different unless that just pushes the monthly payments up?

Once we did have a washer that failed just out of warranty and we had scrapped the insurance. I just bought mum one for Xmas that year and a couple of months early. Got an extended 5 year warranty as Samsung had an incentive on. Upgraded her to a bigger machine and the add wash door, with getting a Black Friday deal, and yes that door thing has come in handy for the odd sock that was hiding.

Another one here with an avocado bath, sink and toilet. Dad years ago added wood panels and seat to improve it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information