Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early morning headaches... Really worried

Early morning headaches... Really worried

Has anyone experienced frequent headaches in the middle of the night/early morning and it turned out to be something NOT serious?

I'm really worried, as I've had one every single morning this week in the back of my head/base of my skull. I wake up at around 4am, and it persists until I'm up and out of bed, and then feels better. Some days it continues and I need to take ibuprofen.

Of course I've read this is characteristic of a brain tumor, so I'm freaking out. I do have a history of bulging discs in my neck and used to experience a lot of neck pain, but that pain would start after I had been working at a desk all day in front of a computer, never in the morning.

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Early morning headaches... Really worried

I can't tell you how many times I've awoken in the wee hours to take a pee and then go downstairs to get some ibuprofen for a headache. It is what it is.... and it's certainly not a brain tumor

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Worth checking with your doctor but also it’s not that uncommon and neck problems are a key cause of overnight headaches. As is various sleep problems like sleep apnea. And teeth grinding. The list is long. My husband gets them a lot and doesn’t think much of it.

Had this on a daily basis for months....wake up at 4am, have a headache, freak out, headache gets worse and same happens the next day. I no longer have the issue and I haven’t died of a brain tumour.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I've been so anxious about it that now I feel nauseous (which is another sinister sign) ☹️ Reading your responses definitely helps though.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Worth checking with your doctor
    No... not really.....

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

A bit late to the party, but I've had this issue in the past too. I've found that, for me, it's usually a mixture of sleeping patterns, bad posture throughout the day, and slight dehydration. A heating pad over the shoulders for a bit and shifting my sleeping positions has really helped me though it might be completely different for you. I definitely don't think that it's a brain tumor though. You'll be A-OK!

Add me to the list of morning headaches. I've been having them every morning for weeks now.
    Not sure what it is, weather? Stress? The melatonin I take? The fan in my room?

No idea but it will eventually stop

Weather, stress, too much or too little caffeine, going too long without eating all have been past triggers of morning headaches for me. My area has really bad weather for a large portion of the year....horrible, snowy winters and swampy, muggy days in summer and I think weather might be a bigger issue for my migraines than I realize.

I had the exact same problem! I visited my dentist who informed me that it looked like I'd been grinding my teeth when I sleep (which anxious people tend to do) which can cause headaches early in the morning. He prescribed me a mouth guard and what do you know? No more headaches!

If you had a brain tumour, you'd more than likely have a hell of a lot more symptoms. They're certainly not subtle things to have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information