Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: elderly father has hip fracture worried stick about him and in a state myself

Re: elderly father has hip fracture worried stick about him and in a state myself

Catkins - after my mum had called me I thought I would get to the bottom of it and managed to get through to the doctor in charge of my dad.

He was most distressed to learn of the effect that his call had had on my mum and full explained to me that that wasn't his intention. Just standard procedure to have a discussion about possible outcome scenarios. He explained that because my dad is a 'vulnerable' patient (on account of his cardiac situation), that they had to consider all possible outcomes. However, for the present my dad is progressing and all the post-op tests are positive so far.

Best of all, an hour after my call, he got back to me to say that due to no prevalence of the virus in the ward, he would relieve some of the restrictions so that my mum can go in and visit daily. That will benefit my dad (and the hospital staff) as her presence will definitely reassure and encourage his recovery. He then called my mum to give her the good news. Unfortunately, my dad is not mobile phone or tech savvy (he struggles with the TV remote and is the original BT phone dad) and we did try the tablet Facetime option but it confused him even more. Still dealing with a little post-op delirium. My mum's physical presence will do him more good.

Establishing a report with the doctor has definitely improved the situation and he was very sweet and considerate.

Re: elderly father has hip fracture worried stick about him and in a state myself

That's excellent news! Well done you for getting it sorted out.

Always a good idea to find out and speak to the doc in charge of your dad's care...if you can, that is! They are an elusive lot usually! You then get factual and up to date information as opposed to differing accounts from random individuals who just happen to pick up the ward phone.

Very glad that your mum now has daily access to him. That will make everyone feel better and more reassured as to his obvious progress.

I hope you will now be able to sleep a little better.

Just lucky for once to find a responsive doctor at the hospital. He has promised to keep me in the loop.

Right now I am trying to come down from 4 days of stress ... trapped wind, upset guts, buzzing feeling in my innards and fighting off a bit of nausea. Think a paracetamol or a glass of warm brandy is in order.

Thanks to all of you for your support and wise words.

Mom spent a couple of hours with him this evening and said he was looking a lot better, has ordered tomorrow's menu and is rather perturbed that he might have to be in there for a couple of weeks!

We are taking it one step at a time. My guts have finally calmed down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information