Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Left sided pains in stomach just beneath ribs

Left sided pains in stomach just beneath ribs

If anyone can help calm me down I would really appreciate it.

8 weeks ago I posted on here because I was worried about upper gastric pains I was getting. I saw a doctor and had the usual set of bloods done which all came back normal. The pains went away and would pop up occasionally but I was ok. Then last weekend I started to get really sharp stabbing pains in the front of my upper stomach on the left side just below my rib. I have worked hard to not react to it, but the last couple of days my anxiety has soared and I’m so frightened as to what’s causing it. I have an appointment with my GP which was already booked a while back for my meds review so I am trying to wait until then, but I’m spiralling. If I knew the pains weren’t anything to worry about I could accept them even though they hurt when they come.

I suppose my biggest worry is that it’s pancreatic cancer, which was what I was worrying about 8 weeks ago. The pains have been coming and going since the weekend, so nearly a week and throughout the day they come and go and are feel almost stitch-like. I’ve managed to hold it together at work today, but now I’m home the thoughts keep coming. I keep thinking that there really is something very wrong and can’t believe these pains can be anything other than something awful. I can’t blame it on gas or acid because I don’t have any issues with them. The fact that it’s on the left scares me, having read about the pancreas causing pain there and also the fact that it’s been going on for nearly a week.

I hope someone can help reassure me. I know no one on here is a doctor and cannot diagnose, but to know that others have had such pains with nothing nasty, would help a bit. Apart from the pains I have no other symptoms and have a normal appetite.
    Can anyone relate?

X

Re: Left sided pains in stomach just beneath ribs

I have had those pains off an on for years. They are usually accompanied with great wind on my part, and groans of despair from my wife. Point being, gas and gastric ailments are strong bedfellows with anxiety.

Hey, I've been there with worries about Pancreas issues. I recently had blood work come back with elevated lipase, which points toward pancreatitis. Luckily, I had a abdominal CT scan and my pancreas looked fine, so it's probably not Cancer in my case. In fact, I am fairly certain my issues are either caused by Gallbladder issues or Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Gallstones are the most common cause of pancreatitis aside from alcohol, which I don't drink. I am hoping it's gallbladder related, as that is the easiest to fix.

Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to have gallbladder pain be referred to the left side, even if the right is the most common location. So it's not guaranteed that your issues are related to your pancreas. If the pain continues or recurs like mine does (I have had upper abdomen pain for at least a year or two already) I would recommend talking to your doctor.

My pain was usually on my right side and into my back below my shoulder blade or between my shoulder blades. After eating, the pain would burn, sort of like heartburn but worse. Otherwise, the pain would be more of a dull ache that would sometimes get worse or throb if I bent down or moved. Sometimes, I get electric pains that shoot from one side of my abdomen to the other. With my pain, I would also have a lot of burping, bloating, a feeling a fullness or lack of appetite, and sometimes nausea. (this might be tmi, but I just thought that I would include the following in case you are having similar symptoms) After really bad pain attacks, I would sometimes have burning diarrhea. In general, my stools became all sorts of funky colors, from orange and fluffy to dark dark brown and oily. Also had a lot of undigested food bits.

I get pains like that all the time. You'll be surprised what trapped wind can do to you.

May I ask how old you are?

Thanks for the replies - it does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiouscow View Post
    I get pains like that all the time. You'll be surprised what trapped wind can do to you.

May I ask how old you are?
    I’m 52, which only adds to my fear as I feel I’m more at risk since hitting 50.

I know for a fact that half of all pancreatic cancer cases in the UK occur in people aged 75 and over. That's a FACT, that I could verify through Cancer Research UK (don't Google it, you'll only add fuel to the fire if you click on symptoms etc).

Pancreatic cancer is a deadly cancer, sure. But that also works in your favour as a HA sufferer. Let me explain. If those pains your stomach were caused by pancreatic cancer, the tumour would be very large. The reason pancreatic cancer is so deadly is because it is usually only diagnosed in an advanced stage, and only causes significant symptoms when it is in this stage. So, if your pains were caused by pancreatic cancer, you would be very sick by now. You'd be losing weight rapidly, you'd feel very tired and weak, and you would almost certainly be showing signs of jaundice.

The pains you describe, I get very often. And I don't have pancreatic cancer. I'm not a doctor and I can't diagnose you, but if you had stomach pains 8 weeks ago that were caused by pancreatic cancer, by now you would be very very ill, I can assure you. I think it is safe to move on from this and trust your doctor

Thank you anxiouscow for taking the time to reply in such detail.
    X

Individuals with severe anxiety tend to have digestive and bowel issues...IBS can cause hepatic and splenic flexure syndrome. Simply might mean you have gas and spasms of your colon causing pain. It can happen on right side (hepatic) or left (splenic). Learned this through my own severe bowel and digestive issues when under a lot of stress; digestion is immediately impacted and that stress transfers to bowel mobility as well.

Thank you Erin

I’m really spiralling today. I didn’t have any pain yesterday and was feeling more relaxed. Then when I went to bed I had awful pain in the very centre of by upper stomach and this morning I have acid feeling and quick sharp pains in the left again. I’m so scared I have pancreatic cancer.

I lost my mum in March and I’m devastated but I know people think it’s all stress related. I know stress or anxiety doesn’t cause sharp pains in stomach and when I looked up left sided stomach pain it keeps coming up with pancreas. I don’t think it’s acid reflux as I’m not getting a burning pain. I’ve not lost weight and my appetite is fine but I’m a mess and can’t believe it’s not what I fear.

If it’s not the sharp stand under my rib near upper gastric area then it’s the pain in the centre of this area. I had blood tests 8 weeks ago but they were fbc, kidney/liver function and the inflammation marker ones. Not pancreas. All normal.

I’m also panicking that I have diabetes after reading that it can be a symptom of pc. I know my bloods wouldn’t have shown blood sugar issues so can’t rely on them. I have an appointment booked with my doctor on the 1st July so will tell her my worries but I just need somewhere to write them down.

I know I probably sound mental but I’m 52, and developed these pains two months ago if I was 32 I’d not be as worried.

Sorry to go on I’m just so scared.

X

It can be hard to accept that stress can cause the digestive system to be affected in such a way, but it absolutely can.

My symptoms started at the start of perimenopause to include severe depression and my bowels and abdominal pains were the first significant symptoms I experienced. Scared me to death and I still struggle.

If your bloodwork was normal, I would estimate you are okay. You've went through a very stressful time and still are....it takes quite a toll on the body.

I can understand your fear of the symptoms, I have been there myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information