Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP was up to 170/100 at the vaccination center today. I'm dead

BP was up to 170/100 at the vaccination center today. I'm dead

I'm on the verge of breaking down right now. I'm a 30M fit Asian guy who stands at 5'10 and weigh about 160 pounds.

For more than 10 years, I've battled on and off health anxiety. I also what you call whitecoat hypertension which is getting high BP readings when taking your BP. Basically, I fear of getting high numbers and end up getting them! But on hindsight, I do think I also have BP issues because it runs in the family and my anxiety simply worsens it.

Long story short: Here in our country, the vax procedure requires you to have a stable BP. So they take your vitals before injecting you. I've dreaded this day for months ever since I found out they take your BP.

The nurse took my temperature and oxygen levels (which were fine) but my pulse rate (they used the device on the finger) and registered at 122! I was very uncomfortable especially during the wait as I see people getting deferred because of high BP ahead of me. I felt pressured to give a stable BP. And lo and behold my first reading was 170/100!

I tried to look calm but deep inside I just wanted to die of the embarassment. The nurse said I was very nervous and set me aside to "calm myself down" and after 15 mins, my BP was 160/100 (I was still feeling anxious and uneasy).

Nurse referred me to the doctor whom I told about my anxiety and told me to calm down. He said I looked and talked very nervous and gave me this anti-hypertensive med which you put under the tongue. After 10 mins, they took my BP and said it was 140/90 and was already good for vax. I know it's still high but the moment they said I'm ok to be injected, I immediately felt a wave of calmness and relief.

Anyway, as someone who suffers from health anxiety, I can't help but obsess over these numbers. I cannot bring myself to even measure my BP at home because I will drive myself nuts as I will obsess over the results. I want to but I don't know where to start.

I'm going to a cardiologist next Monday to help me with this and maybe it is about time to finally confront my issue so I can be given proper meds.

Can someone please extend me some success stories or any good stuff while I wait for my appointment? I feel like I will die of heart failure anytime :(

Re: BP was up to 170/100 at the vaccination center today. I'm dead

Your not gonna die from heart failure and none of those blood pressure numbers you noted in your post are “dangerously high” they are a bit high yes because you were anxious and therefore nothing to worry yourself over.

If you are concerned about your blood pressure limit your sodium intake, it’s better to try and keep your blood pressure in check with changes to your diet and exercise if possible. If those things don’t work then maybe consider medication if your blood pressure is actually high and needs management (which is probably isn’t and doesn’t).

It’s probably not a good idea for you to check your blood pressure at home but if you must don’t do it more then once per day and be sure when you do check it that you are calm and have been sitting for at least 10 minutes and maybe try to do it in the evening time as people are often more relaxed in the evenings.
    Last edited by Careful1; 05-06-21 at 05:48.

I also what you call whitecoat hypertension which is getting high BP readings when taking your BP.
    Snap, and also for many here. Your reading wasn't THAT high, neither for BP or heart rate. I've had that reading before taken by a nurse and I can recall exactly when as I was VERY worked up before it. I have normal blood pressure the rest of the time and it comes down quickly when not in stressful situations (I no longer take my BP at home and haven't for 5 years). I am not surprised you got that reading, what a horrible pressure on someone with white coat hypertension. The whole situation sounds like it was badly handled to be honest. I don't know what country you are from, but I bet half their people here in the UK would fail on their BP reading at a vaccination centre, if it was done It sounds horrific people being turned away due to their BP ahead of you. I'm not surprised also that you are so scared now, this whole situation has played into your HA fear hugely.

Heart faliure, no, certainly not. I was with a woman earlier this year whose BP I took at her request and it was 185/100 during major anxiety, it came down quickly once not anxious. You had a high reading that started to come down, and I bet would have carried on coming down. Everything about that day spiked your anxiety hugely. Have your meeting with your expert, see what they genuinely think about if there is anything that needs medication, but at 30 years old and fit and healthy surely dietary and lifestyle change would be considered first.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    Your not gonna die from heart failure and none of those blood pressure numbers you noted in your post are “dangerously high” they are a bit high yes because you were anxious and therefore nothing to worry yourself over.

If you are concerned about your blood pressure limit your sodium intake, it’s better to try and keep your blood pressure in check with changes to your diet and exercise if possible. If those things don’t work then maybe consider medication if your blood pressure is actually high and needs management (which is probably isn’t and doesn’t).

It’s probably not a good idea for you to check your blood pressure at home but if you must don’t do it more then once per day and be sure when you do check it that you are calm and have been sitting for at least 10 minutes and maybe try to do it in the evening time as people are often more relaxed in the evenings.
    Thank you for this reassuring post. It helps me get through as I wait for my doctor's appointment in two days. I've been trying to eat better now. I haven't eaten pork in over two months and most of I eat are fish and veggies and a few beef. Which is very unusual of me.

