Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Left sided pains in stomach just beneath ribs

Re: Left sided pains in stomach just beneath ribs

Quote Originally Posted by erincassells View Post
    It can be hard to accept that stress can cause the digestive system to be affected in such a way, but it absolutely can.

My symptoms started at the start of perimenopause to include severe depression and my bowels and abdominal pains were the first significant symptoms I experienced. Scared me to death and I still struggle.

If your bloodwork was normal, I would estimate you are okay. You've went through a very stressful time and still are....it takes quite a toll on the body.

I can understand your fear of the symptoms, I have been there myself.
    Hi Erin

Thanks for your support.
    I think I could be peri menopausal but have put my symptoms down to anxiety as I have always suffered with it.

I havenÂ’t had a period since Feb and before that they were getting further apart and lighter. I have awful forgetfulness and brain fog, and feel tearful, more anxious and low.

IÂ’m having hot moments but these only really happen in the evenings. (Which is another thing I equate to my fear about pc after reading that pc can cause diabetes and diabetes can cause hot sweats after eating!) I can be sat there and all of sudden I get really really hot but only really happens in the evenings into the night. When I sleep IÂ’m hot but not hot sweats.

You sound like you are handling things well. I always say that if I knew 100% that the pains were nothing bad I would relax and be happy.
    Thanks again for your support.

X

It may be hormonal/perimenopausal, but only your doctor can confirm. Cycle changes in our age group are a big sign.

I definitely don't think I handle things well, however...I started to look for different likely answers to my symptoms. I have been desperately depressed due to scary symptoms for a while. I just have accepted in some areas that I can only do.my best to live healthy and take care of myself. I have more bad days than good unfortunately, but I have to get out of bed and face the day. It does very much affect my outlook and quality of life despite my best efforts.

I have had similar pains and a colonoscopy and other scans with nothing found except mild esophagitis last year.

Hormone fluctuations can cause slight blood sugar imbalances, body temperature changes, and also changes to digestion and bowel motility. Hormones send signals to not only to our brain, but our entire metabolic and endocrine system. My mom had an easy go and transition into menopause, not so much for me.

As we age, our stomach acids decrease and sometimes digestion slows with aging and stress. You wouldn't think it could cause the pain it does, but it certainly can. I never had any problems with my gut until 41.5 years old...then it ramped up with strange symptoms significantly.

I am sure you will stay in contact with your doctor to ask questions, but I wanted to offer a little help if I could based on my experiences.

I'm sorry you're going through it and I do relate to the fears. I share the above to let you know that you are not alone in your fears.

Maybe a womens health practitioner would be helpful to get a better look at your hormone levels.

Wishing you well.

Hi Erin

Yes I am hoping to speak to someone about my hormones. Sorry you are having a tough time too. It’s just horrible isn’t it. I really hate the whole menopause thing - it just reminds me that I’m getting older and with that my HA increases.
    X

Yes...I've been through rough patches in my life but the hormone related depression/anxiety is different and really creates a different level of gloom, doom, fear and low mood. It's not easy to explain to someone who isn't experiencing it themselves. I was not prepared for it.

Hope you find a small way to enjoy the day.

Quote Originally Posted by flatterycat View Post
    Thank you Erin

I’m really spiralling today. I didn’t have any pain yesterday and was feeling more relaxed. Then when I went to bed I had awful pain in the very centre of by upper stomach and this morning I have acid feeling and quick sharp pains in the left again. I’m so scared I have pancreatic cancer.

I lost my mum in March and I’m devastated but I know people think it’s all stress related. I know stress or anxiety doesn’t cause sharp pains in stomach and when I looked up left sided stomach pain it keeps coming up with pancreas. I don’t think it’s acid reflux as I’m not getting a burning pain. I’ve not lost weight and my appetite is fine but I’m a mess and can’t believe it’s not what I fear.

If it’s not the sharp stand under my rib near upper gastric area then it’s the pain in the centre of this area. I had blood tests 8 weeks ago but they were fbc, kidney/liver function and the inflammation marker ones. Not pancreas. All normal.

I’m also panicking that I have diabetes after reading that it can be a symptom of pc. I know my bloods wouldn’t have shown blood sugar issues so can’t rely on them. I have an appointment booked with my doctor on the 1st July so will tell her my worries but I just need somewhere to write them down.

