I've been in the same job for about eleven years, and have had the same boss for around seven of those. One of the first things she did when she took up the role was try to make me redundant, and while we've always been civil it's fair to say there's been a lot of mutual mistrust ever since.

Anyway, getting to the point, this week has been a perfect storm for me in terms of hormones, a heavy professional and academic workload and more busy evenings than my anxiety and depression can easily cope with. Something came up at work, and I made a mildly dubious judgement call (refusing to work a 7-hour shift solo as a one-off). I upset a few people with this, and while I stand by my reasoning (I know I'm seen as safe hands while some other team members on the same money as me really aren't) I felt bad because I put somebody in a bad position when they had way too much personal stuff going on to need it.

Today, I was working solo and my boss came in and asked if I was okay, because I'd been behaving unusually and she knows about my MH issues. No judgement, just simple friendly concern.

I have waited SO DAMNED LONG and been so vocal about my condition (I have to, I'm a people pleaser and mostly good at hiding my bad days), I can't believe it finally happened that my health condition was acknowledged and validated.

Guys, we're making progress. If you feel brave enough, carry on advocating for yourself and others - we can get there one small step at a time!