Thread: Melanoma fears... please help :(

Melanoma fears... please help :(

So I have had 2 moles on my foot for as long as I can remember (20 years +). That's not what I'm worried about - around 2.5 years ago, I noticed a new spot on the sole of my foot (the one that has the moles on it) It just looks like a pigment - kind of reddish/brown (see photos), and it's not actually on the surface but beneath it. So when I look at it, it appears that there's some pigment beneath, but nothing actually on the surface. I forgot about it and just looked at it recently (after 2.5 years of first spotting it) - the spot pretty much looks the same (if not smaller?) but when I shine my flash light of my phone, I see this weird line that looks like it's extending from the spot. It's seems deeper than the initial spot so can't be seen from the surface (only if you look sideways with the flash torch). You can't see it when you just look at it as it is under the surface, but when I hold the light sideways I can see it - I thought maybe it's a normal blood vessel/fold inside the layers of skin, but it looks like it connects to where that new pigment sits! So now I'm freaking out this is a melanoma that's expanding through my foot and really panicking. I'm also worried that if I go get it checked out they'll dismiss it because it's so hard to see in the first place (and I have to do something particular to see it - is this why they don't usually detect these until so late or am I just being over the top and it's nothing!) - not to mention an appointment with a derm will probably take months to get into. I never noticed the line before, and it may be because it's hard to see in the first place, or because it's new - I don't know!

I'm just confused why - if this was something spreading - wouldn't there be more going on the surface? I.e. wouldn't the initial spot start to look different/grow? Wouldn't it start to darken/enlarge, or does everything just occur below the surface? Would I be able to see it spreading beneath the skin like that? I have seen some photos of melanoma of the foot and they all look very bad - obviously mine isn't like that but I do know that those melanomas are usually found too late as they are often ignored! So I'm worried mine is in the early stages but starting to spread due to this line :(

I'm really worried! I included photos - sorry in advance for the feet pics lol. but you can see one of my normal moles underneath, and how this looks quite different...It's impossible to take a photo of that line thing that I can see so the pigment itself is all I've got.
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 08-06-21 at 14:43.

Re: Melanoma fears... please help :(

That is not a melanoma. I'm not a derm but I have had 4 biopsy and a lot of skin checks. Look at the abc of melanoma. Plus it will grow if it is

How can we be sure? I feel like nobody would even biopsy this so I don't know how to calm down - I feel like its growing under the skin, not the surface, and it'll be too late by the time I find out :(

Pictures removed.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Sorry I thought I could post pictures - why are they removed?

Because we do not want members posting pictures asking for a diagnosis.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information