Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy theorist husband and anxiety

Re: Conspiracy theorist husband and anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    BS indeed. And yes, the anti-vaxxers can usually be found in 'autism parenting' forums and groups - alongside claims that 'bleach cures autism', as does slapping and shouting it out of a child (ABA). Anything to 'rid' their children of autism. They put so much effort into forcing their child to 'conform' to what's considered to be 'normal' that they can't see their children as the remarkable individuals they are. The world s confusing enough for a child who is autistic without having parents who consider them 'less' or something to be 'cured'. I get very angry when I see the lengths some parents go to with their kids - such as videoing them having a meltdown on the toilet. An 'autism dad' wanted the world to see how tough 'his' life is as the parent of an autistic child, and what he has to put up with on a daily basis and breaching his child's basic right to privacy was his way of doing it. What the hell?! I saw a severely distressed child and a father holding an effing camera recording it all. That's abuse, no? This is the kind of self-serving shit people do, and it makes me SO angry!

Anyway, deep breaths Nora, think fluffy kittens...
    A dad videoing his Autie kid having a meltdown whilst sitting on the toilet?

My good god. Totally unbelievable and indeed humiliating for that poor kid, especially if he/she sees that poxy video some years later when he/she grows up and feels totally embarrassed.

Also toilets, both the fixtures themselves and the rooms/ environments they're in can be quite scary and intimidating to many kids, ASD or not. Even peripheral devices installed in the same room such as loud hand dryers and even light fittings (or much rather the lack of working ones) can be an even bigger nightmare for them than actually having a wee or a poo. Certainly was for me on occasions as a little kid.

I thought videoing/photographing kids toileting, bathing, masturbating, being in the nude, etc was a serious offence anyway, especially if intended to end up on the likes of YouTube, Facebook, etc for viewing by all and sundry, especially being fair game to serial paedos, sadists, etc.

That barsteward of a dad should hang his head in shame!

I also find it unbelievable that incidents of full-on abuse of people with ASD are still rarely reported or discussed right now in these more enlightened times of the 2020s. It's as if many are still of the opinion that we should be seen and not heard.

We've already got BLM (Black Lives Matter), but how about ALM (Autistic Lives Matter) as well?
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 01-06-21 at 11:23.

Me and Hubs were arguing about something one day and Alexa chimed in!
    OMG! That's too funny! The wife and I once had Siri chime in at a rather, shall we say, 'intimate' moment.... Imagine all of a sudden hearing (with the Australian accent setting) "Sorry, I missed that. Could you say it again please?"

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 01-06-21 at 13:10.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

My good god. Totally unbelievable and indeed humiliating for that poor kid, especially if he/she sees that poxy video some years later when he/she grows up and feels totally embarrassed.

Also toilets, both the fixtures themselves and the rooms/ environments they're in can be quite scary and intimidating to many kids, ASD or not. Even peripheral devices installed in the same room such as loud hand dryers and even light fittings (or much rather the lack of working ones) can be an even bigger nightmare for them than actually having a wee or a poo. Certainly was for me on occasions as a little kid.

I thought videoing/photographing kids toileting, bathing, masturbating, being in the nude, etc was a serious offence anyway, especially if intended to end up on the likes of YouTube, Facebook, etc for viewing by all and sundry, especially being fair game to serial paedos, sadists, etc.

I also find it unbelievable that incidents of full-on abuse of people with ASD are still rarely reported or discussed right now in these more enlightened times of the 2020s. It's as if many are still of the opinion that we should be seen and not heard.

We've already got BLM (Black Lives Matter), but how about ALM (Autistic Lives Matter) as well?
    Also that idiot dad filming his Autie kid sitting on the toilet in distress was probably after his fifteen minutes of fame (on behalf of his kid).

If said video is on YouTube, Facebook, etc, it's inevitable that it will receive a torrent of F and C-bombs, and a load of other abusive remarks in the comments section below, directed both at that idiot dad and at the kid itself, especially by the serial Autie-haters.

I'm glad domestic video cameras were still only the preserve of the super-rich when I was a kid, let alone YouTube and social media still being some 25 light years away!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    OMG! That's too funny! The wife and I once had Siri chime in at a rather, shall we say, 'intimate' moment.... Imagine all of a sudden hearing (with the Australian accent setting) "Sorry, I missed that. Could you say it again please?"

Positive thoughts
    I’m not even sure Siri was invented the last time I had an ’intimate’ moment with the other half...

It's not an offence for a parent to add a pic or vid of their kid, Lenco. Otherwise it would be to take a photograph. Anything sexual is another story though. Whether it crosses over into abuse might depend on his intent?

