Thread: So, this started happening.

So, this started happening.

Hey there, lovely folks.

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in (please be right), but I'll be happy to move this discussion as needed. I've been having a really rough time over this past week, though, and I wasn't sure where else to turn. I'd love to see a licensed medical professional, but I'm without health insurance at the moment, and I'm unfortunately too poor to pay for it. I'm well aware to not use this website as a replacement for professional medical help, but I don't want to spend a lot of money going to a clinic or emergency room if whatever I have is treatable at home first.

So, I'll go ahead and throw this out there before deciding if I do need to see someone.

I'm twenty-three years old, biologically female, a little overweight, and living in the American south where there have been rumors of a crimson tide in my area (though nothing has been proven as far as I know). I'm allergic to pollen, dust, and shellfish. I've been diagnosed with OCD, GAD, ADHD, CPTSD, and depression by both a psychiatrist and psychologist in the past. I may or may not suffer from GERD or IBS, but it's never been discussed with a doctor and I refuse to self-diagnose (though I figured it might be worth mentioning that I do have some symptoms from both very often). I figure that these are worth noting before I delve into the problem itself which is as followed: I've developed the sensation that there is a lump around the center of my throat as of late. I only notice it at night or when I'm laying down and it doesn't necessarily hurt, but it does stir the need to cough or vomit. It definitely feels like there is some mucus in there too. It feels tight at times and I find myself having frequent panic attacks which keeps me up at night. I've begun trying to sleep with my head upright, which helps a little, but I actually didn't fall asleep last night until 10 AM which is what led me to making this topic. I'm slowly getting desperate to get rid of this.

I've read that calcium pills might help if it's GERD or allergy pills if it's allergies, but I'm not sure if it's worth riding it out to see if it'll go away first. I really don't have a lot of money to spend and I don't want unnecessary expenses if I can help it. I will note that this started only about a week ago and it happened after a particularly nasty cold that I had combined with the after effects of my second coronavirus vaccine (Moderna if that helps at all). I'm also wondering if it could be the after effects of post nasal drip or a sinus infection that is going away, but I've had plenty of both before and it's never gotten this bad before?

I know that I'm asking a lot, but I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any advice? Should I ride this out? Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Thank you so much in advance.

Re: So, this started happening.

Hi,
    I think you might benefit from reading the posts on Globus Hystericus/Lump in the Throat. LOTS of us are familiar with this feeling. NB That doesn't mean it is the same thing, but it sounds very possible.

I'm not a medic, I know there could be loads of reasons for what you are experiencing, but I also know it definitely CAN be linked to anxiety (and to reflux). I've had this a few times, once for quite a few months, and it is very unsettling I know.

Unfortunately you can't know FOR SURE what it is, but why not try reading up on it and trying out some things people suggest? For me the trick was breathing exercises, and using a little script to reassure myself it was 'only my throat feeling my anxiety, and it will pass.'

And it very likely will. Unfortunately it's one of those symptoms which feeds off the worry.

Do a quick body scan to check how much tension you have in your shoulders/neck/jaw. I'll bet they are all clenched tight. Roll those shoulders, drop your jaw down and back, and feel the difference. And keep talking to us. x

Thank you so much for your response. Words cannot describe how grateful I am that this community is still active and willing to help. I think it is most likely Globus Hystericus though allergies or post nasal drip may be contributing to it. I decided to take some Dayquil to see if it'll help with the mucus-y feeling at all, but you're right about tension. I think I might have to meditate for a bit tonight and see if that helps. Although I'm a long time lurker, I'm still a bit of a noob with the community. Is there specific posts on here talking about Globus Hystericus and how to approach it?

Thanks so much in advance.

There are certainly posts about it, and you can google it (nothing horrible is likely to come up!)

You could pop over to the forum and start a thread asking if anybody has any helpful hints..?

Thread Information