Thread: Starting Trazodone tonight

Talking Starting Trazodone tonight

Hey everyone!

I took 2-3 SSRIs in the past and all of them gave libido problems!
    Obviously this is quite the hinderance especially trying to get into relationships

I am going to be taking 100mg and its for anxiety.
    I am also going on a date tomorrow so I plan on taking it tonight at 11pm and then set
    my alarm for 10.30am so ill get plenty of rest.

What are your thoughts and advice about this med?
    I did a bit of research and this SARI is apparently great as it doesn't affect the libido

Anyways hope to hear from you all soon

Re: Starting Trazodone tonight

Hi there and welcome to NMP..

I took that for years until it stopped working and didn't have much problems with libido (then) on that one; compare to SSRIs. Been a long time though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Are you directed to take it every night, or just as needed?

Don't think too hard (no pun intended) about it and enjoy your date and just go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by irishman7 View Post
    Hey everyone!
    to NMP,

I took 2-3 SSRIs in the past and all of them gave libido problems!
    Obviously this is quite the hinderance especially trying to get into relationships
    Indeed, though there are ways of reducing the impact.

I am going to be taking 100mg and its for anxiety.
    Have you been prescribed immediate-release, or slow/extended-release tablets?

I am also going on a date tomorrow so I plan on taking it tonight at 11pm and then set
    my alarm for 10.30am so ill get plenty of rest.
    A good idea as trazodone can be quite sedating at lower doses. In fact these days it's mostly prescribed to treat SSRI/SNRI induces insomnia, not for anxiety or depression which is a pity, especially now slow-release formulations are available which are better at keeping plasma levels above the sedation threshold.

What are your thoughts and advice about this med?
    I did a bit of research and this SARI is apparently great as it doesn't affect the libido
    If it works then it is arguably a better option than the SSRI/SNRI meds. Instead of sexual dysfunction it may act as an aphrodisiac, though I wouldn't count on it as this probably occurs much less often than online chatter suggests.

You may find Stephen Stahl's: Mechanism of Action of Trazodone: a Multifunctional Drug (PDF) of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel73 View Post
    Hi there and welcome to NMP..

I took that for years until it stopped working and didn't have much problems with libido (then) on that one; compare to SSRIs. Been a long time though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Are you directed to take it every night, or just as needed?

Don't think too hard (no pun intended) about it and enjoy your date and just go with it.

Hey thanks for the reply much appreciated!

Can you remember what dose you were taking when you were on it? were you taking it for anxiety or depression

Im taking it every night, 6 week trial to see how it goes. Fingers crossed it works out

Today went really well, was nervous taking it last night but I slept great and today I was a bit groggy but after a while it wore off and I was nice and relaxed
    No anxiety at all on the date which is even better

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    to NMP,

Indeed, though there are ways of reducing the impact.

Have you been prescribed immediate-release, or slow/extended-release tablets?

A good idea as trazodone can be quite sedating at lower doses. In fact these days it's mostly prescribed to treat SSRI/SNRI induces insomnia, not for anxiety or depression which is a pity, especially now slow-release formulations are available which are better at keeping plasma levels above the sedation threshold.

If it works then it is arguably a better option than the SSRI/SNRI meds. Instead of sexual dysfunction it may act as an aphrodisiac, though I wouldn't count on it as this probably occurs much less often than online chatter suggests.

You may find Stephen Stahl's: Mechanism of Action of Trazodone: a Multifunctional Drug (PDF) of interest.

Hello there and thanks very much for the reply!

How do I know which one I got? Is it printed on the med or anything? It just says molipaxin 100mg would that be the normal immediate release ones?
    Think the half life is 10+ hours, would that be any good?

I find today I had no bad start up affects like in the past with ssri's. Today only felt a bit tired and woozy but overall so far so good
    Im really hoping they help with my anxiety as its really annoying overthinking every possible scenario even though deep down I know ill be okay
    seems like my mind puts ideas into my head and then I get really anxious its awful sometimes :(

Thanks very much for sharing the PDF more info I have the better!

Quote Originally Posted by irishman7 View Post
    How do I know which one I got? Is it printed on the med or anything? It just says molipaxin 100mg would that be the normal immediate release ones?
    Think the half life is 10+ hours, would that be any good?
    Extended-, low- or slow-release pills usually have XL, or SR in the product name. Molipaxin 100mg capsules apparently contain immediate-release trazodone. I'm guessing your GP has prescribed it to see if you can tolerate it and intends to switch you to a slow-release formulation if trazodone works well for you.

I find today I had no bad start up affects like in the past with ssri's. Today only felt a bit tired and woozy but overall so far so good
    This is usually the main trazodone initial side-effect and often the only one.

Im really hoping they help with my anxiety as its really annoying overthinking every possible scenario even though deep down I know ill be okay
    seems like my mind puts ideas into my head and then I get really anxious its awful sometimes :(
    That is pretty much a description of anxiety disorders. The anticipation is almost always worse than the reality.

Thread Information