Thread: Bone cancer/sarcoma fear in knee

Bone cancer/sarcoma fear in knee

Hi there. I haven't posted for a while.

I feel silly even posting this but I'm having a bit of a relapse. I've started a new training program and have been training in the gym for 6 weeks, as well as playing football every 2 weeks. Last night I noticed that I had a sack of fluid(?) underneath my left knee, accompanied by some yellowy reddish bruising.

After I trained my legs the other day, I can remember having some pain in my knee, but I can't be sure if it was in the same place. Once I saw the lump of fluid, my anxiety went into overdrive and I started googling, which is something which I promised myself I would never do again. I'm currently taking mirtazapine for anxiety and I'm on the waiting list for CBT, so I know I can finally get rid of this illness (anxiety) for good.

I'm going to see a friend of a friend who is a GP, because after Googling I've convinced myself I've got primary bone cancer, or I've got a soft tissue sarcoma. I know how silly that sounds but right now I genuinely believe I'm going to have to fight a serious illness.

Posting here is so therapeutic for me, so I hope you guys can knock some sense into me.

Anxiouscow

Anxiouscow

Re: Bone cancer/sarcoma fear in knee

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiouscow View Post
    Hi there. I haven't posted for a while.

I feel silly even posting this but I'm having a bit of a relapse. I've started a new training program and have been training in the gym for 6 weeks, as well as playing football every 2 weeks. Last night I noticed that I had a sack of fluid(?) underneath my left knee, accompanied by some yellowy reddish bruising.

After I trained my legs the other day, I can remember having some pain in my knee, but I can't be sure if it was in the same place. Once I saw the lump of fluid, my anxiety went into overdrive and I started googling, which is something which I promised myself I would never do again. I'm currently taking mirtazapine for anxiety and I'm on the waiting list for CBT, so I know I can finally get rid of this illness (anxiety) for good.

I'm going to see a friend of a friend who is a GP, because after Googling I've convinced myself I've got primary bone cancer, or I've got a soft tissue sarcoma. I know how silly that sounds but right now I genuinely believe I'm going to have to fight a serious illness.

Posting here is so therapeutic for me, so I hope you guys can knock some sense into me.

Anxiouscow
    Sounds like a case of over-use and trauma (you've banged it - highly likely with football)

You should have iced the area for 15 mins about 4-6 times a day at the time of pain..

I don’t think many people would get these symptoms and think cancer! It very much sounds like a sports injury. But I know how the anxious brain works!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Sounds like a case of over-use and trauma (you've banged it - highly likely with football)

You should have iced the area for 15 mins about 4-6 times a day at the time of pain..
    I should have done! I saw the GP who has sorted out a referral to an acute knee injury clinic. She said she thought it was either a meniscus problem or a ligament injury and that the swelling was most probably caused by effusion.

I asked her if she was bothered by the lump and she just seemed to dismiss it and focus on feeling my knee and the back of it. So it must be nothing then.

Anxiouscow

I know. It's crazy. After seeing the GP I feel a little better though.

Just bad form. Wad u squatting or using the leg press??

Quote Originally Posted by Rb93 View Post
    Just bad form. Wad u squatting or using the leg press??
    Leg extensions. I had injured my knee playing football anyway, but I think poor form doing the extensions led to the sprain. In the end I've been diagnosed with bursitis, so a couple weeks rest and I'll be back.

Anxiouscow

Thread Information