Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ALS fear is draining my energy

Re: ALS fear is draining my energy

In the time I've been participating on the forum, not one ALS/MND/MS fear has come to fruition. Not. One. Many here have also posted their fears on the ALS forums only to be told to seek professional help. In fact, the main ALS forum refers HAers to this site!

A reply to a member here....

"You need to get help, and evidently not from us. No More Panic is one place to start if you're not ready to see someone on your own. Please do not start another thread here-- it wouldn't be healthy for you."

I hope you as well as the dozens of others here read this and seek help for the real issue. Please do not bother the people on the ALS website (or other serious illness sites) with your irrationality.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    In the time I've been participating on the forum, not one ALS/MND/MS fear has come to fruition. Not. One. Many here have also posted their fears on the ALS forums only to be told to seek professional help. In fact, the main ALS forum refers HAers to this site!

"You need to get help, and evidently not from us. No More Panic is one place to start if you're not ready to see someone on your own. Please do not start another thread here-- it wouldn't be healthy for you."

I hope you as well as the dozens of others here read this and seek help for the real issue. Please do not bother the people on the ALS website (or other serious illness sites) with your irrationality.

FMP
    To be fair, FMP, I’m not sure either of us deserve that particular telling off. I’ve never ever joined or posted on an ALS forum. I only post here. Which I recognise is where I belong! As far as I know the same is true for the OP.
    Mind you, you are one of my very favourite people on here. So I will forgive you anything! ;-) xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    To be fair, FMP, I’m not sure either of us deserve that particular telling off. I’ve never ever joined or posted on an ALS forum. I only post here. Which I recognise is where I belong! As far as I know the same is true for the OP.
    Mind you, you are one of my very favourite people on here. So I will forgive you anything! ;-) xxx
    I appreciate that JoJo and it's not directed at you specifically but at all those that have this fear. I originally came here because there were several HAers on the H&N cancer forum I was part of during my illness. I found several members were posting on that forum. I knew of hypochondria but boy, what I read really opened my eyes. When I saw the ALS posts, out of curiosity, I checked the ALS forum and yep, several members were posting there. Sometimes its easy to see as the poster will use the same screen name and sometimes, the post itself describing the symptoms is the giveaway.

The sticky at the top of the page is taken from that site. While there is a similar post as the OP's on that forum, I'm not implying you or the OP are posting there. It's a general statement directed to all those that have this fear.

I hope you're climbing out the rabbit hole with this bout of it....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I finished reading it yesterday, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

FMP
    It's comforting to know that... You know, even though the statistics tell the same, there's always a shadow of doubt in my mind... Thanks for replying 🌼😎
    Last edited by Kramze; 10-06-21 at 16:49.

Ok! I’ve checked you out. You’ve had ALS fears as far back as 2018?? You are almost as bad as me!!
    I've had them on and off for 15 years. It's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowawayLurker View Post
    I've had them on and off for 15 years. It's awful.
    Man that sucks... Have you ever had shoulder pain that you thought was ALS? Because that's me right now.

Kramze, I have been having a pain in my shoulder for about a month now. I started thinking it was a contributing factor to my hand feeling weird. I am trying range of motion exercises and keeping active the best I can. I have been trying not to go on the ALS forums, but with the consistent calf twitching and weird hand feeling its been hard. I am going to start with today and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise1220 View Post
    Kramze, I have been having a pain in my shoulder for about a month now. I started thinking it was a contributing factor to my hand feeling weird. I am trying range of motion exercises and keeping active the best I can. I have been trying not to go on the ALS forums, but with the consistent calf twitching and weird hand feeling its been hard. I am going to start with today and move forward.
    I feel you. Instead of pushing the doctor for an appointment with a neurologist, I chose to visit a physiotherapist instead. The perceived weakness, stiffness and aching might be there constantly, but staying rational and reading threads from this subforum has kept me from panicking.

Some might argue that staying on these types of forums keeps the flames going, but I find the opposite to be true. The more I read from different people in here, the more I feel at ease... Being able to observe how common HA is, and even the specialized version focusing on ALS, reinforces my rational thoughts and suppresses the symptoms I am feeling as a result.

I'll let everyone know if there's a biological explanation to my symptoms after having visited the physiotherapist, maybe someone reading will find comfort in having similar symptoms with the possibility of a less aggressive diagnosis.
    Last edited by Kramze; 09-06-21 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramze View Post
    I feel you. Instead of pushing the doctor for an appointment with a neurologist, I chose to visit a physiotherapist instead. The perceived weakness, stiffness and aching might be there constantly, but staying rational and reading threads from this subforum has kept me from panicking.

Some might argue that staying on these types of forums keeps the flames going, but I find the opposite to be true. The more I read from different people in here, the more I feel at ease... Being able to observe how common HA is, and even the specialized version focusing on ALS, reinforces my rational thoughts and suppresses the symptoms I am feeling as a result.

I'll let everyone know if there's a biological explanation to my symptoms after having visited the physiotherapist, maybe someone reading will find comfort in having similar symptoms with the possibility of a less aggressive diagnosis.
    I couldn’t agree with this more. I get enormous comfort from seeing the similar symptoms amongst people suffering from als anxiety. Twitches, cramps, perceived weakness..... it’s so common amongst those who fear als it seems

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information