What a stupid dad though. Sadly that kid will get loads of abuse by idiots that his dad has opened him up to.

ALM would be more specific to the cause, the other goes beyond that. Sadly it wouldn't have enough historic abuses to get enough people behind, stupid as that may sound. Look how little news mental health overall gets from the media? They know it won't cause a big enough reaction so less sales..

BS indeed. And yes, the anti-vaxxers can usually be found in 'autism parenting' forums and groups - alongside claims that 'bleach cures autism',
    Well... the US had a president that pushed an unproven medication and suggested ingesting bleach and bathing your insides with UV light could be a cure for COVID

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    I’m not even sure Siri was invented the last time I had an ’intimate’ moment with the other half...
    Siri came out in 2011.... Dang! That's a really long dry spell my man!

FMP

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It's not an offence for a parent to add a pic or vid of their kid, Lenco. Otherwise it would be to take a photograph. Anything sexual is another story though. Whether it crosses over into abuse might depend on his intent?

What a stupid dad though. Sadly that kid will get loads of abuse by idiots that his dad has opened him up to.

ALM would be more specific to the cause, the other goes beyond that. Sadly it wouldn't have enough historic abuses to get enough people behind, stupid as that may sound. Look how little news mental health overall gets from the media? They know it won't cause a big enough reaction so less sales..
    Whilst I don't in any way believe that racism is any less important or serious an issue, I'm long of the opinion that unjust treatments of us Auties and people with MH issues in general are greatly overlooked as if we simply don't matter to many people. Twas ever thus, and still old habits die hard, but thankfully society in the grand scheme of things seems to be becoming more enlightened now than ever before with regards to such issues.

Again, regarding that dad who videoed his Autie kid scared of using the crapper and screaming in terror whilst doing so, where was his dignity?

If said footage was intended for viewing by a professional qualified clinical psychologist, that might have been more forgiveable, provided the footage was deleted ASAP afterwards.

But if intended for circulation on YouTube, social media, etc, it's totally out of order and certainly asking for trouble as both the dad and the poor kid will be fair game for abusive and trolly comments online!

Anyway, my lengthy rant over and time for me to stick another record on the player!

Back on topic, it's great that 0 deaths have been reported across all UK nations today, even though yesterday was Bank Holiday Monday.

Back on topic, it's great that 0 deaths have been reported across all UK nations today, even though yesterday was Bank Holiday Monday.
    This thread is about a husband that believes in conspiracy theories. I know you're passionate about Autism but the thread took a left turn several posts back. The issue, as we see in the OP and with some others recently concerning COVID, vaccines, politics and such, is subscribing to things that seriously make no sense, are not based on fact, logic or common sense.

As was stated by Anxious Dan, some of it could be motivated by fear but there are many factors at work. These types of things have existed for centuries. Things like cults (Remember Jim Jones?), Scientology and the like have influenced and attracted people for years. We're just exposed on a global level at this point due to instant access via the internet and an undying source of mis-information. Ultimately, it's up to us as individuals to discern what is valid and what isn't and that can be a challenge.

Personally, I never really understood the attraction of these far-fetched conspiracy theories, cults etc. Sadly though, there are millions out there that believe this stuff with every fiber of their being and there's nothing I, you or anyone else can really do about it. Fortunately, they are in a tiny minority (for now).

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 01-06-21 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    This thread is about a husband that believes in conspiracy theories. I know you're passionate about Autism but the thread took a left turn several posts back. The issue, as we see in the OP and with some others recently concerning COVID, vaccines, politics and such, is subscribing to things that seriously make no sense, are not based on fact, logic or common sense.

As was stated by Anxious Dan, some of it could be motivated by fear but there are many factors at work. These types of things have existed for centuries. Things like cults (Remember Jim Jones?), Scientology and the like have influenced and attracted people for years. We're just exposed on a global level at this point due to instant access via the internet and an undying source of mis-information. Ultimately, it's up to us as individuals to discern what is valid and what isn't and that can be a challenge.

Personally, I never really understood the attraction of these far-fetched conspiracy theories, cults etc. Sadly though, there are millions out there that believe this stuff with every fiber of their being and there's nothing I, you or anyone else can really do about it. Fortunately, they are in a tiny minority (for now).

FMP
    Yes you're probably correct in the sense that the conspiracy theorists are a tiny minority.

It's up to not only the authorities but global society as a whole to scrupulously keep them in check and not to be blasé about them and shrug them off with 'It's only freedom of expression'!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information