I'll also ask tips from my cardio on what she thinks about monitoring my BP at home despite my anxiety. I hope she can also offer some reassuring stories from her other patients.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Snap, and also for many here. Your reading wasn't THAT high, neither for BP or heart rate. I've had that reading before taken by a nurse and I can recall exactly when as I was VERY worked up before it. I have normal blood pressure the rest of the time and it comes down quickly when not in stressful situations (I no longer take my BP at home and haven't for 5 years). I am not surprised you got that reading, what a horrible pressure on someone with white coat hypertension. The whole situation sounds like it was badly handled to be honest. I don't know what country you are from, but I bet half their people here in the UK would fail on their BP reading at a vaccination centre, if it was done It sounds horrific people being turned away due to their BP ahead of you. I'm not surprised also that you are so scared now, this whole situation has played into your HA fear hugely.

Heart faliure, no, certainly not. I was with a woman earlier this year whose BP I took at her request and it was 185/100 during major anxiety, it came down quickly once not anxious. You had a high reading that started to come down, and I bet would have carried on coming down. Everything about that day spiked your anxiety hugely. Have your meeting with your expert, see what they genuinely think about if there is anything that needs medication, but at 30 years old and fit and healthy surely dietary and lifestyle change would be considered first.
    Thank you for the reassurance. I'm in the Philippines where they do all these vital checks before the vaccination which has already been called by a lot of experts as unproductive because it discriminates those who have elevated BP and I guess a lot of them are due to stress, anxiety, and the environment. Do they not do these in the UK? I guess that's why your vaccination is so fast!

Thank you for the story as well, I hope that woman is fine. I'll keep reading your posts here to get me through until I meet my doctor on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by skyisblue View Post

I'm going to a cardiologist next Monday to help me with this and maybe it is about time to finally confront my issue so I can be given proper meds.

If it's White Coat Syndrome, it isn't a cardiologist you need; it's a psychological therapist.

I developed WCS a few years ago and now my heart races as soon as I sit down in the chair in the surgery. I wouldn't recommend that HAers monitor themselves at home but I was in a more rational place when I did mine, and I was fine, so I know there's no issue aside a psychological one.

Unless you have an actual heart condition, I would advise caution in taking medication because the side-effects could cause other issues - which is problematic when you have HA. Doctors will always go down the meds route because it's all they know. I was given beta-blockers and anti-depressants - which only made the issues worse.

You just need to know your own body and understand the stress response. You can slow your heart rate down and lower your BP with breathing exercises and dietary tweaks here and there. Your body is marvellous and it will look after you - you just need to understand it a little better.

I feel like I will die of heart failure anytime :(
    Not going to happen. Your readings are not that high, and raised BP is to be expected with severe anxiety - especially at a vaccination centre! Had I had have to have my BP taken before mine - I would have been waiting a long time too!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    If it's White Coat Syndrome, it isn't a cardiologist you need; it's a psychological therapist.

I developed WCS a few years ago and now my heart races as soon as I sit down in the chair in the surgery. I wouldn't recommend that HAers monitor themselves at home but I was in a more rational place when I did mine, and I was fine, so I know there's no issue aside a psychological one.

Unless you have an actual heart condition, I would advise caution in taking medication because the side-effects could cause other issues - which is problematic when you have HA. Doctors will always go down the meds route because it's all they know. I was given beta-blockers and anti-depressants - which only made the issues worse.

You just need to know your own body and understand the stress response. You can slow your heart rate down and lower your BP with breathing exercises and dietary tweaks here and there. Your body is marvellous and it will look after you - you just need to understand it a little better.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT=&amp]

Not going to happen. Your readings are not that high, and raised BP is to be expected with severe anxiety - especially at a vaccination centre! Had I had have to have my BP taken before mine - I would have been waiting a long time too!
    Thank you, Nora. I'll try to relay it to the doctor. I do feel that I already have some form of hypertension because it runs in our family, but my anxiety worsens it. Have you been able to get ride of your WCS?

Thank you also for the reassurance. That experience really sucked. Everybody was looking at me because my BP was making a scene!

it discriminates those who have elevated BP and I guess a lot of them are due to stress, anxiety, and the environment. Do they not do these in the UK?
    No, thats not done here at all. In all honesty if it was, half the population would be unvaccinated now........(figure made up lol) . Can you imagine taking the BP of those with WCS, or needle phobia or just with standard Higher than usual BP ? Well, you can imagine it, as you experienced it yourself. I am VERY surprised you were given immediate medication, just like that, when the cause of the higher than normal BP had a reason.

I hope that woman is fine
    Totally, it came down to normal levels within 1 -2 hours.
    Last edited by Carys; 05-06-21 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by skyisblue View Post
    I do feel that I already have some form of hypertension because it runs in our family, but my anxiety worsens it.
    Just because it runs in your family doesn’t mean you are or will be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    No, thats not done here at all. In all honesty if it was, half the population would be unvaccinated now........(figure made up lol) . Can you imagine taking the BP of those with WCS, or needle phobia or just with standard Higher than usual BP ? Well, you can imagine it, as you experienced it yourself. I am VERY surprised you were given immediate medication, just like that, when the cause of the higher than normal BP had a reason.

Totally, it came down to normal levels within 1 -2 hours.
    I think we're one of the few countries who does this!!! It's annoying. I anticipated it for many weeks and I was so anxious. I actaully deferred my first schedule because I couldn't handle it only to get a high reading when new schedule came. Sigh.

I'm glad she's fine! I hope I can bring my numbers down...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information