Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I finally got my vaccine! (A happy thread)

Re: I finally got my vaccine! (A happy thread)

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Not understanding why August, pfizer is my choice of vaccine so I've been reading up on it. Recommended second dose is 21 days. Did I miss something?
    It seems to vary by country but here in the US, we had ours two weeks between. The bottom line is still getting the two doses regardless of the time between.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 09-06-21 at 23:08.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Not understanding why August, pfizer is my choice of vaccine so I've been reading up on it. Recommended second dose is 21 days. Did I miss something?
    It's because at Christmas our government, on the advice of our experts, decided that it would be safe to extend all our vaccine dosing to 12 weeks. This was because we were faced with 21 dosing of very few people or single dosing of a much larger number if our most vulnerable people. The strategy paid off and a single dose was enough to stop the thousands if deaths.

Recently more vulnerable groups that remain (over 50s, some over 60s and less clinically vulnerable groups) were speeded up to 8 weeks because of the Indian variant. But this is a precaution and covers the hospitals since it's the over 50s and clinically vulnerable groups that make up 99% of all admissions.

Other countries do things differently. The 21 days was by the manufacturer but it has since been found it doesn't have to be that strictly adhered too...and our government's strategy has proven that in the real world.

That's great to hear! I'm working up the nerve to get mine and this helps encourage me. Do you know why they are only giving pfizer and moderna to those under 40? Seems kind of odd. What are they giving those over 40?

When I do go, I'm going to get pfizer, I'm over 40 and grateful there's no such rule here.
    It's about weighing up the risk of a blood clot vs the risk of serious illness through Covid. Since younger groups experience milder illness there comes a point at which the risk of a clot from AZ becomes greater than the benefits brought by the vaccine from Covid.

The 40s are where that line was found. So they avoid that risk by switching to a vaccine that doesn't bring that risk factor.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    I finally got my first vaccine yesterday! It was incredibly easy (although I did have to drive to another town to get it - based in the UK). I sent a message to my boyfriend when I arrived and then again when it was all done and i was waiting after and the time in between them was a grand total of 7 minutes!

I had Pfizer, I'm ok with needles but I barely even felt it so I think anyone who's scared of needles would be fine. The nurse was very helpful and went through everything with me, even though they are busy she was happy to answer any questions.

In the UK when you book appointments they don't say it on the platform but they give under 40s appointments for Pfizer or Moderna only (over 40s may get AZ but I know lots of over 40s who have had the others) and when you arrive at the vaccination centre you get sent to the Pfizer/ Moderna/ AZ building or section. All very self explanatory and everyone was really friendly and helpful.

I felt fine after and on the drive back, I got a little tired/ achy last night and today my arm hurts and I feel a bit run down but that's all. No fever or anything - and I've already had covid so the side effects are meant to be worse! My boyfriend had his jab 2 days before me and he did feel feverish for a day but he's fine now. The side effects of the vaccine were 1000x better than actually having covid!

I know lots of people have had their vaccine now but I just thought I'd share my experience in case there are people on here who are still worried. I can't speak for other countries, but in the UK the NHS are doing it marvelously and I felt completely reassured ��

Second dose booked in August!
    Well done!

It sounds like the vaccination centre was really well organised too. So many of these people are volunteers who are doing a great job for society.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Well done!

It sounds like the vaccination centre was really well organised too. So many of these people are volunteers who are doing a great job for society.
    Thankyou! Yes, amazing isn't it! Such an incredible thing to do

Like Terry said, they decided to do things differently in the UK to get the first dose out to as many people as quickly as they could... it was a gamble and it did pay off - we were in a bad situation in January and rates fell quite rapidly - but it's still vaccine advice to give it a 21 day gap. We did have 12 week gaps at one point but they are trying to do it a bit quicker now due to the Delta variant. Apparently they are doing the same in Canada. But the most important thing is getting both jabs whenever possible in your country

Wow, she did really well! Glad everything is fine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information