I know I probably sound mental but I’m 52, and developed these pains two months ago if I was 32 I’d not be as worried.

Sorry to go on I’m just so scared.

X
    The very fact you are juggling worries about different illnesses shows me that you are having a difficult period against the beast.

Being 52 is not a risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Let me just clarify, that an age related risk factor for that particular cancer begin at 75. You've got another 23 years before your age qualifies you for a higher risk.

Stomach pains, along with headaches and tiredness are the three most common ailments that people visit their doctor for in the UK. I can promise you that less than 1% of these people, maybe even less than 0.1% of these people with stomach pains, will have PC.

I suggest that you speak to your GP, and be vocal of your PC concerns. If they dismiss your worries for PC, ask them why they think you do not have it, and that should reassure you.

I can't diagnose you, but as people get older you can be more susceptible to food intolerances, which can cause the symptoms you describe. IBS, which goes hand in hand with anxiety, presents itself very similarly to the symptoms you have, and food intolerances and IBS are ten times more common than PC. But your brain doesn't focus on them because they can't kill you

Anxiouscow

Thanks Anxiouscow

You’re so very right with your last line. I can see the symptoms for a scary illness and, even if I only have one or two of them, I become convinced it is what I have. However when I read the symptoms of a disease that isn’t life threatening I dismiss it because I only have one or two them!!

x

QUOTE=Anxiouscow;2007577]The very fact you are juggling worries about different illnesses shows me that you are having a difficult period against the beast.

Being 52 is not a risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Let me just clarify, that an age related risk factor for that particular cancer begin at 75. You've got another 23 years before your age qualifies you for a higher risk.

Stomach pains, along with headaches and tiredness are the three most common ailments that people visit their doctor for in the UK. I can promise you that less than 1% of these people, maybe even less than 0.1% of these people with stomach pains, will have PC.

I suggest that you speak to your GP, and be vocal of your PC concerns. If they dismiss your worries for PC, ask them why they think you do not have it, and that should reassure you.

I can't diagnose you, but as people get older you can be more susceptible to food intolerances, which can cause the symptoms you describe. IBS, which goes hand in hand with anxiety, presents itself very similarly to the symptoms you have, and food intolerances and IBS are ten times more common than PC. But your brain doesn't focus on them because they can't kill you [/QUOTE]

Hi flatterycat,

omg i could absolutely have written your post. I’m 41 female and have similar and am also spiralling and people keep saying get paid reassurance.... but I just am to scared to go the drs because I’m thinking that or stomach or bowel😔
    I hope you get some positive news and I will be keeping my fingers and toes for you 🥰
    im sure you wille absolutely fine x

Hi Me180

Sorry you are in this pit of fear too. I saw my doctor 8 weeks ago (well a locum) who felt my tummy and said it was probably just acid, however I don’t get any burning chest pain at. I had blood tests - just the normal fbc and liver/kidney function which were all normal so I calmed down. I do have a constant sweet taste in my mouth which scares me is diabetes, but then I have had it since the end of 2017 and since then had blood tests for other reasons which were all normal so I just accepted it.

Sometimes my pains are very upper centre, sometimes more to the left. Mainly quick sharp stabbing pain. I can go hours or even days without it then it comes back. Like you I am terrified that it’s pc and keep crying. My husband thinks it’s stress related, having lost my mum in March, but for me this anxiety started after the pains began.

x

It’s hard for people to understand the pains caused the anxiety and not the other way around.

im sorry about your mum. It must be hard time for you and to have this on top. Maybe just let your go know their back and they may be able to give you that reassurance again.

i to worry about diabetes as I have a TERRIBLE sweet tooth but otherwise ok,but my optometrist mentioned it last time I had my glasses redone. But I am literally sick when I have the glucose test done, so have been putting it off.

Let me me know how you go, and I’ll let u know if I’m coreagous as you and get to the drs xx

I've had pains on my left side just below my ribs. I went to my GP as I was worried it was something serious after my Dad had just died of cancer (thymoma). She was very good. I was pretty sure it was anxiety but she offered an ultrasound scan and blood tests for reassurance. Everything was OK. The pain subsided and I only get it rarely now.

I think it's always worth seeing a doctor to get checked out and have that reassurance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information