Thread: Suffocating feeling when lying down.

Suffocating feeling when lying down.

Hello, hope you’re well-

So I know it‘s definitely anxiety related but now wondering if there’s also a physical element to this because of how vivid the sensations can be. Only at night laying down, I sometimes find it hard to swallow and breathe/need to take a big yawn to breathe properly. Fair enough, had this on and off for years, distraction is usually the cure. However I have also woken up in the night a few times (started maybe a year ago) not being able to breathe at all, to the point where I must sit up and gasp for air. I have also had this a few times while awake. I’m thinking it’s just the panic of not getting a proper breath that escalates into me not being able to breathe at all. I have a mild overbite and sometimes feel like that can be affecting it. When it happens, my neck/jaw muscles just feel very tight.

What do you think?

Re: Suffocating feeling when lying down.

Sounds possible. Are you overweight at all? Gasping in the night can be sleep apnoea but I think that's quite unlikely if it's happening in the day as well.

"A physical element" is often a huge part of anxiety, and you are probably aware that you are describing hyperventilation, which can cause many physical symptoms.

I don't know you so don't know your history, are you on meds? Have they been reviewed recently? Are you going to speak to your doctor about this? (I would if I were you, for reassurance).

Thread Information