Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diazepam

Re: Diazepam

I was only prescribed a weeks worth and I took them as an emergency and the Dr did tell me to drink alot of water with them too.

Diazepam can be very effective if they're Not taken every day. If you take them every day, you'll find the effects wear off and so the dose will be increased with little benefit and you'll become addicted to them. When you then try to come off them, your anxiety will shoot through the roof because your body will react unless the reduction is Very slow.

When I was prescribed them, I wasn't warned about the addictiveness of them and was left on them. After the dose had been gradually increased over 3 years I decided I want to come off them but it then took me 6 months to get off them. If I reduced too quickly, my anxiety levels became much worse.

They're fine to take on the odd days you need them because I found they are a good sedative but I really wouldn't advise that you should take them daily. I'm a little surprised your doctor prescribed them when he must know how addictive they are.

My wifes mother has taken them for depression for so many years now, she has been advised by her doctor to never attempt to come off them purely because of the withdrawal symptoms that will result, so please be very careful. They will only ease your symptoms but not tackle why your anxiety is so bad.

Thanks,
    In fairness to my Doc. I was only given a weeks worth of Diaz. and advised to take them until the Citalopram kicked in, but I decided not to start the Citalopram, but feel that I need a very mild tranqu.to ease the shakyness etc.

I find Diazepam doesn't touch me. Lorazepam helps and I take that when I'm really struggling, but the diazepam which I am taking every morning as a method of cutting down the Lorazepam, doesn't help at all. It may as well be a smartie.

hi decca iam new to this site, like you i have been on diazepam, the doctor has given me it a few times,in the short term it really does help what i do sometimes is instead of taking it when iam meant to, i have one in my pocket in case i need it knowing it is there really helps me and sometimes i dont need to take it. the only side effects are they make you feel drowzy. but to take them long term you can become addicted to them so you have to carefull but your doctor has only put you on a low does so you will be fine
    hope that helps you. take care cherie

I have been given FIVE today.
    I wanted them just in case i get panicky, i'm hoping the knowledge of having them there will ease my worries

FINGERS CROSSED!

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hiya Decca.
    If your Doc is sensible he/she will not keep you on Diazepam for very long.Personally I had no side effects but the drug is very addictive and back in the 70s they were supossd to be the new wonder drug.I became addicted a few times over the years and they made my problems much worse.I do no though that they are very good for getting you over a tough spell.
    good luck xx

PS where I live now,the GP's will not prescribe them under any circumstances.Not because of side effects but because of addiction.You just need more and more to do the same job.

Diazepam has been a life saver for me when I need to go on appointments like dentist, doctors and the hairdressers. I can go weeks without having any but knowing they're there are very reassuring for me. I will say though that I felt very tired and headachy after taking them so I don't think i'd like to take them long term.

hi, i didnt have any side effects from diazepam, it just really relaxed me, just be carefull when you need to come off it, just make sure your doctor weans you off it, dont come off it straight away.

take care

ruth

Anyone on here ever taken Cipralex? The Doctor gave me them this morning and now I darent take them because of the side effects!!!

BasilCat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information