Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP was up to 170/100 at the vaccination center today. I'm dead

Re: BP was up to 170/100 at the vaccination center today. I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by skyisblue View Post
    Have you been able to get ride of your WCS?
    No, but I don't let it bother me. It's like my panic attacks that I get rarely now - I don't add fear to them. I know I don't have high BP, and this is an anxiety issue, so I just do my deep breathing exercises..

Thank you also for the reassurance. That experience really sucked. Everybody was looking at me because my BP was making a scene!
    People around you will have been anxious too. At least you were giving them a rest from their own anxiety eh?

Obviously, you'll need to have hypertension diagnosed but just because some members of your family have it, doesn't necessarily mean that you do, or will. Often, it's just a case of dietary changes (like lowering salt intake) exercise, and/or lowering stress levels which sort this issue out. Our genes don't mean that we will definitely inherit conditions; only that there's slightly more risk which generally means that we should take better care of ourselves, but we should be doing that anyway. My aunty had high blood pressure but she drank and smoked heavily. My mum had started with some high BP by the time she was 70 but she smoked and had upped her alcohol intake. My other aunty (their sister) doesn't have high BP - she stopped smoking decades ago, drinks moderately, and walks everywhere. What this tells me is that there's a risk that I could develop high BP under certain conditions. I stopped smoking years ago, don't drink alcohol anymore, and I exercise as much as I can. I also try to control my stress levels because that's my biggest issue..

We have more control over our bodies than we think, and our bodies are more magnificent than we could ever understand. Our scary thoughts cause us to feel horrible, but happy thoughts make us feel good. Maybe, the next time you have your BP taken, try to conjure up a happy memory? One that makes you instantly smile? Because your body will react and release those happy hormones. Try it?

Hi, just to add that my father has white coat syndrome. Was treated for high blood pressure for years but the medication made him so dizzy and unwell. Eventually he had a monitor fitted and it turned out he had extremely high blood pressure in any medical setting but everywhere else it was totally normal. He’s now off of medication and the doctors are just aware that his blood pressure will get higher and higher in medical settings so they try to do what they can to avoid it getting worse. He even managed to have his vaccinations alone in the centre to avoid the stress of being surrounded by lots of people and his blood pressure going high. But he’s in his 60s and totally healthy except for white coat syndrome!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyFay View Post
    Hi, just to add that my father has white coat syndrome. Was treated for high blood pressure for years but the medication made him so dizzy and unwell.
    Loads of people on blood pressure meds who don't need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    No, but I don't let it bother me. It's like my panic attacks that I get rarely now - I don't add fear to them. I know I don't have high BP, and this is an anxiety issue, so I just do my deep breathing exercises..

People around you will have been anxious too. At least you were giving them a rest from their own anxiety eh?

Obviously, you'll need to have hypertension diagnosed but just because some members of your family have it, doesn't necessarily mean that you do, or will. Often, it's just a case of dietary changes (like lowering salt intake) exercise, and/or lowering stress levels which sort this issue out. Our genes don't mean that we will definitely inherit conditions; only that there's slightly more risk which generally means that we should take better care of ourselves, but we should be doing that anyway. My aunty had high blood pressure but she drank and smoked heavily. My mum had started with some high BP by the time she was 70 but she smoked and had upped her alcohol intake. My other aunty (their sister) doesn't have high BP - she stopped smoking decades ago, drinks moderately, and walks everywhere. What this tells me is that there's a risk that I could develop high BP under certain conditions. I stopped smoking years ago, don't drink alcohol anymore, and I exercise as much as I can. I also try to control my stress levels because that's my biggest issue..

We have more control over our bodies than we think, and our bodies are more magnificent than we could ever understand. Our scary thoughts cause us to feel horrible, but happy thoughts make us feel good. Maybe, the next time you have your BP taken, try to conjure up a happy memory? One that makes you instantly smile? Because your body will react and release those happy hormones. Try it?
    Thank you, Nora. This gives a lot of context into my worries. I've been trying hard to eat healthy and I hope it will eventually translate into good blood test results when the docs test me. Unfortunately, my appointment has been pushed to next Monday so more waiting I guess. But I guess it can be also good so I can mentally prepare myself by reading all your thoughts here.
    Glad that you are taking hold of your health now by quitting smoking! I've been trying to conjure happy memories whenever I try to do something medical but the worry overtakes it eventually lol! Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by skyisblue View Post
    Glad that you are taking hold of your health now by quitting smoking!
    I quit 12 years ago.

High blood pressure during periods of intense anxiety and fear is normal and you dont need to worry about it. High blood pressure becomes an issue when it is always high even during sleep. The same occurs with high heart rate.
    You get anxious about your health and the adrenaline raises your BP and heart rate. This is not dangerous though if you have a healthy heart.

Quote Originally Posted by iwantpeace View Post
    High blood pressure during periods of intense anxiety and fear is normal and you dont need to worry about it. High blood pressure becomes an issue when it is always high even during sleep. The same occurs with high heart rate.
    You get anxious about your health and the adrenaline raises your BP and heart rate. This is not dangerous though if you have a healthy heart.
    Thank you for this reassuriing post. My doctor's appointment is tomorrow and I'm sure she will order blood tests for my baseline and I'm super scared what they will find out!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I quit 12 years ago.
    Awesome to hear!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information